365 low speed and idle problems.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lapatra

Reaction score
Hi guys sry if I posted this twice. I'm a bit new to this forum. I'm having some problems with the low speed and idle on my husky 365 non special. It coughs and stutters on rev up and does t like to idle. I tried a few small adjustments in the screws, drained the gas an also replaced the plug. No difference. Plug is light brown grey. Compression feels ok but I haven't checked it. Any ideas what else could be wrong? Is it time for a rebuild? Saw runs ok at WOT. It does start a little hard warm and sometimes needs to be choked even warm.

If you don't know when the fuel filter was changed last, I would put a new one in. It's cheap and simple, probably clean or replace air filter too, easier to do these and see how it works before you start tearing it apart.

Sounds like the low speed mixture screw(L) needs some tuning. Seems to be on the lean side. Start with it 1 turn out from lightly seated. When you do this, make sure you check where it is presently by noting how far you turn it in to lightly seat it.

If a substantial correction / increase of the L side is needed to get it idling better and recovering coming down from WOT i'd be vac and pressure testing it for an air leak. You don't want to burn up the saw, never leave that possibilty to chance.

I have cleaned air filter and I also did adjust L needle. It was at around 2 turns when I started I went in slightly and then out to a total of 4 turns with no apparent changes. I then reset to 1-1/2 turns out. I tried moving the H needle and it will only turn about 3/4 turn in or out before stopping. I didn't force it. I haven't changed a fuel filter yet. I run 93-100 gas with a high quality oil at 50:1 I was not using an ethanol treatment but did try some when this problem started. Would a crack in the intake or something cause these types of problems? The plug does look on the lean side. I believe the saw to be 1996 model and I'm not sure of previous maintenance as I have only owned it a short time.

Did you remove the adjustment limiters from the carburetor needle valves yet? This should be done first. I just cut the tabs off the limiters.

You may not be actually moving the needle valves?

I don't have an original straight 365 but have three 365 Specials and the low speed needle valve too rich or lean -either way could cause symptoms you describe. Usually, a sputter is too rich and a quit is too lean.

Idle fixes are worse than full speed to figure out . If it runs at high speed a fuel filter or air filter not going to fix it . After one or maybe a half out with the low will not fix it when you get to two out the adjustment is usally done . Now you got more choices . There are new carbs for less than 25 bucks I never tried one yet, or read on the walbro site there is a lot of info there . Just got done with a 372 same carb I think ,same problem. The time I spent figuring this all out . Just not willing to give it out.

Welcome,

It just might be time to go through The fuel/intake system from filter to cylinder. If this does not solve the issue then a compression test is next. 3rd would be a vacuum/pressure test to verify that there is not an air leak being introduced into the system to cause eratic operation/idle. A vac /pressure test can be done with intake and exhaust block off plates that are correctly sealed. They can easily be made with 1/4 " alum, plate and 1/4 npt barb fittings. An old school style vac/pressure fuel pump test gauge will handle the vac/ press verification duties. The vacuum source is under your nose. (insert joke here, haha) The spark plug must be well seated, a dab of grease will help seal it for the low pressure needed if in doubt. I'm not sure if the non special has a compression release but if it does I would plug it. I don't remember the thread count off hand. (10X1.? mm ) This issue has been solved hundreds if not thousands of times on this site. Spend a little time researching then ask what questions you are not sure about. Saws are not that complicated when broken down into the few simple systems that they are made up from.

Saw is running good. Cleaned the carb and fuel system and runs great. Thanks for the help. Now for the next project. I have a partner k950 demo saw. Not sure if this is the right place to ask seeing as its not a chainsaw but it's very similar and I believe partner is somehow connected to Husqvarna. It quit running and I'm not getting spark. I disconnected the kill switch to check that and also cleaned the contacts on the flywheel. Can anyone tell
Me how to test the coil or if this is even possible? Thanks

Latest posts

Back