361 - 357

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barney34

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
wondering if anyone has both 357 and ms 361 and how you think they compare

throw in the 359.

its alittle cheaper but runs with and has the same features as the 357

i only have a 359 so i cant compare , im sure otheres will chime in soon.

I have them both. They are similar in performance. What features are important to you? Either one will perform well it comes down to specific features you like in a saw. The 357 is a little slimmer, its more ergonomic and handles better. They are both good for anti-vibe, but the 357 is a little smoother. I also prefer the air box setup and filtration on the 357. The 357 also has a Mahle p&c. Overall if I could only have one it would be the Husqy....but in my area I found a 361 on sale brand new for 200 less than a new 357 so I got it too. I use them both interchangeably depending on my mood and they are both great saws.

Ya Brad, that's what I was trying to say. The 357 is definately Mahle, the 361 maybe, maybe not. Can I find a stamping on my 361 to find out (without tearing it down?) Just curious.

Don't expect a Mahle P&C on a new 361. I haven't run my 357 to compare it to my 361.
Lot's has been said of the Mahle cyl not coming on the new 361. I have a 2159 and it does not have a Mahle ( that might be the big price diff between it and the 2156? but the casting looked good on it but not as good as my 2152. I wonder what a 341 Stihl has on it and maybe Stihl to save a few bucks really went with the same Cyl on the 361 so really all the new 361s are 341s? But your still paying a 361 price. The 341 is still sold here and for about $75.00 less.
I could not really tell much diff from a 2156 and a 2159 except price I would think the two Stihl sisters would be the same?

359 18" / 24" bar combo

for the same or less then 361 with 20"

I also have both...the Husky sits in the garage & the Stihl in the house.
But IMO they are so close in performance. Both are silky smooth, easy on gas, light, fast off the throttle. IMO the Stihl has a better fit & finish. I paid only $475 for the 357, brand new; $600.00 for the 361 + an extra chain.

wondering if anyone has both 357 and ms 361 and how you think they compare

Holy Mackerel!!

If I knew that you were going to break your long silence and post something I wouldn't have gone on vacation. I'd have told the whole family to wait for this momentous occasion.

I wouldn't mind another week of beach-beer-babes either. I'll talk to you tomorrow. :cheers:

Both good saws, I lean towards the husky for ergonomics like somone else pointed out,as far as power I find them pretty equal. In my area they are priced about the same if stihl has a sale on. I like the inboard clutch on the stihl for service better than the outboard clutch on the husky. Either way I don't think you would be upset buying one over the other.:cheers:

Holy Mackerel!!

If I knew that you were going to break your long silence and post something I wouldn't have gone on vacation. I'd have told the whole family to wait for this momentous occasion.

I wouldn't mind another week of beach-beer-babes either. I'll talk to you tomorrow. :cheers:
Now your just being cruel!

I have them both. They are similar in performance. What features are important to you? Either one will perform well it comes down to specific features you like in a saw. The 357 is a little slimmer, its more ergonomic and handles better. They are both good for anti-vibe, but the 357 is a little smoother. I also prefer the air box setup and filtration on the 357. The 357 also has a Mahle p&c. Overall if I could only have one it would be the Husqy....but in my area I found a 361 on sale brand new for 200 less than a new 357 so I got it too. I use them both interchangeably depending on my mood and they are both great saws.

I agree and yes I have both.

359 its atleast worth looking at along side the other two saws if a husky dealer has one in stock.

you might like what you find in the 359

I have a Jred 2156 and the 361. If I was going to have a smaller saw along with one of these, I would keep the 361 as the "bigger" saw. If I was going to have a bigger saw along with one of these I would keep the 2156. But since my 2156 has heated grips, and a buddy of mine is waving cash in front of me for the 361, the 2156 wins.

The 357's don't seem to hold up as well as the 361's in full time use. The 361's usually run many hard hrs. with little problems

Back