346xp, 357xp (firewood saw)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampamp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey folks....I'm a big Husqvarana fan and was curious on your pro thoughts here. I cut around 30 face a year for firewood and manage a little property. Which saw works the best (346 or 357)? I know the stats on both and the extra pound or so is fine for the 357xp. Just wondering if I will notice a heck of a difference between the 2 saws. Mainly firewood saw, keep in mind. I've used a 350 for quite sometime, but is probably on it's last legs maybe. The 350 does bog down a bit when it's deep in wood. Although, I've heard the 346 revs high and is a good perfomer. Heck, I would imagine I'd see a difference between the 350 and 346 too (3.2hp to 3.7hp). I always here about folks referring to the 346 as a good limbing saw since it's only 11lbs (minus the equip), but could it function as a workhorse for firewood? Probably run a 18" bar, 0.325, 0.058", full chisel. Thoughts? Sounds like they are doing away with the 357xp as well.....I've got dibs at a dealer with one.....just starting to think about it.

I've never run a 357 so I can't give you an experienced comparison, but if the wood was 10" or less the 346 would be great. If the wood is gonna be bigger, then a bigger saw would save you time, effort and your back. Does the 350 have enough power for what your cutting now? If so then the 346 is just more of a good thing. However it really is best and shines when limbing, thats what its designers intended. I doubt it was ever intended to be a firewood saw. We just use it for that purpose. Hold the 357 and see how it feels. I held a 257 and hated it as it felt heavier than my 044. Make sure to get a very good price on that 357 if you intend to buy it since it is discontinued. Otherwise you might consider the 555 since it is considered a significant improvement.

I use my 346 for up to 16" wood. If you are cutting alot of wood bigger than that you might enjoy the larger saw. There was a 555 listed in the classified that you might be interested in.

If an 18" bar will suit your cutting needs, then a 346 will make you very happy. You will give up some cutting speed that is most noticeable in 14"+ wood, but the time will be more than offset by the increase in limbing speed, and in being able to stand up straight the next day...I have both, and just about every other saw in/near this size class, and the 346 gets the most use by a fair margin.

I have a 346XP with a 16" bar and a 359 with a 20. If I had to choose one to have for everything it'd be the 359. More displacement, and pulls a longer chain with more authority. I like to switch back and forth for fun and to keep seeing which one I like better...so far the 359 still wins.

You could use the 346XP for an all around firewood saw and be very happy though...it all depends on what you're making your 10 cords a year out of. If you're cutting a whole mess of 14" diameter and smaller the 346 will do just fine, but if you hit larger 18-24" stuff with any regularity I'd go with the bigger displacement saw.

In either case, do a simple muffler mod and get that sucker cranking.

I've got a 2153 and 555. I'm not real impressed with the 2153 even after a muffler mod. The 555 is way stronger when you start getting over 8" sized wood. The 555 I had listed on there has around 10 tanks through it and would make you a nice firewood saw. The 2153 seems to do ok in the real small wood and is barely lighter feeling in the hands. I really regret buying the 2153 now since I had a 555.

For the price and capabilities Mike's 555 in the classifieds is a good buy.

Murph has 346xp s in the classifieds as well. Both take good care of their equipment and are solid AS members. I'd buy from either if in your position with confidence.

Welcome to AS, and watch out for CAD....stay here and you will have enough saws for 100 face cords a year and not really work any one saw too hard!

I'm a real 60cc fan. It hits the sweet spot for me. If it's going to be the only or main saw for you then get the 357/359.

If you sense an addiction starting then get the 346 and a 372

I bought my 346xp from Neal (nmurph). I read a ton of his posts before I bought the saw. I bought it without thinking twice. I assumed it would be spotless on the inside and run perfectly and it is and it does. Love the saw.

I also have read a ton of mdavlee's posts. I would have bought his 555 in a heartbeat had I not owned a 362. Heartbeat.

I also agree in not overusing saws. Mine overlap a bit and I like that. I'm going out right now to finish off an old stump with my ms250. Why the 250? Because I don't ever use the back-up 18" bar on it, have 2 perfect chains that will be well served for this purpose. I learned that on THIS site. Otherwise that bar would never have been used again, except in some emergency.

A ton of common sense on this site and the occasional BS is kind of interesting at times too...

346xp

I cut firewood (15+ full cords a year) for 10 years with one saw... A 346xp. :D

I now have two 346xp's, a 357xp, 562xp and a 365. All great saws!

I ran the 357xp more this and last year than the others and have gained great respect for it as a pure firewood saw. BUT I still like the 346xp better.

I used to cut everything with the 346, but now use it most on wood under 18". The larger saws are just faster in larger wood.

If your 350 is doin the job for you, the 346xp will be a nice step up in performance, but you really can not go wrong with the 357xp.

Like said, take a look at the 555 and 562xp. New Husky's on the block. :msp_smile:

for me it is a close call, but if I had to choose one for firewood, it would be the 357

either one will make you happy-

10 chord a year? 562 or better yet, 372/576...

Last edited:
Size matters .... But age matters more

20 -40 = 372

50 = 357

60 = 346

I have em all. Kind of depends on how young I'm feeling for the day. These days, the 372 sits a little more than it used to :eek:(

I have read all replys so far and agree with most of them. I cut for firewood and tree jobs (but mostly firewood) and here is my experience. I have a 346 and a 359 and find that I have a hard time picking between the two because they are both outstanding for fire wood. For the majority of my firewood, the 346 is the first thing I grab. In my area, the hills are steep and I am usually cutting on the side of a hill and rolling the chunks down to the truck. The 346 is light and fast and handles a 18" .325 set up very well. I cut lots of oak, beech, ash, locust............the hardwoods and this saw does excellent.

The 359 is heavier and has more torque for the 20" bar with 3\8 chain and when I burry that bar, this saw puts a smile on my face. As said before, if I were going to be cutting rounds say......15" diameter and smaller, the 346 would meet all my needs. If I were cutting wood that required a 20" bar frequently, I would want the 359 power to run it, esp. if I were cutting wood on level ground and could pull my truck right up to it. If you are doing a lot of limb work and trim up, the 359 is going to wear you down. It is not too heavy, it is just heavier than the 346. A two saw plan for firewood (50cc and 60cc) is an excellent set up if budget allows, this is my personel experience.

Having said that, my Dad cut all of our home heating firewood for almost 10 years with a husqvarna 44. It had a 16" bar and was a bullet proof saw. The point is, Dad bought a quality saw, maintained it and used it with in its limitations and he was well satisfied. BTW after 20+ years of firewood cutting, that 44 is still going strong.

Last edited:
Don't think you can go wrong with your choice. Way I look at it, you will be moving up from your 350 to a pro class saw. I think you'll be happy with it. Your comment "350 about wore out", leads me to believe that you are thinking of staying with a one saw plan. Most replies addressing the one saw option seem to prefer the 60 cc class for firewood (Options of 357XP or 555 non pro but latest technology). I Others have suggested two saw plan 50cc and 70cc to allow you to choose the appropriate tool depending on which size you are cutting. More so, others have introduced the "addiction" =CAD, it generally happens after you start reading and posting on AS. If that's the case buy used pro saws from AS members - I have the 50cc class (Jred 2149 Turbo), 60cc class (359) and 70cc class (372). When I first bought the 372, I thought utopia, the power was phenomenal, couldn't need any more, well now that I've ran it a bit, I'm thinking about how I can get more power out of it........Bottomline cutting wood can be a chore or it can be an opportunity to run some of the finest tools available. I look forward to the opportunities.

Back