371xp came in today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I took the saw back out and fine tuned the carb. I was not sure where he had set it at so I turned it all the way in on both needles to count the rotations. The L needle was set at 1 3/4 turns out and the H was just about the saw. Yesterday I had run the H needle out another 1/2 turn. I guess that means it was right around 1/14 turns. I seemed a little lean to mean and that 1/2 turn out took care of that.

Now the saw starts on 2 pulls. idles smooth, there is no hesitation in the throttle , and it seems to four stroke a little wide open. I am trying to get a buddy to bring his tach over so that I can see exactly where I am.

Now all I need to do is the mod the muffler and I will be good to go.

I took it out in the yard and used it to flush cut a few pine stumps from some trees I took down a couple weeks ago. The chain is not all the sharp, but it sure ran smooth.

Man I love this.

Adam

gafirefighter; I know I will more than likely need a new clutch cover. The one that is on it is cracked and it sure does let alot of bar oil ooze out. Sure is funny how the bar oil goes in clean and 2 minutes latter comes out black and nasty. When I received it the oiler was turned all the way up. Even after turning it down it appears to be slinging alot of oil. I guess I would rather have alot then too little. Adam[/QUOTE said:
If the oil coming out appears black, it may be the previous owner was using drained engine oil for bar lube. Until its flushed out, it will remain that way.

If the crack on the clutch cover is behind the bar studs, it probably isn't the issue. Is your bar guide(s) in place?

My 272 oils pretty heavily, but better that way than dry.

I figured out why there is more oil then normal coming out the top of the clutch cover. I pulled it again this evening to look around. There is a slim black piece of plastic with a lip on the top mounted to the crank case. The lip in the top has about a 3/4 gouge right around where the crack is in the case.

So I conclude that this would be the cause of extra oil coming out the top. I can not see how it would in any way cause any problems with the saw. I just may have to clean it a little more often.

Adam

Can you post some pics of what you are referring to?

It may be lack of sleep but I am having a hard time figuring out what it is?

By the way, did you find the ipl?

Fred

sounds like the coil was updated.

More than likely I will rebuild the carb. I was planning on ordering a new bar and a couple of chains off Baileys tonight. I will probably also pick up a fuel line and a rebuild kit if they have it. Also, the coil is black, not blue. I believe that is the non limited one. Is that correct?

I know I will more than likely need a new clutch cover. The one that is on it is cracked and it sure does let alot of bar oil ooze out. Sure is funny how the bar oil goes in clean and 2 minutes latter comes out black and nasty.

When I received it the oiler was turned all the way up. Even after turning it down it appears to be slinging alot of oil. I guess I would rather have alot then too little.

Adam

many were as the blue non limited coils seemed to fail.as for the oil,as long as you don't run out before you run out of fuel.some folks forced the adjuster screw too many times and boogered them up.372 had the updated oiler.you can convert it any time.

many were as the blue non limited coils seemed to fail.as for the oil,as long as you don't run out before you run out of fuel.some folks forced the adjuster screw too many times and boogered them up.372 had the updated oiler.you can convert it any time.

I thought about replacing it, and I still may. I want to get it out and run through a tank of oil and see how it goes. Then I will go from there. Thanks for the info.

Adam

Oiling........I have stihls and two jred 2171's (same as 372)........when free-revved out of wood oil oozes out the top between the body and bar cover on the jreds. It does not do this on my stihls, just drips out the bottom, so I don't think there is anything wrong with yours. Clean it up, and cut some wood instead of free-revving and I don't think you will have the same problem.

On my new 2171, the manual says up to 18" bar 2 turns out, 18" to 24" 3 turns out, and 24" to 28" 4 turns out on the oiler screw. For my 20" bar I have it 2.5 turns out and it works out fine.......puts out more oil than my 361 did stock turned up all the way.

Until your oiler stops working I would run it like it is unless it is running out of bar oil before your fuel tank is empty. And used ones on ebay are very inexpensive compared to new.

Waylan

i have three husqvarna saws and they all get a good pool of oil ontop of the clutch cover when im done cutting. its just left over oil on the chain flininng off around the sprocket and out of cracks. it wont do it uless you rev it up out of the wood. when your in the wood the oil rubs off on the chips and you wont get that oil fling inside your clutch cover.

Latest posts

Back