346xp OE Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try opening LO speed first a bit.If no improvement,then air leak somewhere. If you could take an air leak test,that would give the right answer right away instead of guessing. I understand you probably dont have the tester,it would be a nice investment for the future.

Intake manifold should be fine, the whole intake assembly was replaced with OEM parts during rebuild this past summer and the saw has not been yanked on...big no-no in my book.

It's not a tuning issue, it runs like a top upright but stumbles quickly on its side. The saw passed a pressure/vac test when rebuilt, although there was a very slight leakdown...can't remember if it was with pressure or vacuum. One held steady at 10psi, the other slowly lost it but I thought it was slow enough to ignore. I'm guessing the leak has slowly gotten worse with run time. I pulled the muffler and checked the piston which looked fine with machine marks showing.

Anyone else want to chime in? Have I pretty much narrowed it down by replacing fuel line and checking the carb and cylinder bolts? Anything else other than crank seals that would cause it to run funny on its side?

not sure if it's been mentioned as i don't want to go back through the thread half tanked lol. what carb is on this saw? was it rebuilt? did it do any sitting after the rebuild? the zama diaphragms are ****. i like the walbro's on these saws for reliability. i have had many issues with the zama's on these saws if the diaphragms are not fresh. if the saw is sealed up with good compression it's all i got! at least in my current state lol

I'll try that. It has a Zama in it but I have an HDA195 sitting around. I can get carb kits super cheap through work so I can rebuild it if need be. I just rebuilt the HDA199 that was in the ported 350/346 because it was acting weird...seemed to do the trick.

Anybody else ever seen a carb do this? Any idea what would cause it to run like that? It's like it starves for fuel on its side. Guess I'll order a carb kit for it.

Back