361 vs. whatigot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
ok guys, i know the stock answer to the question is that i should buy a 361. here is my particular situation.

i currently have a 310 18bc bone stock. i am farm-raised and have pretty good feel for equipment. i have always over-bought so buyer's remorse is something i rarely experience. when i bought the 310 in '02 i got a saw that was more than enough for my needs at the time. however, i bought a house last year and fed the insert with oak from the property. i am a desk jockey by day and i really enjoy getting the in the woods and running a saw. i burn wood bc i can. it helps with managing the property, gives me some time with my brother, teaches my son about the outdoors, gets me out of housework, and makes my wife appreciate me when i am home!!!
most of what i cut is oak that is 12-18in. some is a little larger, but not much and most is smaller. between my brother (rancher 55 and 025) and myself, we cut about 3 cords last year. probably will increase that by a cord or two this year. not a lot by the standard of most around here. the 310 does an adequate job, but i WANT MORE!!!!

here is the question: the way i see it i have two options;
1) muffler mod the 310
2) buy a 361 and e-bay the 310

my hesitation for modding the 310 is the increase in noise. i know, chainsaws are loud- get over it..... i do wear earplugs and earmuffs together. i'm not sure how much the mod would increase the noise.
how much power gain will i get with a mod? will i get to the output of a 361?

forget about that the 361 is easier to work on, that it has better vibration control (never thought chainsaws weren't supposed to vibrate... i was raised on a Mac Super 66 bow bar), that it might last a little longer (either will outlive me) or that it will have higher resale (would sell it if i bought one), or that it is lighter (6'4" 230lbs, not much fat).
will i be bowled-over by the additional power? would i get the same power with a mod on the 310? how much louder is a modded saw??

i won't take to much coercion to convince me that i need the 361. i just need someone to step-up and offer me an unbiased (that's a laugh) opinion.
my local dealer quoted $575 for a 361 with a 18" hardnose.

Go for the ebay idea, sell your 310 and get the 361. Also ask your dealer to give you a sprocket nose bar instead of the hardnose, unless you cut dirty stuff. Stihl saws on ebay usually bring a premium price.:clap:

You also have the option of installing a 390 p&c on your 310, but may be more work and $$$ than practical. Finding a good used p&c and installing it yourself would be the best way. I would rather have a 361 though, LOL.

Last edited:
IMO, if you're gonna spend $600 for a new saw it should be a bigger step up from what you have.

A 361 is NOT a huge leap in power from your 310. I'd just save a bit more and buy a 70cc saw or just muffler mod your 310.

IMO, if you're gonna spend $600 for a new saw it should be a bigger step up from what you have.

A 361 is NOT a huge leap in power from your 310. I'd just save a bit more and buy a 70cc saw or just muffler mod your 310.

Now we are talkin' 440/441/460, take your pick.:chainsaw: :clap:

you would definately like the 361 better. Might even look at the 441

Just my opinion (and you did ask) I think the 361 will be a modest jump from what you have now. It will be faster and smoother and you will notice the difference but probably not a real WOW moment if you know what I mean. Now if you muff mod the 361 it's an even better step up and will sure put a smile on your face.

If your really looking for more grins a 70cc saw is in order. I would have recommended the MS440 (I'm a Stihl guy at heart) but sadly Stihl took that option away (if you can find one get it, but you probably won't). So I'll say for about the same money get a Husqvarna 372 with a 20" bar...... that will be a real WOW moment for ya. It will be a long time before this ---> :D <--- wears off.

Oh and no hard nose bars unless your burying cable with it. :laugh:

+1......You're considering spending $600.00 for .4hp increase.:confused:

If you want "MORE" go checkout a Dolmar 7900 :chainsawguy:

That is if you have a respectable dealer close!.....Probably can get one for $150 more than the 361......

Amicks Superstore has them for $679
http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dolmar_PS7900_20_p/dolmar ps7900 20 chainsaw.htm

I would go along with the 70cc+ thought. How about a used 044/440 046/460, 038 Mag, or equivalent Husky/Jonsered?

My late production 066 Mag was purchased rebuilt with new P&C, new 25" B&C for a bit more than a new MS390.

You could have your 310 and a good used, larger saw without spending the $$ for a 361. I prefer to have a spare saw or two along when cutting, just in case...

Like others have said the 361 will be a nice upgrade in quality, but not much in power. If you want a good jump in power get a 70cc saw like the the Husky 372, Stihl ms441, ms460, or my choice the Dolmar 7900.

attachment.php

what is wrong with a hardnose? i have replaced exactly one bar on the 310, so i don't think that rebuilding the bar is that much of an advantage. i know that a roller tip has less drag, but is it that much??
to those of you that suggest a 70cc saw........well, that's well beyond what i perceive my needs to be. the 310 fills the needs about 95% of the time. i was just thinking that if a 361 would have the "wow" factor, then i might go for it......i really don't see my usage going up beyond what it is now, and the trees are getting any larger........we have a few 40-60"ers here, but the only way i would cut one would be if it were windblown.
as for Dolamr......nothing against them, an i would consider them, but the closest dealer is 90 miles.
what about the muffler mod.......how much hp gain am i likely to see????? .5hp???? more?????????
how much increase in noise???????????

what is wrong with a hardnose? i have replaced exactly one bar on the 310, so i don't think that rebuilding the bar is that much of an advantage. i know that a roller tip has less drag, but is it that much??
to those of you that suggest a 70cc saw........well, that's well beyond what i perceive my needs to be. the 310 fills the needs about 95% of the time. i was just thinking that if a 361 would have the "wow" factor, then i might go for it......i really don't see my usage going up beyond what it is now, and the trees are getting any larger........we have a few 40-60"ers here, but the only way i would cut one would be if it were windblown.
as for Dolamr......nothing against them, an i would consider them, but the closest dealer is 90 miles.
what about the muffler mod.......how much hp gain am i likely to see????? .5hp???? more?????????
how much increase in noise???????????

You could probably pick up most if not all the difference between the 310 and 361 with a muffler mod. The mufflers on those things just have a couple little slits that they breathe through. Quite a bit left on the table there.

to those of you that suggest a 70cc saw........well, that's well beyond what i perceive my needs to be. the 310 fills the needs about 95% of the time. i was just thinking that if a 361 would have the "wow" factor, then i might go for it......

Need :confused: ..........who said anything about "need" I thought this was just about want??????

The 310 seems to be all you really "need".

Trust me you "want" a 70cc saw.

:laugh: :laugh: :cheers: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
A muffler mod is a considerable increase in noise if you are noise sensitive. Think about putting a glass pack on your car, it's a similar concept. You get about a 10% bump in power by modding the muffler. A stock 361 will not give you the wow factor you are looking for. Too close in performance to what you already have. Go for the 70+cc, it comes stock with "wow factor" built in and no muffler mod/noise increase required. Examples are (as already mentioned) Jonsered 2171, Stihl MS-460, Husky 372xp, and for the same or less money, but with more stock "wow" is the Dolmar 7900. There is the Stihl 441 and the Husky 375xp but most folk think they left some of the Wow out at the factory as a cost cutting measure. From the reports I've read, I would not buy one.

My 2 pesos,
Ian

You could probably pick up most if not all the difference between the 310 and 361 with a muffler mod. The mufflers on those things just have a couple little slits that they breathe through. Quite a bit left on the table there.

+1

The muff mod will get you close still not turning the RPM's that the 361 will give you but it will help. It will be louder but if your running muffs and plugs already you probably wont notice it.

Also what chain are you running?? If your still running that RM2 crap you can gain a whole world of difference just by switching to a better chain.

:cheers:

yeah, you're right in that the 310 satisfies my needs most of the time. i know that a 361 would satisfy them ALL of the time.......i perceive a 70 cc to be well beyond my needs. the 361 is already stretching it...... what i am trying to decide is if the cost of the 361 justifies the franklins.

Back