361 rebuilt....... wont start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinesfarm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
well i recently replaced a crankshaft in a friend of mines saw for him its a stihl 361 was mint he straight gased it but it only needed a crank had the piston and cyl brought to my local saw guy he said it would be fine to run in a saw again so i split the case put a new crank in put it all back together used a fair amount of oil on the crank when putting it in and i tried to start it i could get it going on full choke for about 30 seconds at most and went back and forth form full to half but never could get it back to normal run setting i took the carb off cleaned it diaphragm was fine put it back on and now i cant get it to fire at all.

what could be the problem

no fuel?

i think the vacumm line might have gotten clogged with the oil could that be the problem?

anyone have any suggestions or been through this problem before?

try resetting the low end on carb..may be running to lean..happend to me this weekend while working on an 032av.. ran great after that...

if that doesnt work, check fuel line, fuel filter

Last edited:
yea i had tried that on the carb the first time nothing changed then i tore it down and cleaned it and it popped off on choke once now i cant get it to fire again

Pull the sparkplug out. If it's wet you've flooded the saw. If it's flooded leave the plug out and let it set.

If the plug isn't wet, try a small amount of mix into the carb and see if it fires.

Had the saw been setting after it was ran without oil?

Regards

Dan

after checking fuel line, in tank and filter... check to make sure is has vacuum, with a gauge or a plastic bag taped to the little hose. did u switch the rings?

yes the saw did sit for a long time after it was straight gassed

ill try the vacuum line trick thanks

Latest posts

Back