371xp or 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprintmotor45

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just wondered what you Husky gurus wondered about the differences between the 372xp and 371 xp are. I already have a 372 and love it! And thanks to ebay I now own a 371xp! Don't be afraid to get technical I would love to have all the imput i can get.

sprintmotor45 said:
I just wondered what you Husky gurus wondered about the differences between the 372xp and 371 xp are. I already have a 372 and love it! And thanks to ebay I now own a 371xp! Don't be afraid to get technical I would love to have all the imput i can get.

Different chain stretcher thingy...

I thought properly adjusted and oiled chains aren't supposed to stretch. Did you mean different chain tensioner thingy? :)

I'd like to know the difference too. I just ran my first 371 a few days ago, at dusk, for about two cuts.
Seemed the same to me, except it took 9 pulls, cold, to start it, compared to my 372 which takes 5.

What is "tensioner"? Is it some high fangled physics term?

Mike Maas said:
I'd like to know the difference too. I just ran my first 371 a few days ago, at dusk, for about two cuts.
Seemed the same to me, except it took 9 pulls, cold, to start it, compared to my 372 which takes 5.

What is "tensioner"? Is it some high fangled physics term?
I might be wrong, but it seems to me that one model had a 1 ring piston and the other a 2 ring piston.

spacemule said:
I might be wrong, but it seems to me that one model had a 1 ring piston and the other a 2 ring piston.

I used to think that as well,l but I think some reported that their late model 372 also had a single ring. So I am not sure the pattern is clear. Could be wrong, though.

The main differences are very few. The 371's had a solid orange fuel tank and a chain tensioner on the case below the muffler. Kind of a pain to use with a long hex'd scrench.

The 372 has the semi transparent fuel tank and the side chain adjuster on the bar cover.

Both came with single and double rings. The non EPA's had single rings and the EPA's had dual rings. I've only ever seen one non epa 372, but have seen a couple 371's.

Jonsereds went the same way. the 2071 was the 371 counterpart and the 2171 was the 372.

You can put a side chain adjuster bar cover on the older ones (371/2071) You just have to remove the existing one on the saw.

There were minor differences in carbs, but mostly due to EPA or non EPA.

Rev liminting coils were introduced on the 372 on models made in late 2004.

371K and 375K (chop saws) had rev limited coils from the get go, according to my dealer. They are set lower than the chainsaws were...

I was cutting the other day with a guy with a 371 and I saw that he was adjusting his chain with a scrench.

No wonder some folks really hate the style of adjuster (I have that type on my 371 and 395). It never even occurred to me that anyone would try to put up with the hassle of using a scrench with that type of adjuster (you can't turn the thing). I use a more slender fairly long screwdriver on those saws and other than my eyesight at that distance is not a flexible as it was, I don't really hate that setup. Of course I think the Stihl adjusters are the best.

My point is anyone using a scrench to adjust a 371 needs an adjustment themselves. Disadvantage is I have to carry another screwdriver but since I always carry a medium size toolkit it is no issue.

B_Turner said:
I was cutting the other day with a guy with a 371 and I saw that he was adjusting his chain with a scrench.

No wonder some folks really hate the style of adjuster (I have that type on my 371 and 395). It never even occurred to me that anyone would try to put up with the hassle of using a scrench with that type of adjuster (you can't turn the thing). I use a more slender fairly long screwdriver on those saws and other than my eyesight at that distance is not a flexible as it was, I don't really hate that setup. Of course I think the Stihl adjusters are the best.

My point is anyone using a scrench to adjust a 371 needs an adjustment themselves. Disadvantage is I have to carry another screwdriver but since I always carry a medium size toolkit it is no issue.

The old 365's had the same style adjustment. used it for years.. The 365 special spoiled me enough to go out and buy a cover with the adjuster in it. Took 2 minutes to take the old adjuster out of the saw and put the new/used cover on. Off coarse, i always did have a couple screws loose.. HAHAHA.

Freakingstang said:
The main differences are very few. The 371's had a solid orange fuel tank and a chain tensioner on the case below the muffler. Kind of a pain to use with a long hex'd scrench.

The 372 has the semi transparent fuel tank and the side chain adjuster on the bar cover.

Both came with single and double rings. The non EPA's had single rings and the EPA's had dual rings. I've only ever seen one non epa 372, but have seen a couple 371's.

Jonsereds went the same way. the 2071 was the 371 counterpart and the 2171 was the 372.

You can put a side chain adjuster bar cover on the older ones (371/2071) You just have to remove the existing one on the saw.

There were minor differences in carbs, but mostly due to EPA or non EPA.

Rev liminting coils were introduced on the 372 on models made in late 2004.

371K and 375K (chop saws) had rev limited coils from the get go, according to my dealer. They are set lower than the chainsaws were...

Completely correct Steve.

The rev limited coils are blue, rather than black. I also have been told that there are some holes in the rod to aid in getting some oil to the rod bearing on the 372, but I have never actually comfirmed this myself.

B_Turner said:

its not that bad once you get used to it....

Back in the mid/late '90s, I considered the 371XP one of my go-to saws, along with the 262XP.

I agree with Mike that it does seem to be a harder starter than the 372.... or maybe just coincidence.

IMG_0623.jpg

spacemule said:
Not really, as far as I know the changeover from one to two rings took place before the 371 became the 372 in the US, and never some other places, like here.......:biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back