371xp idle issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Johnson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am rebuilding a 371xp. That has been sitting for awhile. No gas was in tank when I got saw. It had no spark so I installed a new ignition coil and now it has spark. I put the saw back together and put gas in the tank. It started and revs fine. When I put the saw down to see how it idled it would slowly die. What would cause this?

I have not rebuilt carb. Wanted to adjust carb but black and white limiters only allow me to turn H-L so much. Was gonna turn T screw clockwise a little to see if that helps.

I always remove the limiter caps when I rebuild a carb, you can tweek it to your needs but don't lean it out too much or you'll burn up the P&C[emoji2959]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I take it you used a new fuel line, impulse line and fuel filter. Bad or loose fitting lines can be a problem. Made sure tank vent is clear. Side cutters will remove those limiters, run needles all the way in and back off one turn for a start, do not over tighten when closing.

II would start with adjusting the idle screw to ensure that it is not something simple before I would strip and rebuild the carburettor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get yourself a cheap Tachometer on amazon or flea bay.... low and high speed are roughly 1 full turn out from fully seated , then start from there to fine adjust the low speed once it warms up. Idle should be around 2700-3000 ... the service manual for the 371 has a great explanation on the carb adjustment. Do that before you take apart the carb. IMHO tho, if the saw has been sitting for a while, get a rebuild kit (15$) and rebuild the carb.

The vent on the tank could be an issue too. You will notice sometimes an airlock when you take off the gas cap if it’s an issue.

Sounds like a hard diaphragm. They slowly die because the can’t move enough fuel when hard.
Just put a kit in it and you should be good. Sounds like you stored it properly but doesn’t hurt to check line and filter also. You carb sounds like it’s pretty clean inside as it starts and idles but dies...should be an easy fix!!!

Latest posts

Back