361 Vs 026 power wise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How much power difference in the 361-18" vs 026-16"? I'm thinking of buying a 361 to make my "all around saw". I'm used to the power of my 026, so will I be happy with the difference in power with the 361? Is it worth the $600 power to weight wise. Will I really notice a that much of a difference in power and not that much in weight??? There's nothing wrong with my 026. I'm just cutting more wood lately and the 026 is getting a little old... Don't want to waste the money though. I really don't "need" a new saw...

How about Husky? Should I look at one? What's a comparable model to the 361? I've always been a Stihl man, but haven't bought a saw in a long time. Husky seems to be very popular these days. I don't want to miss out on a great saw just because it isn't a Stihl. This will be my last saw for a long time. I want to buy the right one!

Thanks

Not to dissuade you from buying a new saw, but that 038 mag you have is a fine saw. I have one, and only one, saw, and it is the 038 mag. It is heavy, but has more power than the 361.

Well that's the pob. the 038 is way to heavy. Power is great, but it wears me out... I really should sell it, but right now that would only leave me with 026 and 028's....

Put all the saws,026,028,038,and the Homelite on Ebay, collect all the money, go and buy yourself a NEW MS260 and MS361 with all the money you just made from your USED saws!!!!:cheers:

I guess my real concern is in the power difference between the 2 saws. Don't want to buy a 361 and/or sell all my other saws and be disappointed in the power or weight difference between the 026 and 361. The 038 mag is just too heavy and sucks some fuel... Does anyone have or have used both these saws side by side to give me an opinion???

I'm doing a lot of clearing on my land. Toping and stumping hardwoods. Then later cutting up for fire wood. Most stuff is around 18", but red and white oak. Could be cutting 24" trunks though...

Last edited:
Yeah, the 361 is no Harry Homeowner saw. If it was I wouldn't be interested in it.:cheers:

Don’t be too sure until you run that saw in its stock form. There is a “sticky” above on the 361. You might want to ask yourself why it is up there.

That's not a bad idea....

Then I'd have to get a 361. But would it feel too heavy compared to my 026???

You wouldn't have to use your NEW MS361 all the time, just use it when needed for the bigger stuff. Use the NEW MS260 for everything else!!!
:cheers:

L:dizzy::dizzy:K AT ME.....PUSHING STIHLS!!!!!:dizzy::dizzy:

This is the second time I've seen the 361 called a "homeowner saw". :dizzy:

That's because a pro saw is the best "homeowner" saw as well - and the 361 is it, as an allround one - pretty cheap, and still the best saw in the 60cc class - high quality, good power, light, and inboard clutch :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:
the power difference between the 260 an 361

I have both and the difference is huge.

That does not mean the 260 is not potent. It is a great saw and great allrounder but it is not comparable to the 361.

Depending on what you are cutting and how much both can be the best answer to your needs.

Some say that they are too close to be a 2 saw plan and they are partly right. A better combi would be a 260-440 but

Both dont wear me out. All up to 6 inch is dedicated 260 and all bigger than that i use the 361. Both saws can cut all but i made a habit of cutting the big ones first with the 361 and then in the afternoon do the cleanup with the 260. The point of it being that in the afternoon when the 361 might start to show its weight and slow me down i am still sabre-fit for the 260.

If i had to go for 1 saw i would take the 361. I upgraded from a 240 and with the 260 even being a level more powerfull you are still definately out of the so usefull 25'' bar teritory. I am convinced that the weight difference does not compensate the cutting speed the 361 offers against the 260. Meaning i rather cut faster with the 361 and being tired at the end of the day than struggle with lack of power during half of the day.

For a 3 saw plan i see the 260-361-460or up as possibility.

Another thought: It is not because the 260 and 361 overlap that it is a bad combo. I dont always want to have 2 saws on every job. With these you can finish anything quickly. Just choose the optimal one for the wood to cut and you come home smiling.

Very hard questions both are very good saws

in my opinion

:cheers:

I have both a 361 and a 357. Both are great saws though I prefer the 357. If only it would not drip oil while stored...

Have to add that the Euro (German made) 361s are a bit stronger than the US ones - at least stock.

Muffler and cylinder is different, everything else is the same.

I have an 024 which as I understand it is the predicesor to the 026. I just got an 036, and I had an 038 Mag that I had to send back, and I've been borrowing a friends 026. The 036 is definatly a lot more powerful. With an .325 RSC chain on an 18" bar, I have a heck of a time trying to get it to bog down. The 024 is pretty easy to bog down with the same bar and chain, but if you let it cut on its own, it does fine. The 026 runs good, and you can push it a little, but you still have to let it go at its own pace. The chain on my 036 currently has the drag links cut down a little to far. Its rough to cut with that chain, but the saw loves it. I can burry the bar in white oak and lean on it a good deal, and the just keeps eating. After handeling the 038 Mag, I found it too heavy to use all the time, at least for my taste. Eventually I'd like one to handle a little longer bar when I need one, but that's about it.

I disagree with selling any of your current saws. I'd at least keep the 026, and the 038 Mag, and then maybe see if you can find a mint 036 or 036 pro. Then the same chains and bars will fit them all.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

I guess my real concern is in the power difference between the 2 saws. Don't want to buy a 361 and/or sell all my other saws and be disappointed in the power or weight difference between the 026 and 361. The 038 mag is just too heavy and sucks some fuel... Does anyone have or have used both these saws side by side to give me an opinion???

I'm doing a lot of clearing on my land. Toping and stumping hardwoods. Then later cutting up for fire wood. Most stuff is around 18", but red and white oak. Could be cutting 24" trunks though...

I'm going to suggest a different approach.

If I was stumping 24" hardwoods I'd want more then the 361.

Your 026 is fine for all the small-med stuff but you should really be in the 70cc + territory for large hardwoods. The 026 and 361 are just too close together for a 2 saw plan given your type of cutting.

I'd suggest 372XP, 440, 7900, 460, 6401 or 441 as your second saw that you break out for the big stuff. (probably in about that order)

If the 038 Mag is too heavy then sell it. (they bring top dollar)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back