371XP rebuild recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffbecky1

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got a Husky 371XP and would like some recommendations. The compression is 120psi and does run, but bogs a little in the cut. I was wondering what most of you would do. I don't need this saw for income, just firewood cutting for myself. Should I just get a ring, piston and ring, or complete cylinder and piston kit? What is the end gap supposed to be on the ring?

I also have a stock Makita 6401 that I made from two broken saws (top end from one saw and bottom from another). The compression is 180psi and really is a strong saw. Should I expect the 371 to be equal in performance if compression was higher? As it is right now the stock Makita cuts way stronger.

Thanks for any advice.

I would get a meteor piston and put in it and run it. It should be as strong or stronger than the 6400.

I would get a meteor piston and put in it and run it. It should be as strong or stronger than the 6400.

Should be stronger, by a fair margin!

It is impossible to know what he has to change, without more detailed information and pictures.....

True but with him saying he made one 6400 out of 2 I suspect he knows quite a bit about them and he didn't mention anything being wrong with it but low compression. If the piston is smeared all over the cylinder then a big bore kit might be a better choice.

371's are great! Rebuild it. If its not scored at all, then I'd just chuck a meteor piston and rings in there and you're laughing. Pop the cylinder off and take a look.

371's are great! Rebuild it. If its not scored at all, then I'd just chuck a meteor piston and rings in there and you're laughing. Pop the cylinder off and take a look.
Just curious in that I am putting together a 371xp. The piston and cylinder are fine. It is the EPA 2 ring model. Is there an advantage in using a Meteor piston and single ring over the dual EPA model? My original thought was just change the rings.

Just curious in that I am putting together a 371xp. The piston and cylinder are fine. It is the EPA 2 ring model. Is there an advantage in using a Meteor piston and single ring over the dual EPA model? My original thought was just change the rings.

Not really. Just use the 2 rings.

What is the pit/hole in the cylinder wall in the fourth pic? Or is it just some dirt that looks like a pit in the photo?

My 371xp was down to about 125 PSI when I ported and rebuilt it back in the winter, I forget the ring gap but it was WAY too high; .010" is the upper end of what would be considered really good. Threw a new ring in, got rid of the base gasket (371s are notorious for having excessive squish clearance) and I'm up to a bit over 150 now; it was like a brand new saw afterwards.

meteor pistons are pretty cheap. I'd just do that. Then you get a new caber ring. Hone that jug and run without gasket and should be good to go

did you guys use any sealant on the base at all?

Yeah mate...photo copy paper, paperbag, magazine cover/page, alum drink can, certain silastics, threebond, etc.

If you use a soft sealer of some description, apply it as thinly as you possibly can. Run your finger, with pressure around the transfer area so it removes the sealer back away from the edge so it doesn't protrude into the transfer/case area upon assembly.

cheers have rebuilt 372xp with aftermarket p&c and dissapointed with squish being more than needed . will this make saw run hotter temp. may have to do muff mod while im at it.

Latest posts

Back