365 Special or 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I recall corectly, 340 is 40cc and 372xp is 70cc
the middle would be 50 cc and 60cc (give or take 5cc)
340 - 346 xp - 365 - 372 xp
is way better than
340 - 365 - 372 xp
or
340 - 346 xp - 372 xp

boy do I envy you...

No No No :chainsaw:

the solution is: 339xp, 346 xp, 357 xp and 372 xp.

And then the 340 for your wife :givebeer:

personal preference...

I dunno, man...I'm a ratio/numbers guy, if I was given total choice. My saws have almost all been 'accidental' purchases/finds. My chainsaw arsenal doesn't reflect this analytical approach as well as my actual arsenal, but my goal in both isn't home runs as much as consistent base hits. For that reason, the ratio of power to weight makes the 365 irrelevant to me... I really liked the "Thunder/Lightning" post :biggrinbounce2: If ... IF ... the 365's a steal, and you plan on modding it to rival stock 372XP levels, then sure...other than that, 346XP (or I hear the new MS261 isn't a total cripple...) :hmm3grin2orange:

261 mystery money

Getting a price on that saw has proven more challenging than I anticipated. I have two dealers here, and neither have it yet. Their price books are from January 2010... I'll bet Mr. Snelling can give you the low-down if he hasn't been sworn to secrecy :laugh:

I find more times than not, that the 340 just needs that little kick when working on the 12" stuff...it's not bad but you know what I mean, pine is no prob though.

If it was a 357 instead of the 365 then it's a no-brainer..just I don't need 2 372's. The CAS has bitten again that's all, when you dangle a carrot in front of a horse it will react. May have found a steal on a 346 but we'll see what happens...that will determine the outcome.

I appreciate the feedback.

"Um....dear, why do I need green kevlar pants?" ;)

Just so ya know, a 346 will smoke a 340.

My old 346 seems faster in wood under 10" than my 357. If that helps.
I love both saws though.

Just so ya know, a 346 will smoke a 340.

My old 346 seems faster in wood under 10" than my 357. If that helps.
I love both saws though.

how the 357XP does in the grandpa wood ?
anyone has both 372 and 357 ? how they differ in large wood?

I don`t know, 20"+ ?
larger ?
tell me more. not even close? could you elaborate please?
oh...sorry. I`m still asleep
i meant 372 and 576. sorry.
makes sense now.
cheers
still the Q still stands for 372 and 576

I don`t know, 20"+ ?
larger ?
tell me more. not even close? could you elaborate please?
oh...sorry. I`m still asleep
i meant 372 and 576. sorry.
makes sense now.
cheers
still the Q still stands for 372 and 576

ha ha ha. Ok, that sounds better. I've heard stock for stock the 576 has a slight edge, but more bulk. But I've never run a 576. I think ported would be a different story though.

I guess it's just something about the special that appeals to me, just different. Never ran one so i'm not familiar with the power curve, or how much more low grunt it has, was more of a wild idea with the larger sprocket.

Sharpened the chain on the 372 last night and was thinking even with a 16" bar it would be a bear for limbing.

The 346 seems to just be genetically attached to the 372 in some way, just the perfect compliment. You just have to own both....there seems to be no way around it.

gmcman, I feel your predicament, there is something appealing about the 365 special, I have all three, 346, 365, and 372. All bought new within the last two years. My 365 was a little cheaper than the 346 also. Checking Baileys OEM top end prices you will find 372 top ends cheaper than a 365 top end by a fair amount of money. The 365 is made with good stuff. I use my 365 more than the other two combined. REJ2

Back