346XP Clutch cover swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have a 562 in your sig. No need to try a 460 cover, you either prefer how the 562 works, the 3 series saws you have, or you don't care.
I only see an advantage for when you are swapping chains - when I'm felling or cutting firewood I hand sharpen and use one chain all day. When I'm doing a job where if I stop, others get held up, and when that job happens to be a wire/nail/stone filled mess I swap chains every time I damage a chain. Sometimes that is often!

I'm not suggesting it's hard on the 346/359 etc. just saying it's easier with the 562 style adjuster.
I really never noticed, so I guess I don't care. :)

I also run one chain all day, or multiple days and sharpen with a file. Chain has to be very bad before I swap it out.

I have found that swapping chains on the 346/357 style adjuster simply requires backing off the tensioner significantly before mounting the new chain. Always ready to go with no back and forth issues. 2 extra seconds at removal, 2 extra seconds at tightening. If you charged $100/hr, that's only an added $0.11 for this added time :D

I have found that swapping chains on the 346/357 style adjuster simply requires backing off the tensioner significantly before mounting the new chain. Always ready to go with no back and forth issues. 2 extra seconds at removal, 2 extra seconds at tightening. If you charged $100/hr, that's only an added $0.11 for this added time :D

I would agree, it's not a HUGE deal...I can tolerate the other style but I like this one better. I never said this mod would cure cancer and stop world hunger, it just makes things a little easier and I wanted to put the info out there for others so they know. Plus, it makes it easier for a Stihl guy to like his huskys.

Troll: 460 Cover is mag. If it were plastic, definitely would not have swapped. I'm not a fan of plastic clutch covers.

Since I don't have a 460 to look at, is the adjuster on the 346 in the body and the adjuster on the 460 in the cover? Haven't decided which I like better, kinda leaning to the adjuster in the saw.

Look at the original post, the pictures show the 460 cover. And yes, the 460 has the adjuster in the cover where as the 346 chain adjuster is behind the chain guide plate in the saw itself. Personal preference really but to me, If one were to need a clutch cover anyway, I'd definitely buy the 460 cover. They do the same job at tightening the chain, but the cover mounted adjuster gives me less hassle when swapping bar/chains.

Thanks, that clears it up a bit. I find it easier to line up the bar on the studs and the adjuster on the saw, more difficult to line up the adjuster pin in the side cover and the two bar studs at the same time.
Me too

Old thread but with this mod I am not getting good oil to my bar it seeps past where the grooves are in that rancher cover. Anything you guys did to fix this?

Latest posts

Back