371 xp ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithbo

Reaction score
I am new here and looked for an answer, but was not able to find one using the search.

I have a problem with my 1998 371 XP. I was cutting with it and it quit running in the middle of a cut. I check gas. Not empty. I check the switch. No problem there. I pull the plug and look for spark. No spark. (I didn't stick my finger in to check spark having done so accidentally before.http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/eek.png) I put gas into the carb just to double check line etc. Not even a sputter. I think that the coil/ignition module is bad. So my questions are:
1: Should I be able to see the spark?
2: If the ignition module is bad will other modules from other saws fit? I looked at ebay ads and they list a lot of saws using a single non rev limited module. There are also some take off 346 and 340 345 350 353 OEM rev limited modules. (with different part numbers) Do the ignition coils/modules interchange? They look very similar. (I prefer a rev limited because sometimes others use the saw.) Thanks for the help.

Back