361 Shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I found it not bad just to roll the crimp open with these. The mufflers on other models with welded seams though need to be cut and rewelded.

attachment.php

Cool timberwolf i have a pair of nippers a little larger then yours but I think I can make the tool work.

I'll try to get some stuff posted tonight, lost most of last night to a hunting related diversion.

I am always ready for a race. Guess that I will have to watch this thread, seems I might have some interest. Thanks for your hardwork TW. Not doubting the BB but I hope the standard woods port Stihl rocks.

Carlyle
attachment.php

They will all rock, no question, just the standard one will rock longer if pushed really hard. Though there will be a little speed trade off in smaller wood. I plan to push the limits a bit with the BB as it can always be detuned a bit if need be and I will keep a close eye on it for signs of heat or excessive piston/ring wear.

TX brad, the pics were getting a bit much, not sure if it was just th way I posted them first or a server thing.

Anyway, For the crimp if it is folded open it closes back up fairly well. Getting the basket and junk out is a pain even once the muffler is open.

I am not big on brass for muffler work. Brass really is best for tight fit joints and not ideal when mixed with steel and elevated temperatures. My beef with brass is the nightmare it is to try to weld anything after a brass joint fails.

Brian, can you post a port map of your finished porting layout? I ported the heck out of my 361 and I'm still not getting what I think I should be able to out of it. I'm hoping I can learn something from what yours will look like. I widened inake and exhaust as much as skirts allow and swept the intake side transfers way in to the intake. Opened the lower transfer windows and widened the bottom transfers a bit. Squish is at .018. It runs great, but it doesn't explode out of the gate like I think it could. I'm wondering if the carb is holding it back because I have the low needle all the way out from the seat...like three turns. So far out that opening farther doesn't affect it. I went back and worked the transfers a little more and that helped but I'm curious if I need to change the carb now

Brian, can you post a port map of your finished porting layout? I ported the heck out of my 361 and I'm still not getting what I think I should be able to out of it. I'm hoping I can learn something from what yours will look like. I widened inake and exhaust as much as skirts allow and swept the intake side transfers way in to the intake. Opened the lower transfer windows and widened the bottom transfers a bit. Squish is at .018. It runs great, but it doesn't explode out of the gate like I think it could. I'm wondering if the carb is holding it back because I have the low needle all the way out from the seat...like three turns. So far out that opening farther doesn't affect it. I went back and worked the transfers a little more and that helped but I'm curious if I need to change the carb now

I put a Zama C3M on my MS361.

I put a Zama C3M on my MS361.

Is that for a 440/044 Brad? Did you need it to deliver enough fuel or were you just trying it out? Also, any linkage changes needed to swap that carb?

I get plenty of high speed jet but I suspect the lack of enough low is hampering throttle response and how fast it returns to idle

Is that for a 440/044 Brad? Did you need it to deliver enough fuel or were you just trying it out? Also, any linkage changes needed to swap that carb?

I get plenty of high speed jet but I suspect the lack of enough low is hampering throttle response and how fast it returns to idle

I just wanted the larger venturi. You should have good throttle response with the stock carb. I have heard mention of some carb issues on the 361. Maybe you need a new carb.

Back