046 running again!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelhamjeff

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted last December about my 046 and posted some pics of the cylinder where I went through the plating cleaning it up. Well, it's going again and I can't wait to cut some wood. I put a Stihl piston in it which I had to wait 3 months and 2 days for going thru the dealer where I work. Don't get me started about that situation. Also I want to thank Zerojunk for hooking me up with a cylinder in much better shape than the one I was going to try to use. I owe you a big favor zero!! Hope everybody on here is having as good a day as I am!

Big reason I have kept my 046 and 044/046 hybrid, I like it when a big enough tree needs to be felled and blocked up. Last time out a group of us was bucking up long length hardwood stems for a disabled friend, many over the 30" dia size. I was smiling to myself as my friends were running their 55-60 cc saws. They soon stopped and just watched me and my saw drop blocks one after the other, wasn`t fair that the 046 was dropping blocks at double the rate they could, one fellow in particular was extolling how slow Stihl saws are compared to Huskys but had nothing to say after the first 10 mins of cutting.

The first saw I ever cleaned and reused the cylinder was an 046. I had bought an overbore kit, but they apparently had a run of brittle rings so I sent it back and got a refund. I sold it to a friend because I had saws running out my ears. Stihl dealer just stacked all of their unclaimed repair for whatever reason on the back of a truck and dumped it at my shop for me to sort out.
I have a MS660, but it would be pretty unusual to need anything larger than an 046 or MS460. The bottleneck is hardly ever how long it takes to make a cut.

Have fun with it . If it pukes you never heard of me LOL.

I keep sorting through the boxes at work and refurbish 044s and 046s. Keep thinking they are too old,but they keep selling. Just need good bottom ends to start with.
Old yes, but they were simple and reliable, I keep, all my 0 series saws around me, they have been my workhorses since the early 90`s so reliable on big clearing jobs where down time is avoided/abhorred. Only thing that really counted was the number of truckloads of wood that left the landing day after day. The 044`s did the bulk of the cutting with the 046,460, 064,066`s being brought out if trees of a big enough size was in the drop zone. The 046 has a 28" bar and the 64 and 66`s were 32 and 36" usually reserved for the biggest Oak and Rock Maple we encountered.

The first saw I ever cleaned and reused the cylinder was an 046. I had bought an overbore kit, but they apparently had a run of brittle rings so I sent it back and got a refund. I sold it to a friend because I had saws running out my ears. Stihl dealer just stacked all of their unclaimed repair for whatever reason on the back of a truck and dumped it at my shop for me to sort out.
I have a MS660, but it would be pretty unusual to need anything larger than an 046 or MS460. The bottleneck is hardly ever how long it takes to make a cut.

Have fun with it . If it pukes you never heard of me LOL.
Fair enough. Thank again buddy!!

Latest posts

Back