362XP Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSJ/WI

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
362XP Project - how much play is too much?

Okay, so I'm putting my 362 back on the shelf in the shed when I notice what sounds like a rattle inside the saw...

This can't be good...

It turns out that the rattle is from the starter side crank bearing. The cage - or whatever you call it - that holds the individual balls in place, has separated from the bearing and is now just flopping around on the end of the crankshaft next to the bearing.

What I was actually hearing was the individual ball bearings as they rolled around loose inside the bearing race. Thankfully, there seems to be no indication that any of them came out of the bearing - no sign of any damage to the crankcase. So I guess, I should consider myself lucky to have noticed it when I did, but now, I need to split the case and replace the bearings - which at first seemed a bit daunting but after reading up on it here on the website I think I can handle it with a bit (may a lot) of help from you guys.

Here's the first question - How much play is too much for the top end of the connecting rod? I cannot feel or see any up/down play on the connecting rod. But it sure slides around easily on the bottom end!

I have made an attempt to measure the side to side play when wiggling the top end of the rod - approximately .066 or just over 1/16 inch. This is with the bottom held steady so that it's side to side motion is not added to the wiggle factor.

So, what do you guys think? Am I also replacing the crank?

Thanks,

PJ

Last edited:
I think the side to side play is acceptable. It is the radial play that is an issue. This is from my 362, 371 service manual

1. The big end bearing does no have any radial play. Axial
play is acceptable.
2. The big end bearing does not have any score marks or
discoloration on the sides. See fig. 7.
3. The little end bearing surface is not scored or discoloured.
See fig. 8.

Latest posts

Back