365 Special leaking bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egraham

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 365 special that is probably 15 years old. I was having problems with the saw leaking oil so i took it into my local shop. They replaced the oil pump but the saw continues to leak oil. It will leak the entire tank out if I leave it full.

Is there a bar oil vent that could be clogged up that I need to clean? The guy that repaired it said I needed to remove the bar oil cap after I used it to release the pressure and this would stop the leak.

Any help would be appreciated.

sounds like you are the victim of a crooked saw shop. if it pumps oil the pump is still good. they likely didn't even replace it but billed you for it. gotta be careful with some of the crooked dealers. some insanely worn pumps will leak a tad out the worm gear housing area but i mean it would take some major hours. i've only ever seen it happen to a 395. other then that the pickup hose going into the tank is the seal for between the tank and the pump, very rare that that gets damaged but could be as for it to drain the whole tank it would have to be leaking somewhere low. other then that there is a rubber grommet that seals the oil tube to the pump. this is most likely spot for most saws as a large number of saws will leak there eventually. they usually only drip from that spot of a few hours after use though. the other rubber fitting is just to secure the other end of the tube to the bar mount and will almost never fail. i've seen some dip ***** forget to reinstall it after working under there and had it leak something fierce down behind the clutch. replacing the rubber bits almost always cure any leaks for me. i got a 372 i bought new in 03 that has never leaked and i've never replaced any of the rubber bits but i got a 372XT from 2012 and the thing pisses me off. all the rubber bits are good and yet somehow it dumps oil out around what looks to be the adjuster screw threads. only does it for about an hour after last run though. thinking i'm gonna swap a 390 oiler in it anyways. another possibility is having it leak out the tank. if you are talking it leaking bone dry from an upright position the case gasket could be culprit or even case damage as well but less likely. from a not being there to diagnose guess i'm putting my money on a split pickup tube. the dealer could replace the pump even and if that hose is split at the sealing cup it will always leak.

The pump was indeed out because it quit oiling when I was using it. I was trying to figure out where the vent was for the oil tank. It seems there has to be one.

The shop showed me where they thought the oil was coming from. It was behind a small metal plate that is between the bar and the saw. It was a silver part that was as big as a dime and had a dimple in it. I can't find any reference as to what this part is.

The shop showed me where they thought the oil was coming from. It was behind a small metal plate that is between the bar and the saw. It was a silver part that was as big as a dime and had a dimple in it. I can't find any reference as to what this part is.

They showed you where they thought it was leaking and they couldn't tell you what the part in question was or what it does? :dizzy:

Exactly. I can't find it either.

that part is a vent. i think they are considered non servicable but i have heard of people servicing them before. i've never had to. although you say it leaks the tank dry from sitting. that eliminates the possibility of it being the vent. it doesn't mean the vent won't leak but if they do it will only be til pressure is regulated. it has to be leaking somewhere low and the vent is obviously working otherwise it wouldn't leak at all.

Attachments

• Husqvarna 365.pdf
    406 KB · Views: 6
I went and looked at the saw this morning and the oil is coming from the vent. Could you knock the vent out through the oil fill hole and replace? The mechanic said it was supposed to act like a check valve but it was stuck open so oil would be forced out by the pressure in the tank after i shut it off and when it got hot.

Thanks for all the help.

Back