352 Stump Grinder Trouble..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLACOSTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I can't believe it no sooner did a thread appear about a 352 stumpgrinder and its problems ,then my one decides to breakdown on me today :bang: .

I got to the job site positioned the grinder to the stump flicked the cutter wheel engage switch and you guessed it the cutter wheel won't engage/spin [the machine has 45 hours on the clock] I checked for loose wires etc but nothing was loose or missing ,there was no obvious noise coming from the engine or drive shaft or anywhere else for that matter. A Vermeer fitter is coming out in the morning they think it's a clutch problem..:mad:

Don't know why these manufacturers insist on putting electric clutches on stump grinders, I have burned 2 out on my rayco, First one actually flamed up and molton ball bearing were all over the ground.:blob2: I say bring back the old lever engage, it was simple, easy to adjust and lasted a loooong time.
Hope they find the problem and get you running soon.

Something similar happened to the Vermeer dealer here on a demo. The cutter wheel stopped turning. The machine was working fine for about 15 hours and then just stopped turning. Turned out the factory forgot to put a keyway on the bottom wheel so it just began slipping. Maybe the same problem with yours.

Well it turned out a fuse had blown,the fuse is situated in the little box containing the birds nest of wires etc it also houses the ignition barrel [you should be familier with this box if your a 352 owner]

The reason the fuse burnt out we believe was caused by a relay coming loose again this is housed in the box/ ignition area. The relay is held in place with a very silly imo small plastic cable tie,the fitter is certain that this is the cause of my problem and fitted 3 cable ties to hold the relay in place..

NOW ALL THEY WILL HAVE TO DO IS FIX THE STEERING RAM OIL LEAK..apoart from a few silly problems i'm still very happy with my grinder,my old 252 gave me a few problems in the first 6 months after that i had 3 years of trouble free grinding

Ohh and my machine has the new clutch already fitted ,my problems weren't in anyway clutch related

well done Rolla....i wasn't too far off with my fuse related diagnosis then.....(glad i now know where to find them...)...oh..back on some sub'ed council work thursday....we will see how we get on...

Electric Clutchs

Carlton Have gone away from the electric clutch because of relability problems
all new 4 wheel machines have slide rail engagement which is simple and adjusts the belt tention every time you use the machine.
If you have an electric clutch then up grade to a rivited back plate type as the spot welded clutchs are cheaper ands dont last:bang: .
call us we are happy to help.

Electric Clutch

If you have a non working electric clutch try taking it to a shop that rebuilds starters and alternators. I have a guy locally that rebuilds mine for about 25% of the cost of a new one.

Latest posts

Back