359 rim question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there any easy way to put a 8 pin 3/8 rim onto a 359 with the small spline?

Does anyone make a 8 pin 3/8 small spline?

Is there a large spline drum that can be swaped on?

Thanks, I know most will say stick with the 7 but I think 8 will be fine with square chain and a muffler job.

Questions about 3/8x8 for the small spline has been up before - I once asked about it myself - without any positive answers.:jawdrop:

However, I have read about 359 and 357xps with the larger spline, but I have no idea were those are availiable (maybe Oregon or GB??).
I think it was EHP and/or Jokers :)cry:I miss them both) who said they existed.

Just want to check if there is something out there that can be bought, rather than having to weld/machiene up something custom.

Sprockets

And why haven't you called SherrillTree or Bailey's and asked if they have one?

catalogs

Here's the best part, their catalog isn't big enough to list everything they can get you. So you got a couple of Master catalogs for 2006 often refered to as wish books cause you wish your could buy one of everything in the book. Then you call and ask and find out they have even more stuff they can get you that's not in the book or they can refer you to some outfit that's got what you want. If you don't call you'll never know. Hey, they deal in this stuff every day. I only tell you this cause Bailey's had 8 pin sprockets for my 346's so I ordered a handful of 7's and 8's and half a dozen bars and a dozen loops of chain. I gave my latest catalog to the guy that brought me 5 loops of chain to sharpen Friday he needs 5 new loops cause his chains are on their last sharpening and he said he hasn't changed the sprocket on his saw since he bought it. Way past due, he used his saw to build his new log house. Nice house but the saw took a beating.

The only way to run a 3/8 x 8 rim on that saw is to switch to a large spline rim and drum ( RD 108565 $16.00). When you do this, you'll have to change the oil pump drive gear ( 503 89 21 02 $3.92 ).

Thanks GD, will be putting an order together, need a couple of other things also.

Brian

Grande Dog said:
The only way to run a 3/8 x 8 rim on that saw is to switch to a large spline rim and drum ( RD 108565 $16.00). When you do this, you'll have to change the oil pump drive gear ( 503 89 21 02 $3.92 ).
Does similar aftermarket parts exist for the 262xp?

Yes but, there is a serial number break on the 262. If the serial number is before 3450001 you use a RD 36868 $11.95, if it's after 3450001 you need a RD 100757 $11.95.

Hey TW,
Let us know how you make out with the 8-pin. Maybe a before and after timed cut, I'd appreciate it. Do you have any plans to hop up the 359?

Buck

Grande Dog said:
Yes but, there is a serial number break on the 262. If the serial number is before 3450001 you use a RD 36868 $11.95, if it's after 3450001 you need a RD 100757 $11.95.
Thank you, I will pass the onfo over to my brother, who want to try it on his 262xpg.:greenchainsaw:

Will be ordering up the large spline drum and oil pump gear this week, and I will post some times when I give it a try.

The 359 ran well at playinwoods GTG yesterday, I am sure it will pull an 8 and might even pull 9 on pipe in 10-11 inch softwood, lots of torque.

Thanks

OK, I'm confused

I bought some small spline sprockets as a result of reading this thread. It turns out my 359 has a large spline. What gives? Looking at a couple parts lists I don't see where they switched, but I didn't look at every iteration.

Jake

All the IPLs that I have seen for the 357xp and 359 show the small spline and corresponding rim options, .325x7 and 3/8"x7. The .325x8 will also fit this spline, but it is not listed as an option in the IPLs.

However, from earlier posts here, there seem to be a lot of them out there with the large spline.
My guess is that the distributers in certain areas have spesial ordered them with the large spline cluch drums, to be able to use larger rims like 3/8"x8 and .325x9.

3/8x7 is the only rim size that is made in both small and large spline versions.

All the IPLs that I have seen for the 357xp and 359 show the small spline and corresponding rim options, .325x7 and 3/8"x7. The .325x8 will also fit this spline, but it is not listed as an option in the IPLs.

However, from earlier posts here, there seem to be a lot of them out there with the large spline.
My guess is that the distributers in certain areas have spesial ordered them with the large spline cluch drums, to be able to use larger rims like 3/8"x8 and .325x9.
3/8x7 is the only rim size that is made in both small and large spline versions, as far as I know.

Back