361 vs. whatigot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, you're right in that the 310 satisfies my needs most of the time. i know that a 361 would satisfy them ALL of the time.......i perceive a 70 cc to be well beyond my needs. the 361 is already stretching it...... what i am trying to decide is if the cost of the 361 justifies the franklins.

Yes

What i am trying to decide is if the cost of the 361 justifies the franklins.

IMO, no.. it's not. For 4 or 5 cords a year, you will get many years out of your 310 if you take care of it. If you want more power on the cheap, look into your chain as Erick suggested and do a Lakeside muffler mod on it. Your hard nose bar sucks up some power too.

Ian

yeah, you're right in that the 310 satisfies my needs most of the time. i know that a 361 would satisfy them ALL of the time.......i perceive a 70 cc to be well beyond my needs. the 361 is already stretching it...... what i am trying to decide is if the cost of the 361 justifies the franklins.

I'd never talk a man out of a pro level saw...... go for it! :clap:

:cheers:

i'm not sure what type of chain i have. i keep it sharp and a spare loop on hand. it was something that the dealer put together for me last summer. he did not have the particular length of Stihl chain that i needed on that saturday morning (small town, small shop in s ga....not a huge demand for chainsaw chain with the air temp 100 deg). this was just bf i discovered this site and began my formal chainsaw education.
most of what we cut is clean, but we do skid the wood to a deck for bucking. we use a large tractor with a extra heavy boom pole so that most of the tree is off of the ground while it is being dragged. i would not be scared of a chain that is pretty aggressive. recommendations for chain for either saw....

recommendations for chain for either saw....

Stihl RSC, or Bailey's Woodland Pro RC. I'm not familiar with Oregon products. In any case, you want a round chisel chain (as opposed to semi-chisel).

Ian

Last edited:
I like square chisel chain myself on clean wood. Got some round chisel too on hand. Sounds like you kind of want to "pull the trigger" on something. Couple ways to go already discussed. All sound good.
1) Lose your 310 and get a 361-should be all the saw you'll ever need unless you want to mill.
2) Muffler mod current saw and wear muffs(should anyway), lose the hardnose bar for a sprocket
3) Keep the current saw and go 70CC or so

All three options are good. If it were me, I'd keep and tweek what you have and pull the trigger on a 70cc class saw. You'll get a wow then over what you have now :cheers:

I like square chisel chain myself on clean wood. Got some round chisel too on hand. Sounds like you kind of want to "pull the trigger" on something. Couple ways to go already discussed. All sound good.
1) Lose your 310 and get a 361-should be all the saw you'll ever need unless you want to mill.
I'd stop at # 1 .
The constant use of a 361 at high RPM with a 16" bar and a good chain when you have lots of wood lined up and ready to go is addictive and you will find that the saw will do it all day without missing a beat . I've got bigger saws and use them when needed but I do 90% of my work with the 361 and rate my other stuff against it as the benchmark .It's not perfect but they are a :censored: good saw and should last a lifetime .
I'll leave you to make your own choice , but if it fits the budget it will be money spent on a darn good tool .
If you can , keep the 310 as a backup saw or for a CAD fix :)

You & I were in a similar situation. I'm a desk job person, who cuts his own firewood, as well as firewood for my father & father in law. I started out my first year cutting wood with a new MS310 with 18" b&c. I thought the saw was fine, and it was everything I needed, but then I started researching saws more & found this web site (should have done that first). Anyhow, the story about the "homeowner" type saw was the same every time the conversation came up on this web site. There OK if you only use it a little , etc., etc. Well, I'm the kind of guy who wants the best saw available. Just because I only cut firewood & I'm not a logger, doesn't mean I shouldn't have a more powerful, tougher, better cutting saw? So, I ended up selling the MS310 to a friend, and bought a MS460 .................. and I got the "WOW" you're looking for !!! Then, I ended up recently buying a MS361 also (early Father's day present). The MS361 is a big improvement over the MS310, but I can't say it will WOW you, but at the same time, you wouldn't be dissapionted, it's a very nice saw. If I had to pick one, I would pick the MS460 though, I'm just lucky enough to have both. Bottom line is , the 361 would be an nice improvement over the 310, a 460 would would give you the "WOW" factor, but if the 460 is not within your budget, defenitely get the 361, you will like it a lot better.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Come on Clod Iron - he wants us to tell him to get a new saw, don't dissapoint him :greenchainsaw:

Yea, but he wants us to tell him that the 361 will wow him. Let's not disappoint him and tell him it will.

Run what ya brung... ;) Buy a 372XP !!

Ian

Last edited:
Get the 361

I would normally say "If you're getting the job done, then why spend more?" but you what something more. The 361 is lighter, slimmer, better anti-vibe and has a decomp. The power increase may not "wow you" but the build quality will. You didn't mention anything about the weight of the saw, but a 70cc seemed a lot heavier feeling to me. Plus, you can always get the 361 modded and then it will wow you for sure!!! And use RSC or LGX chain-you'll feel like a new man.

i have a new 361 and my buddy has both a 290 and 390 and we cut together quite often. We both like running the 361 more than the other two due to the weight to power . it feels a bit more "peppy" but is it a "monster saw" in comparison?...... nope.... but he would have bought one instead of the 390 if it wasn't for the price difference and his general luck with saws and destroying them.

I would normally say "If you're getting the job done, then why spend more?" but you what something more. The 361 is lighter, slimmer, better anti-vibe and has a decomp. The power increase may not "wow you" but the build quality will. You didn't mention anything about the weight of the saw, but a 70cc seemed a lot heavier feeling to me. Plus, you can always get the 361 modded and then it will wow you for sure!!! And use RSC or LGX chain-you'll feel like a new man.

Good post. I do have a 70cc saw and an 80 and those do both wow me, the 361 gets along pretty good. Now if it doesn't wow you, so be it, but it is light, nimble and will cut great through the wood you are talking about.
I've cut about 14 cords since the beginning of April and although alot of the butts are cut with the Solo or Husky (fair sized in the 22-24 range for most) I'll run the 361 as soon as it is capable, not that it can't cut those, but I tend to baby saws as well. It is a good saw
Chad

3 cords per year maybe 5. I would keep an eye out on craiglist ebay and tell your dealer to look for a nice used Stihl 036 or 038. They are older models but make great firewood saws. You could sell the 310 get your power upgrade have a good saw and not have to spend 600.00. I think you could find a very nice used saw for about 200-300 dollars. The Husqvarna 266 268 and 272 would also be fine choices.

You mentioned the possibility of needing to cut some 40-60 inchers if they were windblown. Buy the 70cc saw. You will never regret it.

Jon

Back