353 E-tech

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammahdown

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Would it be beneficial to put a 357xp carb on a 353? Looking for a little more power. Would a carb switch make a noticeable amount of difference? I've got a non-cat muffler on the way. What do you guys think? I know a 346 top end would bolt up as well, but I'm mainly interested in the carb right now.

Not unless it is really ported.

maybe you need a 357 or 562?

Oh I know I need a bigger saw....need a 70cc class, so I can have a 2 saw firewood operation. Doing it all with the 353 isn't a lot of fun. I had already planned on porting the 353. Need to get the new muffler on it first, to see where I'm at.

Ditch the cat muffler if that is what E-TECH means, and get rid of some weight.

The 346xp and the 353 already have reasonably large carbs, compared to most other 50cc saws (15 mm venturi). I don't think there will be much gains from a larger one, unless it is ported with that in mind?

Oh I know I need a bigger saw....need a 70cc class, so I can have a 2 saw firewood operation. Doing it all with the 353 isn't a lot of fun. I had already planned on porting the 353. Need to get the new muffler on it first, to see where I'm at.

It will be a lot more fun ported! :msp_wink:

Or would it just make more sense to swap in a 346 top end, and then port it? I know the 353 cylinder has some limitations, and the 346 can be made to run much stronger. Ideally I just want a fast, strong running 50cc in the end.

You can do it either way. There is a little improvement with the 346 NE P&C

But using the existing 353 cylinder is more cost effective.

The 353 has a little more displacement over the 346 NE also.

Both can be ported and the 353 can be made to run pretty good.

I was told by a well-respected member here that most 353s would benefit from deleting the base gasket and using a thin layer of proper sealant (yamabond or loctite 518 for example) as long as the squish stayed above .020". This along with a modded muffler is supposed to really wake these saws up.

I was told by a well-respected member here that most 353s would benefit from deleting the base gasket and using a thin layer of proper sealant (yamabond or loctite 518 for example) as long as the squish stayed above .020". This along with a modded muffler is supposed to really wake these saws up.

What People tend to forger when doing that, is that the port timing will be changed as well - I don't know how much it matters though.....

a MM and non cat REALLY woke mine up, as well as a retune and such. Just be careful where you put the new hole in the muffler. mine is melting my top cover so i am going to re route it a little bit!

Im telling you, its a little screamer.

Interesting...I appreciate the help fellas. I'm not super knowledgeable about saws, yet....but will get there. When I get the new muffler, I'm sure I'll need some help with the muffler mod. Still up in the air about the top end. I see that there is a guy that sells aftermarket 346 top ends for $90 on eBay, but I don't think they are the same as the NE top ends.

Interesting...I appreciate the help fellas. I'm not super knowledgeable about saws, yet....but will get there. When I get the new muffler, I'm sure I'll need some help with the muffler mod. Still up in the air about the top end. I see that there is a guy that sells aftermarket 346 top ends for $90 on eBay, but I don't think they are the same as the NE top ends.

Don't get a AM 346 top end off Ebay. The AM stuff is not as good as OEM stuff! No need to replace the 353 top end unless it's burned up.

Back