346xp oil leaking out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidsinatree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a new 346xp and love it, but the only thing I dont like is when not in use it leaks bar oil out onto the garage floor....not just alittle its a good size puddle after a few days. I bought the saw from Baileys so shipping it back for repair is not something I want to do.

Anyone have this happen to them?
Is it a oil pump seal problem?
How to fix?

I'm finding my self not wanting to use this saw because I'll have to dump oil back out after use. PITA
However this saw is a real screamer!!!!!!

Thanks

The first thing I would try is to unscrew the oil cap to let out any over-pressure in the tank, and then screw it back in, just before you put the saw away.

Seems there would have to be a way for air to get in, otherwise a vacume would be created when it uses bar oil. Perhaps it has a one way valve?????

I had the same problem with my saws until the good folks on this site told me about opening the oil cap to relieve the pressure before storing the saw. It works great and I have no more leaks.

I don't understand why it works (pressure? siphoning? heating/cooling of the saw?), but I can't argue with the results.

The next time you change the sprocket, go ahead and remove the chrome dust cover and look at it. Husky went to a very chincy, crappy design and I'm very disappointed. There isn't even a tube to carry oil from the oiler to the bar, it's just a little rubber flap pressed against the back of the chrome dust cover, and then a channel between the cover and case over to the bar. I have another 346XP that's 3 years old and it doesn't leak, at least it has a tube to carry the oil. What a piss-poor design on the new one though.
:mad:

twistedtree said:
.... I don't understand why it works (pressure? siphoning? heating/cooling of the saw?), but I can't argue with the results.
Ditto, I don't understand it either. :confused:
I just suggested that he try it, as it works at least in some "leaking cases", and is simple to try.
Of course, it doesn't cover all sorts of chain oil leaks.....

346's do have oil tank vents. Its located between the bar studs. Since it is low on the tank, and there isn't a tube to the top of the tank. It has a check ball to let air into the tank and not let oil out. If it leaks from between the bar studs the check ball in the vent is stuck open. If it's leaking from around the pump, it's probably the heat from the crankcase expanding the oil and air in the tank.

okay.. lots and lots of saws on here leaking oil (some more than others). I have a 272xp that will half drain the tank if left long enough. It is leaking from the vent hole between the bar studs. I checked the vent hose in the tank and it appears to be intact and tight on the tube it is attached to. This would lead me to believe that it is syphoning/draining the oil until the level drops below the vent line. A couple options are storing the saw on it's side (hate that) or raising the vent tube in the tank to near the top of the tank.

The real question I have is: why is there not a check valve on the tank vent tube to prevent this situation? Is one available? Is there a check ball located somewhere that is serviceable?

I have blown through the vent tube and it is wide open - no check ball or valve evident.

I sure would appreciate if some knowledgeable person here could solve this very messy problem.

Chris

not a fix

I have a new 346xp and love it, but the only thing I dont like is when not in use it leaks bar oil out onto the garage floor....not just alittle its a good size puddle after a few days. I bought the saw from Baileys so shipping it back for repair is not something I want to do.

Anyone have this happen to them?
Is it a oil pump seal problem?
How to fix?

I'm finding my self not wanting to use this saw because I'll have to dump oil back out after use. PITA
However this saw is a real screamer!!!!!!

Thanks

Buy a kiity litter box and some kitty litter for your saw to rest in, this way you will always have some kitty litter handy if you spill oil and your saw will have a home.:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

Seems a lot of people don't mind throwing good money after bad here. Seen many ways mentioned on various threads of containing the mess, but no one seems to want to stop the leaks. Well here is a little jem that is going to solve my problem once and for all. It's a tiny inline check valve for a model airplane fuel line. I will let you know the final outcome, but hopefully this is the end of pouring sticky oil everywhere I set the saw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fourmost-Airplane-One-Way-Auto-Plug-Gas-Valve_W0QQitemZ120196173112QQihZ002QQcategoryZ34056QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

Chris

Seems a lot of people don't mind throwing good money after bad here. Seen many ways mentioned on various threads of containing the mess, but no one seems to want to stop the leaks. Well here is a little jem that is going to solve my problem once and for all. It's a tiny inline check valve for a model airplane fuel line. I will let you know the final outcome, but hopefully this is the end of pouring sticky oil everywhere I set the saw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fourmost-Airpla...ryZ34056QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

Chris
Well, how did it work?

Well I have had this valve in my saw's oil vent line for a few months now and it seems to work like a charm! No more puddles everywhere I set the saw, just the occasional drip off the bar, but really nothing to speak of. This valve should be standard equipment on all Husky saws.

Cheers,

Chris

Latest posts

Back