357xp parts help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzaro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m back.
After getting my chain brake issue taken care of it seemed like the chain wasn’t oiling properly. I got into it and it appears the gear that turns the oil pump is stripped out. I also noticed the needle bearing was missing a bearing so I’m going to get one of those as well. However, when I started looking at parts diagrams there were two part numbers for pieces in the assembly. Seems to be based on the chain size .325 vs 3/8”? How can I determine which parts will fit. I’ve got a 3/8” chain and my sprocket is 3/8”. I got the saw used though so I’m not sure of the year or how much they vary. There are lots of choices for year ranges in the parts diagrams.
Also, the saw leaks bar oil while it’s sitting. It seems to be in the area where the oil pump is sandwiched between the oil pump lines from the reservoir and to the bar.

d4288752dd886271020b28ea28d76383.jpg

64bdef48f8a3582b240477f0275e1687.jpg

6c603aa589882a1acc93fb9705227bd9.jpg

Neither of those two parts should change based on chain pitch. The only thing I can think is that there was a change in crank assemblies because of connecting rod width. Again though, that shouldn't have changed those parts. Someone more familiar than me with 357s should have your answer. I would take those two parts right to my husky dealer along with a serial number from the saw and let them sort it out.

Take/Put up a pic of the top of the plastic worm drive, and one of the backside of the sprocket.
You will see why there are 2 different part numbers for that same part.

Well now that makes sense. I had issue with a 350 and I figured the parts saw was just thrown together. I guess I've always been lucky before that one. I love this place. Does the bearing change too?

They do change, if you run .325 chain you have to use the 346 clutch drum & oil pump drive.
If the plastic oil pump drive is stripped make sure the oil pump turns, that's what usually strips that gear.

It does turn. How much resistance should there be? It’s pretty easy to turn with a thumb and forefinger but it won’t really turn with one finger running across the top.

No, the worm/drive is unique to the sprocket.
It must mate with the sprocket, thus the correct pitch is essential.

It mates with the clutch drum. Unless you’re meaning both go on the clutch drum and must match for width?

bee84513f7189ed3fe75c0c4756699df.jpg

Back