361 vs 460 Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of you asked that I compare my 361 and 460 in some bigger wood. I didn't get to cut the 24" wood we were hoping for, but I did get them in some 16" Elm. Last week I compared them in 10 1/2" Elm and the 460 was only about 1/2 faster than the 361 with times in the 4-5 second range. Today in the 16" Elm, times were in the 11 second range. Again, the 460 was only about 13% faster, with an advantage of about 1 1/2 seconds in the cut. I still swear that the 460 is a lot stronger saw despite what I've shown so far. I need to get in some bigger yet wood. However, what I'm cutting here is ideal 361 use. As you can see, I don't need any more saw in this size wood. For the size wood you'll use a 361 to cut, a 460 isn't much faster. I guess the question remaining is, how big does the wood have to get before the 361 looses umph. For now, all we know is that it's bigger than 16" Elm. I need some more of the 40" Ash I cut up a few weeks ago. There you would see the difference.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQaVIys23WE"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQaVIys23WE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

They both look very strong. I wonder how the 361 will do in 20" dia. The 460 wasn't even working. The 460 should be tested at 40" dia. I hope you make more videos they are very nice. Like the new chaps?

Last edited:
Some of you asked that I compare my 361 and 460 in some bigger wood. I didn't get to cut the 24" wood we were hoping for, but I did get them in some 16" Elm. Last week I compared them in 10 1/2" Elm and the 460 was only about 1/2 faster than the 361 with times in the 4-5 second range. Today in the 16" Elm, times were in the 11 second range. Again, the 460 was only about 13% faster, with an advantage of about 1 1/2 seconds in the cut. I still swear that the 460 is a lot stronger saw despite what I've shown so far. I need to get in some bigger yet wood. However, what I'm cutting here is ideal 361 use. As you can see, I don't need any more saw in this size wood. For the size wood you'll use a 361 to cut, a 460 isn't much faster. I guess the question remaining is, how big does the wood have to get before the 361 looses umph. For now, all we know is that it's bigger than 16" Elm. I need some more of the 40" Ash I cut up a few weeks ago. There you would see the difference.

Thanks for that. I keep telling myself (or you guys keep telling myself) I need another big saw. 20" dead standing pine is the limit of my cutting. I do not need a bigger saw, although I have visions of sugar plums, candy, 460's and 038 Supers dancing in my head.

watch the video then hit reply it will take you to youtube and watch blsnellings ported vid the 361 with the race chain is awsome!!!!!

watch the video then hit reply it will take you to youtube and watch blsnellings ported vid the 361 with the race chain is awsome!!!!!

That's not soft Poplar either. It's Elm. I'm lovin' this saw more all the time.

If things get a little boring cutting wood, there's always other "guy things" to do in the country. That's why I love going to see my bro-in-law. He lives on a one lane road near no where. BTW, I normally wear a helmet, gogles, gloves, boots when I ride, but we were using it to ferry tools:clap:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysR9SPk4kvM"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysR9SPk4kvM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Last edited:
He bought it new in '89 and proceeded to break his back on it the same week. He wasn't a new rider either. It was his second one. He's been riding this one ever since, bone stock. I had the jugs bored and and I put new pistons in it about 10 years ago. Last fall the tranny broke so I split the cases, replaced a couple gears and circlips. This time it got a new crankshaft and another .010 bore and new pistons again. Should be good for another 10 years!:cheers:

I sold my '89 about 3 1/2 years ago. It was built to the hilt. It was a full out national mid-range by Duncan Racing. It made a stock Banshee boring. I rode it almost exclusively at Silver Lake, MI in the sand dunes. It was a blast.

Last edited:
watching that Banshee video....

All I could think of was that line about rednecks.. What do they say right before they die?"Hey ya'all watch this..
Better put a brainbucket on..

Very nice but what is that running behind the log at 1:06 seconds of the the video. Looks like some sort of critter? :confused:

Maybe a miniature sasquach :) Per this thread http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=58010

attachment.php

Brad, did you ever put a degree wheel on the 460 or 361? Just wondered since you put the wheel on the 260.

Wonder what would happen to the difference if both saws had the same
size bar? :greenchainsaw:

I gotta get a 20" bar for my 660...jeez but that saw is obnoxious...:cheers:

Not going to make much difference as long as they're cutting the same size wood. They were running the same bar and chain in my previous video. They has the same percentage difference in times as here. I still would like to put them in some 24"-28" hardwood and see how quickly the difference shows up.

Back