372 or 395???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure if i will ever see really big wood... 24" max most likely. recently got into woodworking and a family member has some acreage they are letting me cut through for lumber.

i've read a ton on here about the versatility of the 372 and would normally not ask the question as these saws are really in different "weight" classes. but like i said i can get a 395 in similar condition as the 372 for the same price and as said before that may never happen again!

not sure if i will ever see really big wood... 24" max most likely. recently got into woodworking and a family member has some acreage they are letting me cut through for lumber.

i've read a ton on here about the versatility of the 372 and would normally not ask the question as these saws are really in different "weight" classes. but like i said i can get a 395 in similar condition as the 372 for the same price and as said before that may never happen again!

Well, in that case,,, Id probably get the 395 now and later on down the road keep an eye out for a 372.

If you really just want 1 of the 2, Id probably get the 395 just because of the milling. If the weight don't bother ya, you could always put an 8 pin sprocket and a 24'' bar with a really sharp chain and cut like crazy.

get a 390xp or look for a dealer that has a remaining 385xp. Plenty of power for felling and enough power for the mill. they would be better choices

given the choice, I'd go for the 395 and a couple of bars - 20 or 24" for smaller stuff, and 30"ish for the bigger bits.

I had to go deal with a large cedar of lebanon limb that had fallen today and was blocking a footpath. Probably 24" across, I was planning to use my 365 with 20" bar most and chucked the 660 on the truck just in case... I ended up using that for most of the work, 36" bar and all! Just so much fun, I really need a shorter bar :hmm3grin2orange:

Just looked up the specs on the 395xp, power head weight is 17 pounds. In comparison a McCulloch 610 which was a very common 60cc firewood saw in the 80's also had a power head weight of 17 pounds. Here is the comparison from Acres site

Model Profile: Power Mac 610 Model Profile: 394XP

Not to be too negative or anything because I like Old Macs, but those pm610's sure were a bulky and overweight saw, it just shows how little R&D Mac spent on it, They ended up paying for it in the long run.:msp_sad:

Not to be too negative or anything because I like Old Macs, but those pm610's sure were a bulky and overweight saw, it just shows how little R&D Mac spent on it, They ended up paying for it in the long run.:msp_sad:

my point was that the 395 is not that heavy. there are gazillions of those pm610 still out there cutting wood, heck I even have 2, but I would rather have the 395 for its power to weight ratio than the 610 or even the 372 especially for the price of the 372. What I should be mentioning is the smile factor, the 395 has a little better smile factor than the 372.:msp_biggrin:

my point was that the 395 is not that heavy. there are gazillions of those pm610 still out there cutting wood, heck I even have 2, but I would rather have the 395 for its power to weight ratio than the 610 or even the 372 especially for the price of the 372. What I should be mentioning is the smile factor, the 395 has a little better smile factor than the 372.:msp_biggrin:

Until I found this site I never thought my 395 was all that heavy. I had a 394 before that. I am working on a friends PM 605 which I believe is the same as a 610 with a little bit smaller motor. He has two of them and cuts all his fire wood with them and one MS 310 Stihl. I think the OP should get the 395. Or get both as others have suggested if he can afford it.

It just depends on what you compare the 395 too if its heavy or not. Its really not that heavy, but compared to a 372, it is heavy.

sawpic016.jpg

after I run my Homelite 770 my Stihl 066 feels light. We can do this all day, for the price if you have both saws sitting in front of you and they are the same price I would think you would get the bigger saw, I know I would.

stumping002.jpg

Until I found this site I never thought my 395 was all that heavy. I had a 394 before that. I am working on a friends PM 605 which I believe is the same as a 610 with a little bit smaller motor. He has two of them and cuts all his fire wood with them and one MS 310 Stihl. I think the OP should get the 395. Or get both as others have suggested if he can afford it.

"Ignorance is Bliss"

I'm beginning to think the OP started this thread just to see us argue about two great saws, I don't even own a Husqvarna saw and here I am blithering on about this saw or that. I think it is time to go outside and video myself cutting cookies with my saws, or maybe finish tearing apart a Poulan 4000 for rebuild.

I'm beginning to think the OP started this thread just to see us argue about two great saws, I don't even own a Husqvarna saw and here I am blithering on about this saw or that. I think it is time to go outside and video myself cutting cookies with my saws, or maybe finish tearing apart a Poulan 4000 for rebuild.

thread started for legitimate reason... i'm getting the boss 395! :hmm3grin2orange:

Oh no man. Its all good. Why heck, what ever feels good to you is what i say. Not that what i say matters, but to each his own. Ya know? ......and really in a lot of cases ignorance is bliss. Until i found this site, I had only saw a Stihl 08S and a Jonsered 2094. And I was 38 years old when i found this site.

Oh no man. Its all good. Why heck, what ever feels good to you is what i say. Not that what i say matters, but to each his own. Ya know? ......and really in a lot of cases ignorance is bliss. Until i found this site, I had only saw a Stihl 08S and a Jonsered 2094. And I was 38 years old when i found this site.

I know I am just kidding, just think it is funny how everyone has a different opinion about everything. I am close to the same age as you and a Stihl 032 was my only saw for awhile. I started collecting for something to do in the winter to keep me busy and it is fun to have a site like this to share our stories because my wife just glazes over and everyone else just doesn't care.

after I run my Homelite 770 my Stihl 066 feels light. We can do this all day, for the price if you have both saws sitting in front of you and they are the same price I would think you would get the bigger saw, I know I would.

Id say there isn't much that feels heavier than the 770. I would get the bigger myself too....just putting out different opinions.

I know I am just kidding, just think it is funny how everyone has a different opinion about everything. I am close to the same age as you and a Stihl 032 was my only saw for awhile. I started collecting for something to do in the winter to keep me busy and it is fun to have a site like this to share our stories because my wife just glazes over and everyone else just doesn't care.

Thats awesome man. we have a lot in common then...lol! My wife thinks its funny if anything....but not too funny when I buy new saws.....:(

thread started for legitimate reason... i'm getting the boss 395! :hmm3grin2orange:

Great decision. I don't think you will regret getting it. And if you end up like some of the other guys you will eventually get a 372 as well. No one is immune to CAD.

Back