359 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_In_VT

Brrraaaaap!
Reaction score
Recently swapped some stuff for a non running husky 359.
Got it on the bench, yup, it's an Etech. Nice looking saw though, seems to be in good overall condition.
Compression test = 50psi o_O Wait, saws won't run on 50psi compression?
Pull the muffler, yep, it's scored. One reason I love these huskies is how easy they are to work on. I was able to pull the jug in less than 5 minutes, just easy.
Lifted the jug off and the intake boot falls right off :dizzy: That stupid :mad: plastic intake boot clamp. There's the likely cause of the meltdown. The CAT muffler probably didn't help much.
[photo="medium"]2048[/photo]
[photo="medium"]2049[/photo]

A little bit of acid, and alot of elbow grease with emery cloth and a scotchbrite pad, and it cleaned up pretty decent I'd say. There is a funny indent above the exhaust port, barely visible but I can feel it. Not transfer. There's very small pits here and there. I think it'll be alright to run though.

[photo="medium"]2050[/photo]

So, gonna order a new meteor piston for it. Gonna get a non cat muffler. Gonna fix that stupid clamp.

The removable transfer covers intrigue me. Minor port work with minimal tools? The bottom of the tranfers are at least gonna get "unrestricted"
Muffler mod and base gasket delete, then we'll see how it runs against my stock 357xp.

Both saws have the walbro 199 carb that everyone labels as problematic. I've never had an ounce of trouble with the walbro on my 357xp. I'm gonna see how the walbro on the 359 does.
Is there a "fix" for the walbro carb? I'd rather not buy a new carb if I don't need to.

I don't think the boot is torn, so I'm gonna try to just trim the clamp part and use a hose clamp.

I'm gonna see if I can get a used OEM muffler from the chainsawr, and just exchange my CAT muffler and pay the price difference. I don't want to mess with the catalytic part. I'll just drill out an OEM one and add a deflector.

Thanks for the vid on the 199 fix!

And possibly venture into my first port job. 359's are supposed to be easy with the removable transfer covers.
I don't have a good dremel tool, think I can port it with round and flat chainsaw files? :ices_rofl: :chainsaw:

I have the same saw and did the same work to it you are talking about it was my first port job and it runs great after and was very easy to do I only did the transfers and very little to the actual port just opened everything up a bit removed the base gasket and a mm a lot better than before

You'll have another very good saw when done. Don't hog out the lower transfers too much, I like to just match the lower cylinder transfers with the base... I fixed up a scored 359 for my brother a couple years ago and he loves it! I also have a very clean 359 on the bench that will get a 357 top-end at some point.

You'll have another very good saw when done. Don't hog out the lower transfers too much, I like to just match the lower cylinder transfers with the base... I fixed up a scored 359 for my brother a couple years ago and he loves it! I also have a very clean 359 on the bench that will get a 357 top-end at some point.

I already have a 357xp. I was thinking about maybe swapping top ends if this jug didn't clean up. Still might, 357xp on 359, 359 on 357xp? Only reason I'd do that is because my 357xp is a bit beat up. Has a break out of the case underneath the flywheel. Still runs fine though. This 359 is overall in better condition though.
I actually don't use the 357 that much anymore. It's usually my 372xp, and the 357 is my "small saw". I threw a 16" bar on it. I really want a 346xp, so I'm thinking one of these two, 357xp or 359, will end up being trade fodder for a 346xp or dolmar 5100.

chainsawparts100_5877292_large.jpg
Old style

AND

1000x1000.jpg

New style.

If you have the plastic clamp, I would certainly be changing it out for the metal clamp. I am going to try and trim the plastic down and use a metal hose clamp or 372xp intake boot clamp.

Do you have a part number for the updated clamp kit? Does husky provide them free as a replacement for a defective part? If not what is the cost of updated parts?

Do you have a part number for the updated clamp kit? Does husky provide them free as a replacement for a defective part? If not what is the cost of updated parts?

Service Bulletin for 357XP, 359, 353, 346XP
This service bulletin is not new. I thought that there might be some out there who were not aware of it so here it is. If your saw has a black plastic clamp around the intake right next to the cylinder it is applicable to it. If the clamp is of steel construction then you should be ok.

B0600023
SERVICE

*537 43 88-01*
*compl 537 25 13-02
English 1 (1)

SB, 357 XP, 359, 353, 346 XP,
Partition wall and clamp for intake system,
2006-03

The existing intake system on 357XP, 359,353 and 346XP currently consists of an integrated plastic clamp in the partition wall. As the clamp is made of plastic, there is a risk of deformation. This results in impaired clamping force against the cylinder, which in turn can result in leakage in the intake system. To prevent this from occurring, we have now introduced a metal clamp and a new partition wall.

The new partition wall is made up of polyamide with 30 % fibre glass.
The new clamp is a hardened steel clamp. The new material and the design of the clamp reduce the risk of deformation and the subsequent risk of leakage.

Full replaceability prevails.
Introduced from serial number:
357XP 061100201
359 061100001
353 061100001
346XP 061100001

New part no. Description Excl. part. no. Remark
537 25 13-02 Partition wall, intake, complete New spare part
537 43 88-01 Clamp, intake New spare part

Spare part, partition wall, part number 537 25 13-01, has been discontinued and is replaced by part number 537 25 13-02.

I just did a 359----opened muffler, cut cyl base to set squish at .020", mild transfer work, comp @190psi. Not really impressed but then 346's don't wow me either.

I did get to run a 359 that ELECT6845 built and that was a pretty sweet saw. If you can get near a lathe you could probably duplicate what he did without too much trouble.

Well, parts are ordered from northwood saw. The non cat muffler will have to wait until I can get to chainsawrs shop.
New piston+ring, wrist pin bearing, fuel line+filter, carb kit, and an exhaust deflector.
I'll get it going soon enough, then we can talk "tinkering" on it :D

Back