346XP or 254XP for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

272super

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've heard the 254xp is a Husky classic. I've not seen alot of direct comparisons to modern day saws. I have a 346 in both versions. If you owners had to choose between the 346xp and the 254xp as a firewood saw,which is going to get the nod? I recently acquired a 254xp project saw that needs just a little work to get going. From what I read, it sounds like it's going to to be a mean SOB. I know the 254 will have more power and will weigh more than the 346. The 346 should be smoother, I suppose.

I may sell one when the dust settles,but was curious how the 254 compares to a current classic like the 346. I'm guessing,quite well.

Last edited:
The 254xp is clearly stronger, but also heavier and not nearly as smooth. Both are excellent saws for what you do!:msp_smile:

Don't sell any of those saws, you will surely regret it!

Tough choice . Like Saw Troll said try not to sell any . I own a 254XP and it is a awesome saw . I have run a 346XP a few times . You can definitely lean on the 254 more it is a noticeably more powerful saw . If I had to have just one it would be the 254 . Light enough for limbing strong enough to fell and buck the firewood size stuff I cut . And still fuel efficient . But when the right used 346 comes my way I will own it and the 254 will not be for sale .

Last edited:
I cut 10-15 cords a year for 9 years with just one saw. Yep, the old 346xp. One saw plan, then I found this place and now have more saws than I can use.:D

The 254xp is a good saw, but I like the size of the 346 Mo better. I had a 254 for a little while, still have two 346s'

Keep em both! :cheers:

Only one way to answer this question. Get that 254 running and put them all to work.

Then no matter which ine you like the best, keep them all and look for more!

Set them up for different purposes. If the 254 is stronger but heavier, put a bigger bar on it for the times you run into a larger cut. Keep the 346 with smaller bar (smaller then the 254) for that nimble, almost poetic dance around the fresh fallen tree with the maze of branches.

I like Half_full plan, not the dancing part but the set up part :msp_thumbup: The consence is get the 254 running and keep both.

I love my 346 but for firewood my 254 gets used the majority of the time. Probably my favorite saw. If you decide to let your's go I'd definately be interested.

I am newbie.But i noticed that i like more the 346,maybe the weight?Instead the 254 i always choose the 262.

Back