365 toasted (again) after rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa.hunter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
will have to try it again ,3rd times charm they say i went with big bore kit from bailys , threw money out in the snow i guess, i would say its my fault , after big bore kit was in place saw ran perfect only thing i could see it was little ruff at idle. ,that was it .thought maybe from big bore kit, no hesitation, at all , screamer i have no way to check seals , i ran 3 tanks threw it with no indecation anything was wrong it was powerful for those three tanks. was cutting up 28 " tree loggers left behind . i know my spelling sucks and so does my saw building ANY IDEAS? ??????:bang: :bang: i have to go down to shed see if it will turn over after it cools some . i have a few rebuilds under my belt cant for life of me figue out what happened ran good

How do you adjust the carb? That can be done safely by ear, but if so, I will err on the rich side, until I can dial it in with a tach. Adjusting a saw until it really screams will burn one up quickly, one can do it with a brand new saw.

dont know

You sucking air through a main seal? Bad rebuild kit?
if some thing was leaking it was very small , no indacation of anything wrong im thinking bad rebuild kit ,this first time this has happened to me. now, im leary of putting another cylinder on it without tearing down and replaceing seals or makeing something to check seals and rebuilding carb too

How do you adjust the carb? That can be done safely by ear, but if so, I will err on the rich side, until I can dial it in with a tach. Adjusting a saw until it really screams will burn one up quickly, one can do it with a brand new saw.
Not too much erring on the rich side anymore, you know they have too really scream. Steve

by ear

i have done a 8 rebuilds top end so far and one whole rebuild crank and all when , i said sreaming it was mostly cutting power over old 365 and new big bore kit had more tork for little while and i need a tach as well

dont know yet shes still hot

Another broken circlip?
banged like three times and quit running tuned over as i tryed to restart it . no starting , be time i got to house she was lock up to turning it over, fried :confused: my guess im going to go d0wn take it apart after i eat let you guys know what i find

well i am not as dumb as i thought

the piston came apart just fell apart at top cylinder is ok piston is toast ,i will go take some pictures you have got to see this and i checked squish it was .038

the piston came apart just fell apart at top cylinder is ok piston is toast ,i will go take some pictures you have got to see this and i checked squish it was .038

Bade kit then, or did something else grenade the piston?

Not too much erring on the rich side anymore, you know they have too really scream. Steve
Well then right there's your problem. A screaming saw's not a real good thing to have. A little burbbling four stroking never hurt any saw.

Last edited:
Well then right there's your problem. A little burbbling four stroking never hurt any saw.

I agree. All my saws are adjusted to where they start to burble and then a tad more. The only negative I would think possible from this is excess carbon buildup, although I'm sure with good synthetic oil mixed properly this isn't a problem.

no piston top came apart

i would guess ring caught exhaust port, bad tooling , cylinder is fine pictures comeing

Just make sure to check it real good, don't want it to happen again. If the cylinder is still good, likely just bad piston. Make sure one of the ring locating pins didn't back out or something.

Back