361 goes in the mail today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
It's off to Dave Neiger for a woods port. Can't wait to get it back. I've got an 18" or so Locust tree that I've been putting off cutting down so I can try it out. I cut the other 16-18"er down with the 346 and it wasn't much fun. I don't think it was tuned right after the rebuild. I had it out this weekend in some 12-14" dead oak and it did much better.

Ian

Good luck, from what I have read Dave Neigers 361s are about as good as Ed Heards.......

What I don't know anything of, is where Washington Hotsaws fits in the picture....

so who does the best mod work on the 361, and has anyone had the Washington Hotsaws stage 3 done on anything, would this kill the life of the saw, not but 75 more $$$ over their stage 2 and it sounds like even more horsepower

In my opinion yes, but Dean will disagree. A stock saw will get 2000+ hours between major overhaul if looked after. More power is more stress on internal components that are not overly designed like earlier saws. Question you have to answer is whether you rather have a hot saw or not. Most non-pro users won't put more than a hundred hours a year on a saw... If you are worrried, keep your mods at the lower level.

Last edited:
Locust

Locust is something else. Haywire, is your locust alive or dead? I've cut a number of dead honey locust and some black also. It's amazing when you go from cutting dead locust to cutting some green wood. It's like the saw has become supercharged. Thall should try that 441 out in a thick old locust log.

Urbicide said:
Locust is something else. Haywire, is your locust alive or dead? I've cut a number of dead honey locust and some black also. It's amazing when you go from cutting dead locust to cutting some green wood. It's like the saw has become supercharged. Thall should try that 441 out in a thick old locust log.

Hmmmmmmm not a bad idea. I'll see if I can find a piece of old hard locust and give it a try. Finding the wood will be the biggest problem but I'll look around and see if I can find a piece and fire up the saw and catch it on vid. I've cut dead hard locust many times and your right, going from dead to green is like going from barely pulling the wagon to speeding 100mph...

Hey, new to the site and new to the Idea of Mod's etc. I see the name Dave Neiger come up a lot. Anybody have info on how I can contact him?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Urbicide said:
Locust is something else. Haywire, is your locust alive or dead?

It's alive, and Black Locust. The 16"er that the 346xp tangled with was about half dead.

What I told Dave is that I wanted to increase performance as much as is practical without shortening the life of the saw. In other words, nothing radical. He said that what he does for woods ports, in effect, is move the torque band further up the rpm range, so for instance instead of running at 8000 rpm in the cut, it runs at 9500. More power and better chain speed. BTW, those are just numbers he used to explain what he did, not actuals.

The way I look at it is if he gets an X% increase in cutting speed, then theoretically you would have to lose more than that same X% off the total hours of saw life to realize any decrease in total production. Does that make sense? If he can do that without cutting into saw life, then hurrah for me. :clap: I hear he can. This doesn't figure in if it will cause an increase in temporary breakdowns within saw life. That would be a pain.

Ian

Ian,

Ive been thinking about doing this to my 361. Ill be waiting on pins and needles to hear how it turns out.

Whats Dave charging you, and what did he say his turn-around was?

$200 for the regular woods port, return shipping included in the price. My muffler has already been modded by NWCS so he knocked $25 off for me. He said 1 week turnaround.

Ian

Neiger

You will be pleased. Nice guy to work with and delivers results.

power

Casey and Haywood. I am with you guys... can't wait to send him a saw and see what it does! New to this site and certainly enjoying all the info I'm getting on here. But what do we do when all our saws are modded and we are used to the power? God help us all....

Haywood, thanks again for the info earlier.

Rydaddy said:
But what do we do when all our saws are modded and we are used to the power?

Simple.. you have to do what I did with my last air rifle. I ordered it online and just had the merchant deliver it to the gunsmith. Same with the saw... order online and just have it delivered to Dave :ices_rofl:.

Ian

Haywire Haywood said:
Simple.. you have to do what I did with my last air rifle. I ordered it online and just had the merchant deliver it to the gunsmith. Same with the saw... order online and just have it delivered to Dave :ices_rofl:.

Ian

Perfect!

CaseyForrest said:
Ian,

Ive been thinking about doing this to my 361. Ill be waiting on pins and needles to hear how it turns out.

Whats Dave charging you, and what did he say his turn-around was?
Why not ask West Texas - has one by Dave Neiger and one by Ed Heard.
I believe they perform about the same, and very good.

Haywire Haywood said:

Ian
Not too easy with a Stihl, I believe - unless it is a used one.

Back