357 xp new muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey y'all

I did my 357 muffler mod by simply adding a 3/8" round hole in the (front ) upper left corner (facing saw) only. I did not find it helps to change the inner baffle, as the existing (baffle) hole is quite large, and I didn't want to disturb the inner tube either. The baffle keeps the noise reasonable also, which I appreciate as I get older.

To add the 3/8 hole"

Assume using a genuine Husqvarna part(avoid A.M. as these are more restrictive).
Remove muffler from saw.
clean out any loose carbon or black sludge (insert link to oil thread here:drinkingcoffee:) .
take ball peen hammer and make a flat dent area in very upper left hand corner-hold muffler in your hand to do this step. Try to orient flat at an angle towards bar a bit.
mark center of flat area with a centerpunch to start small drill.
use a step drill to finish making 3/8 hole.
deburr hole completely.
wash muffler with solvent and soap and water, check for any metallic dust or chips
before installing muffler.
delete spark screen from top opening if law allows.
repaint muffler if very rusty.

The piped mufflers for these saws also give them a deeper, throaty sound that I like better than just opening up the stock oulet. I usually close the stock oulet because I dont like it melting the top cover like it has a tendency to do.]
I hear that. Do you just slide a plate where the screen was?

I hear that. Do you just slide a plate where the screen was?
That is exactly what I do, usually use a piece of the wide pallet banding metal, steel siding, etc. Use the spark screen for a pattern and just slide the block off metal in place of the screen. This way you can use the original opening if ever you'd want to and its pretty easy. The harder part is doing the pipe!

What size pipe do you go with for a 357 if you block off the original port facing the cylinder?

Thanks

Yup, 3/4 inch. I guy could go bigger, I'm sure. I was basically just wanting to get the factory opening closed off to keep the top cover from melting like they are prone to do. I like the deeper, throaty sound that the pipes produce, too.
c67faf30d9d5fe1c2c449cc991d5cb1c.jpg
7d0132fb5d9532535543a914109bb889.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

It looks bad ass too. Yeah it doesn't make alot of sense to throw hot exhaust at an air cooled engine eh.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back