365 Husky Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Bought a used 365 Husky today---- (he needed the money for Christmas I guess) Still over half of the original chain left and not a mark on the saw itself.
Question. Why is the suggested no load max rpm., 1000 rpm less than the 362 and 372 call for. They are in the same series. What is the difference except the bore. Looks like the smoke holes will need a little enlarging but I will try to control myself till I test time some cuts to see what I gain from the muffler mod.
Oh! I introduced it to my Stihl and the sweet little thing offered to share its fuel with the big sister; I think they are going to get along well... too bad you fellows wouldn't all play as well together. Thanks,

Frank

365 husky

I know the 365 uses a different carb than the 372.

Matt:rolleyes:

Thanks fellows;
I found some more literature on the 365 and it indeed does have a different carb. I just wondered if there was some reason that it should not be ALLOWED to rev as high. Maybe the porting is different and it develops peak torque at a lower revs. It was set quite rich on the high speed. I put some duct tape over some of the air intake as it is -20 here this morning and will go out and try it on some wood.

Frank

I dont think the 365 has quad loop transfers. The 365 Special does have them, but I dont think that the normal 365 does. This would account for a fair bit of power.

I think Otto may be right about the transfers. The 365 is not an "XP" saw as is the 362 XP, which may have closed transfers or whatever. The differences between the 365 and 362XP may be along the lines of the differences between the 351 and the 346 XP. I wonder how the 365 or 362XP compare to my second generation 266 SE?

According to the decals it is a 365 Special. I tried it out a bit and found that it didnt seem to have much power at upper rpms. I put the high speed back rich and it improved overall performance. I'd describe it as more of a grunter than a screamer. From what I hear about the 372 it is a high revving saw. I wonder whether they deliberately put a small carb on the 365? The muffler is still stock and air filter nice and clean. It starts, idles, and acellerates nicely, so maybe it is just doing what it is supposed to. The depth guides on the chain are at 25 thou. and it feels llike it could handle bigger bites.

Frank

Dennis is currently warming over a 365 Special for my Dad.
I know they have a different jug and carburetor vs. a standard
365 or 2165. I'm curious to see how it stands up to my 2171.
I know the 2171 will be faster, but just how much. I think the
365 has a wider, flatter powerband.

2171s are very good for power to weight right out of the box.

They are built on the same 13.2 lb chassis as the 2163 and 2165.

The 2165 has a broader powerband and less high speed power than the 2163. It is open port.

Dennis, Is that a fair assesment?

I put another exhoust outlet on the 365 as I have seen on some of KD's photos. An extra 5/8 X 7/8 oval port in bottom muffler support. I will slip a screen in later when I get a chance to sneak momma's flour seive out of the house. That sure made a differance in both upper and lower end performance, but it is still not gonna be a racer. I wonder if the larger carb from the 372 will fit.

Frank

The 2165, the 365, and the 365 Special share the same cylinder and piston. It is a closed quad loop system. The only difference I have seen as of yet, is the carburetor. The 2165 and the 365 have Zamas and the 365 Special has a Walbro.

Thanks for the feedback;
if it was a 372 I might consider letting Dennis smarten it up. I think you get better bang for the buck by starting out with the largest displacement of the series. One of these days though!

Frank

If you are wanting max power you WOULD want the largest jug on the particular chassis series, thus the 372/2171.

Dennis, I learned something today, I didn't realize that the 2165 was a closed transfer saw, I was misinformed by my supply channels or they may have changed it?. I was told 2163 closed, 2165 open.

The 365 Special now has about 7 gallons of gas through it.(that is 14 Us gallons; our dollar is smaller but the bucket is bigger) It is loosening up and seems a bit more willing to rev. Real nice running saw, but from some cutting times I see posted for 372s, not about to beat one in a race. I was getting some pretty good times with my beloved super duper racing chain until I got too cocky and tried it out on some hard maple. I dropped through the cut onto the corner of a block and broke a tooth off. Chalk one up to experience. Took a pic of the extra porthole in the muffler K Dunn style in lower support bracket.

Frank

Latest posts

Back