372 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, today I finally modified the muffler on the 372. I added a 5/8 hole with screen. The screen is actually the replacement screen for a stock muffler, I just had to trim it down. I think right now the total area of muffler exhaust is a little under the cylinder exhaust outlet. I haven't stuck it in any wood yet. I'm gonna get tached tomorrow. Hope the picture goes through.

Doug

This is the muffler on the 350. Did it a while back. Can't really see the pic real good though :( . I cut the original deflector off, cut the hole bigger, and made a new deflector and had it braised on.

Scott,

I left the top port alone and the 372 doesn't have any baffles.....just an empty can. My 350 had no baffles too. I don't know if all the Huskys are like that???

Doug

Scott,

You were probably talking about the opening on the 350 muffler. My mistake. No, I put some in the back of that muffler. I wish I had that one to do over. It works though.

Doug

Thanks! I'm SURE Dan's work is much better. I was going to make it oval at first but that would require cutting of some sort and I don't have the tools (I gotta get a dremel). Drilling would be easier and if I ever think it should be bigger it would be easy to do.

Scott, as far as doing the 350's over, I would do it similar to the other. I forget who, but someone on this site did a 340 that looked really good. Or somehow make the top bigger but still use the screen.

Doug

Here's my modded outlet on my mmw346xp. A 17mm pipe replaced the original 10mm and some additional vents was put in as well.

Q

Well, to get more oomf at lower revs that's the kind of hole you need... Mind you, don't forget to adjust the carb to run richer -
One more thing; Make sure not to leave any metal debris after drilling - as an under pressure of 0.3bar is created when pulling the start cord before the saw starts and might suck the debris into the cylinder.

Q

Doug1,

Get a dremel and tools, they're cheap, maybe $45 total on ebay...

Then make that second port about 60% larger. As well, enlarge the original port and grind back the deflector somewhat.. Shoot for 1 to 1.25 times the cylinder exhaust port size. When I did this to my Madsen's powertuned 372, it made big gains, and cut with my Walkerized one.

I was thinking about making it 3/4 instead of 5/8. That'll be easy to do. I didn't want to go overbaord but after seeing Q's 346 I guess I got some room to play.

Doug

Does anyone who has this mod find it problematic that the exhaust gas is directed at the wood when the saw is dogged in? Drives alot of heat back at ya and chars the wood. I wish I had put a deflector of some kind on mine and may still.

I did the cut through the muffler bracket mod on my 372 and in normal felling and bucking, not problem at all, except for sometimes scorching the moss on big maple cuts.
For milling, with the Alaskan mill, it was unbearable. I made a little deflector that directed the exhaust down, or when the saw was in the milling position, in front of the cut.

Back