361 Vs 026 power wise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to suggest a different approach.

If I was stumping 24" hardwoods I'd want more then the 361.

Your 026 is fine for all the small-med stuff but you should really be in the 70 cc territory for large hardwoods. The 026 and 361 are just too close together for a 2 saw plan given your type of cutting.

I'd suggest 372XP, 440, 7900, 460, 6401 or 441 as your second saw that you break out for the big stuff. (probably in about that order)

If the 038 Mag is too heavy then sell it. (they bring top dollar)

:agree2:I would also suggest a bigger second saw for the big stuff, I was just trying to stick with what he was already talking about. I run a Shindaiwa 488 for almost everything(comparable to the MS260) and a 757 for the big stuff(comparable to MS440/MS460). :cheers:

I own a 026 and 361 and they are not close in power or weight IMO. 361 will cut twice as fast and really shines on 8''-18'' wood. 026 is a good amount lighter and is really a good saw. I like them both. I think you have most covered with the 026 and 038 IMO... But If I was to only have one saw it would be the 361...

Last edited:
I have had them both. There is not enough of difference to own both in imo, the 260 is like a mini 361. I sold my 361 but it was a screamer. Give yourself more space like mentioned already. Go with a ms180+361 or a 260+440/441/460.

I own a 026 and 361 and they are not close in power or weight IMO. ... But If I was to only have one saw it would be the 361...

Yup! :agree2:

I have had them both. There is not enough of difference to own both in imo, the 260 is like a mini 361. I sold my 361 but it was a screamer. Give yourself more space like mentioned already. Go with a ms180+361 or a 260+440/441/460.

Wrong answer again, my friend.....:cheers:

Last edited:

+1 on the 260/440. :cheers:

If I had to get rid of all my saws but one and still be able to cut a little bit of everything, I would keep my 361. 3 saw plan: ms200 + ms361 + ms660

Maybe sell all the saws but the 026(lots of parts still available for them)and get a woods ported Stihl 361 or Husky 359.I have heard a good woods ported Husky 359 will out cut a stock Husky 372.Just a thought as far as weight and power go.

Maybe sell all the saws but the 026(lots of parts still available for them)and get a woods ported Stihl 361 or Husky 359.I have heard a good woods ported Husky 359 will out cut a stock Husky 372.Just a thought as far as weight and power go.

Why would he want a heavily leaned on 359? Outcut a 372 for how long til it seizes or needs a rebuild?Why mess with voiding the warranty on a new saw,just get a 372xp and be done with it.Run it stock or muffler modded,and enjoy the reliability of it.My dad has an old 041AV,and my husky 460 outcuts it,not by much ,but it does,and its quite a bit lighter too. Id say you d be happy with the 357xp,or 372.I havent used any new Stihls,but id buy one of those too,in second if the price was right.

I have both. One thing I have noticed is that the 361's antivibe is much better. After running the 026 for a couple of hours, the vibration fatigues you, but the thing is so small and light it's not a big deal. The 361 is a couple pounds heavier and physically larger, but is but cuts smooth as silk, so the fatigue comes from slinging a couple extra pounds of weight. I've used both on all day trail cutting stints and didn't feel one wore me out worse than the other.

Powerwise, the 361 has more. Not a huge difference, but I did a few mods to the 026. My 361 is 100% stock. Stock to stock there is quite a large jump in power. You don't notice it much in small rounds like 6-8", but you sure do in a 14"-18" piece. These are the two saws I take with me every time I cut wood. The vast majority of the wood is mixed hardwood with average rounds ranging from 8"-16." These saws suit my needs perfectly. If I was frequently cutting larger rounds, I would probably lean more toward the 026 & 440/460 combo.

Well well well... another 361 thread. Cracking knuckles

As for the 361 homeowner comments, that is BS from Husky fans that cannot stop barking.

As for the 260 being a good saw, it is, but I think that the 361 is a better choice. As for spreading the power band with larger gaps, that is not true. I have a couple of 025/250s (about the same power as the 026 that my brother ran over), 361s and 044/440. There is PLEANTY of power gap between these saws not to overlap for specific functions. I use the 361 far far more than the other 2 model saws. I keep one with an 18 inch bar and 8 pin sprocket, and the other with a 25 inch bar and 7 pin sprocket.

As for wear and tear on your body, the 361 is by far the smoothest saw of the bunch. The 260 has far more vibration than the 361, and a lot less power. If you want a saw that will not wear you out, as well as do all around sawing, the 361 is the one you want. Price is the real key, for less than $100 more than the 260 PRO you get the 361. The 361 will run a 25 and even a 28 inch bar (with an updated oiler piston and bolt from a 460R). It is a newer design, has good anti-vibration, good filtration, and they run and run and run.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Well guys, that gives me a lot to think about. I really appreciate all the replies. A this point I'm really leaning toward getting the 361 with a 3/8 18 and keeping all my other saws for the time being.

Any other suggestions or comments, I like to hear them.
I'm going to go by the dealer on Monday and check on a price.
Thanks again for all the replies.:cheers:

I agree with the above. Get a 361 and go from there (a 026 or a 260 as a trail/trimming saw is a good companion to a 361). The 361 handles like a light saw.

The 280 is the in-between saw and a great saw in its own right, if you must have only one saw. It needs a muffler mod to work correctly, easy with a Dremel, a carbide burr and a few minutes of time. (The 361 muffler mod is more complex but the saw runs well in stock form).

The 260 is not an all day long saw due it its lack of up to date antivibe. Both the 280 and 361 are smooth as silk with state of the art antivibe.

Forget balance of a bar. That is a non issue in the wood. I prefer the 20 and 25 inch bars on the 361 myself. The 25 inch is my favorite on that saw. The 18 inch is a tad short, and the 16 inch is rediculously short (I have all 3/8" bars and chains from 16 through 28 inches). If you get the 18" bar I would recommend an 8 pin rim because the torque is otherwise wasted. May as well get better chain speed. Unless that is, you are cutting Madrone or Ironwood all day, in which case you can run the 7 pin rim.

Personally I would recommend a 20 inch for all around cutting, and leave the 7 pin stock rim on it. That is if you are only going to have one bar. I would also get an ES bar, they are solid bars and will take bending and pinching. They will also last longer.

Last edited:
260 & 361

As several here have stated I also believe that a 372/440 would be a better fit in the 2 saw plan. That being said the 361 is a beast of a saw for the weight especially when slightly modified. I have an 18" 3/8" on mine now and love it. I have larger saws for larger setups but with muffler mod the 361will run the 25". If you are dead set on keeping the extra pound or so off the second saw vs a 372 or 440 then the 361 will not disappoint. If I had to keep only two saws though, they would be without question the 372 and 260.

By the way as far as balance goes my 18" GB titanium feels heavier than the 20" stihl that came on my 361 and the balance is almost identical cause it still wants to tip forward a little in the hand but I agree with Wind in that it makes little difference in the cut just the carry.

Last edited:
The only problem with a bigger saw than the 361 will be the weight. It sounds like he doesn't like the 038 Mag for that very reason, and that's a 72cc saw. Since you already have a 72cc saw, run your longer B/C on that when you need it, get the 361 and put a 16" or 18" B/C on it. Heck, put what ever your 026 has on it and keep your chains comon to reduce your overhead costs a little. I really like the 18" bar on my 036, but if/when I ever get a bigger saw (CAD), I'll probably back it down to an 16" bar. I like to start cutting with the saw on top of the tree, and cutting on the back side, and then pull the saw over to me, so a 16" B/C will cut almost any firewood I run across all day long. When it's all said and done, you'll probably have no need for either your 026 or your 028.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

Latest posts

Back