361 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As your PM box is full, there is good instruction content, but do you modify mufflers as a service to other saw addicts? I am not so handy with low heat and thin material. Probably hassle on your end, but how much hassle can be converted to bucks.

Thanks.

Last edited:
As your PM box is full, there is good instruction content, but do you modify mufflers as a service to other saw addicts? I am not so handy with low heat and thin material. Probably hassle on your end, but how much hassle can be converted to bucks.

Thanks.
I'm not sure if he does it as a service or not...just drop him an email through AS.

If he doesn't I know someone who does!

Thanks.

I have become very proficient at building modified mufflers. I use the highest quality steels, and just today I picked up TR 330 30% Nickel spark arrestor screen. You can heat this stuff to crazy temps and it will never break down.

P1010032.jpg
P1010033.jpg

Scott.

Lake, did you ever find a source for the tubing? All I can find is brass.

Ian

P.S. Scott, no offense intended but... everyone here knows you do muffler mods. I don't see a need to pump your commercial into every thread. You even gave me rep with a commercial in the comment area a few weeks ago. :dizzy: Just saying chill out a little or you will burn folk out on it.

Ian

I have become very proficient at building modified mufflers. I use the highest quality steels, and just today I picked up TR 330 30% Nickel spark arrestor screen. You can heat this stuff to crazy temps and it will never break down.

P1010032.jpg
P1010033.jpg

Scott.

Man... You should also link the Anita Ward song, "Ring my bell." You seem to do it quite well.

I think it was ok in this situation. Cheese ask a question and scott was pretty sure that lake would not mod the muffler, so scott offered his service. What better thread to plug your muffler modding business then in the thread about modding mufflers?

Stihl dealers can not modify any part of any Stihl machine. To do so and be discovered is an instant revocation of your dealer license. I know of at least three Washington state saw shops that have gone through this.

Last edited:
Sorry Pals!

I noticed after that this thread was started by Andy. Meant no Pimping, and did not mean to bug anyone.

I cant do what andy does and andy cant do what I have been doing (selling Stihl muffler mods). Everyone knows anyone can do it them selves.
Hey, aside from paying arborstsite a sponsor fee, I have even given away supplies to members who have a tough time finding certain materials. Heck, some of you guys have even gotten free 361 mods from me.
So, rather than thinking of me as a horrible Capitalist Pimp, think of me as a viable resource and great Arborsite citizen and financial supporter of the site you love so dearly.
I have made advertizing blunders in the past, this one was sincerly an attempt to help a fellow member. Sorry Crusty!

With Great Esteem,
Scott.

Well.. I can do what it like.. Stihl has no control over what I do outside of the store; I only work at the store (lowly employee), not own it... Interestingly, I don't think any customer of the store has a modifed muffler of any type.

Stihl's onto dealers for mods? ha.. Woods and Walkers must have a cloaking device.;)

I generally don't do muffler mods - I have way too much on my plate. However.. I do the odd one now and then... if someone asks nicely ;) If I'm way too busy, I have been known to send the parts for free (no, I have no parts right now!).

As for Scott: Guys.. he's just trying to eat... Do your own, find someone else, or use his service..

Last edited:
Lake, did you ever find a source for the tubing? All I can find is brass.

yep.. Stainess is easy to get in thinwall. I don't bother - just turn them to the correct size on my lathe. I now put a thicker boss on the bottom to make it easier to weld; thining the top just to suit the TS400 spark arrester.

Lakeside53 said:
Stihl has no control over what I do outside of the store;

This being the key!

Gene and Wayne came to our store once in '03, because they'd heard we were modifying saws. Luckily this wasn't the case, but Gene sure did eyeball the shop real hard....

Last edited:
lololol

I still think they play favorites though... like the two names I mentioned... but in truth we (the store) have absolutely no desire to mod any thing.

What's the downside to modifying a 361 muffler...or any chainsaw muffler for that matter???

It can't be just additional noise or the factory wouldn't care that much about it.:confused:

What's the downside to modifying a 361 muffler...or any chainsaw muffler for that matter???

It can't be just additional noise or the factory wouldn't care that much about it.:confused:

Three "words"
- OHSA (noise)
-E.P.A. (emissions)
-Liability (damn lawyers)

But most of all...

-Dealer agreement

It's not just "mufflers"... it's any mods...

Back