361 vs. whatigot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 310 and a 361. The average firewood cutter would probably never justify the extra money, there's time's I really can't. If your burning three cords or 10 a year run your 310 till it craps out buy a wood splitter and come back in 5 years and talk about how much wood your 310 has cut. I put the two side by side and at the end of the day can't tell the difference. You have a fine saw.

Well said. If on a budget, keeping the 310 until it crapped out would be the way to go.

Well said. If on a budget, keeping the 310 until it crapped out would be the way to go.

Thats the same conclusion I came to on Page 2.

When I went in to buy a saw, I seriously looked at the 310, there isn't enough difference in the 2 to justify having both around, or even trading in 1 for the other. You would still be losing about 250 to 300 bucks in doing so.

saw ?

if i was you i would do two things muf mod and bar and chain change. step one replace chain with a non safety semi skip semi chisel and lowed the riders a few thous. then open the muff a a little. these would wake up that saw a lot:clap:

I am going to attempt to include a Muffler Mod for an 029 that was sent to me. It has both text and photos.....I am not sure how well it will work as an attachment.

Excellent! That's my write-up with someone else's clear pictures for clarity! (Thanks whoever took those) Thanks for posting it up!

That's exactly what I am talking about for an 029 -> 290-310-390 muffler mod.

woody,
i think i will give your method a try this weekend. from what i gather in you above post, the pics aren't your muffler?? do you still think that drilling holes is the way to go?? i have seen the figure of 80% of the size of the exhaust port for size muffler opening; it doesn't look to me as though the openings in that pic are more than about 40-50%????? would two .5" holes be sufficient? that would yield about .4 sq in...... does anyone know the size of the exhaust port?
it looks like some work was also done to the outlet cover?????
i'm getting excited about doing a little work this weekend....

Last edited:
woody,
i think i will give your method a try this weekend. from what i gather in you above post, the pics aren't your muffler?? do you still think that drilling holes is the way to go?? i have seen the figure of 80% of the size of the exhaust port for size muffler opening; it doesn't look to me as though the openings in that pic are more than about 40-50%????? would two .5" holes be sufficient? that would yield about .4 sq in...... does anyone know the size of the exhaust port?
it looks like some work was also done to the outlet cover?????
i'm getting excited about doing a little work this weekend....

a pair of 1/2" holes would likely be just right.

The exhaust port (If I remember correctly) is a little smaller than the rectangle on the front of the muffler...not by much though

If you remove that rectangle ('recessed area') the gasses have a straight shot out of the port to the front (outlet) of the muffler, but that hole will be a bit large. It was "really loud" like that, but I didn't do any cuts like that to see if it gained anything.

The outlet cover in the pix is trimmed back some, but still allows the stock spark arrestor screen to function.

Last edited:
ok,
i finally have time to get to the mod on my 310. i still may sell it, but i'm going to try this first. here is a pic of the carb adjustment. i see a small slot on the edge of the limiter caps; is the a tab on the bottom of the caps that i need to line up with this slot in order to not destroy them? i plan to take small screw to pull the caps.

here is a link to me cutting some 10" pecan. i think i am averaging about 7secs through the cut.

http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/nn466/nmurph_01/

i am planning on 5-3/8" inch holes. this will give me an opening of .55 inches. can anyone give me the area of the exhaust port opening?

Latest posts

Back