365 special vs. 6401?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmc2003

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Alright, i am just looking for some opinions here. In equal wood, equal bar and chain, and all, which would come out on top? 6401 or 365? This all stemmed from an argument with this old school cat at work. He said the fastest saw is always husky. Says no other brands "turn up there" like a husky. Says no dolmar, stihl, or whatever in the same size bracket can outcut a husky. Opinions please? I say bull. But, lets see what ya'll say.

Alright, i am just looking for some opinions here. In equal wood, equal bar and chain, and all, which would come out on top? 6401 or 365? This all stemmed from an argument with this old school cat at work. He said the fastest saw is always husky. Says no other brands "turn up there" like a husky. Says no dolmar, stihl, or whatever in the same size bracket can outcut a husky. Opinions please? I say bull. But, lets see what ya'll say.

Matt,

Why go to work and argue with someone like that? You can just log onto AS in the comfort of your own home and start a "Which saw ...." thread and the "no other brand cats" will come to you.

Joat

Matt,

Why go to work and argue with someone like that? You can just log onto AS in the comfort of your own home and start a "Which saw ...." thread and the "no other brand cats" will come to you.

Joat

Thats what I like. Most arguments with minimal effort on my part...

I would rather have the 6401. The 365 is based on the 372 bottomend and that is too heavy for a 60cc saw. I have heard the 365 runs much like a 372 but has a lot of torque due to the large crankcase volume.

Interesting thread, because Husky is using some EPA credits to bring in a small amount 365's after the first of the year. (They have continued to make them for other markets all along) I only ordered a dozen, but I think the rest are all spoken for already. It will be priced well under a 372, and even under a 357.

Compared to the 6401, I'd say it's a coin toss and not worth arguing about, even though this thread end up with all the usual arguments.:givebeer:

What these saws also have in common is that they are both unfairly over shadowed by their 70CC big brothers. Both run very good, and are excellent buys in the "bang for the buck" sense.

i own one of each, both currently have 20 inch windsor speed tip bars and oregon 72 full comp chains, both saws are bone stock for the time being. in my guesstimation the 6401 slightly outcuts the 365. i love to run the 6401, but to me the 365 feels like a pig, compared to a 372 . . . then again the 6401 feels like a pig compared to a 7900. my preference is for the Makita and it cost about $200 less than the Husky

I would rather have the 6401. The 365 is based on the 372 bottomend and that is too heavy for a 60cc saw. I have heard the 365 runs much like a 372 but has a lot of torque due to the large crankcase volume.

LOL - the 6401 is based on the 7900, and heavier.......:laugh: :laugh: :biggrinbounce2:

Both actually are "too heavy" for a 60cc saw, but then they aren't 60cc saws...

Last edited:
LOL - the 6401 is based on the 7900, and heavier.......:laugh: :laugh: :biggrinbounce2:

Both actually are "too heavy" for a 60cc saw, but then they aren't 60cc saws...

Yeah, they are as close to 70 as they are to 60.

I've always felt that a 372 minus 6cc's is still makes for a pretty good saw. :clap:

I enjoy seeing lots of different opinions on stuff like this. Anybody got any rpm specs on some classic husky and stihls? 038 or 044 vs 268? Anything of the sort?

Well, i got to run them side by side today in red oa and white about 18" or so diameter. The 6401 definantly has the upper hand. The 365 had an 18" bar, and my makita a 20. But still, the 6401 had a bit more "grunt". I don't know the hours on the 365, but it has good compression, and has never had any problems.

From what I've seen the Makitamar 6400/7300 saws have a few % more pull than the corresponding Husky 365/372, but I own mostly Husky & Stihl because of dealer support. It's a good thing that Stihl is not selling a MS365 'cuz then we'd really be confused about what saw to buy - no, wait, we'd just buy them all!

:cheers:

Last edited:
From what I've seen the Makitamar 6400/7300 saws have a few % more pull than the corresponding Husky 365/372, but I own mostly Husky & Stihl because of dealer support. It's a good thing that Stihl is not selling a MS365 'cuz then we'd really be confused about what saw to buy - no, wait, we'd just buy them all!

:cheers:

They do, the question is whether the extra weight/bulk and clumsier handling is worth it......

...LOL - I never handled any of those Dolmars, so the handling part is second-hand info......:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:

I've seen guys around here running 36" bars on 365's. I think the 365 is a hell of a saw, I just have never owned one. I have however owned Dolmar and will never own another. Thats just me though.

Latest posts

Back