346xp OE Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Full Chisel

Slingin' Stihls and runnin' Huskies
Reaction score
Bought this 346 off fleabay for a song a while back with the intention of rebuilding it. It was a runner but apparently it took a fall or a log fell on it because the top cover was missing and the cylinder was missing almost half of the fins. I had been looking for a 346 project for a bit after buying a good condition used 42mm P&C from a member here that upgraded his to an NE 44.3mm top end.

Had to replace quite a few odds and ends and the clutch and drum which was not original and did not allow the brake to engage(smaller diameter than stock). Hoping for good compression with a caber ring and base gasket delete. Sealed it up with motoseal...fingers crossed and giving it 24hrs for good measure. Muffler mod in the works to let her breathe.

Looking forward to seeing how this one performs compared to the 350s!

20160619_132418.jpg 20160709_113139.jpg 20160709_144128.jpg 20160709_175921.jpg 20160709_180004.jpg 20160709_180032.jpg

just for everyones info, i bought a modded gypo 346 from timber tool. i pulled it apart and the only mod done was he electrical taped a reed in the intake port! i'm still pissed! the muffler mod was a fiberglassed deflector to the muffler. smoked like hell and stunk like a gay1212 bag'o'dicks. he said it was a great performer.

just for everyones info, i bought a modded gypo 346 from timber tool. i pulled it apart and the only mod done was he electrical taped a reed in the intake port! i'm still pissed! the muffler mod was a fiberglassed deflector to the muffler. smoked like hell and stunk like a gay1212 bag'o'dicks. he said it was a great performer.

Sounds like a turd, lmao!

I used a metal clamp with the old partition and even used sealer around the flange...don't think that is the culprit. Could be seals, probably should have gone ahead and replaced them while I was in it.

I used a metal clamp with the old partition and even used sealer around the flange...don't think that is the culprit. Could be seals, probably should have gone ahead and replaced them while I was in it.
I have an old OE that runs funny, can't tune it. I suspect seals & will replace em this Fall.

Just for kicks I swapped out the HDA159A with the Zama out of the 350 and it ran perfect at first but once it warmed up a bit it started racing. Had my hopes up for about 10 seconds, lol.

Guess I'll start with the seals and go from there. I really hope it's not leaking at the base.

First clean both flat surfaces then use a blue felt marker on one of the flats then rub the cylinder hard against the crankcase to make sure you have good mating surfaces.

Well I pulled the cylinder and the seal looked awfully thin so I resealed it with a thicker bead this time. Hopefully that does it but I'm not holding my breath. I looked at the partition closely and I didn't see any tears. I have access to a mityvac at work so if it is still leaking I will probably pressure/vac test it.

How difficult is it to get the seals out? Is there a special tool for that?

Nice to see you around again, old-cat!

Back