372 XP tank leaking. . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Reaction score
That 372 I stole (figuratively) a month or two ago has finally seen some use. I bought the few parts it needed last week, fueled it up, and did some cutting with it. They are indeed a very nice saw, and I was surprised how nice it cut with a sharp square filed chain.

I noticed yesterday that the tank was empty when my two boys and I were going out to cut some Larch. I didn't think much of the tank being empty as the oil tank was low as well.

I fueled it up and set it in the back of the truck. My oldest son said he could smell gas a few minutes later. I picked up the saw and noticed a little fuel on the bottom of the handle/tank.

It appears the seam is ever so slightly separated in about a 2" section, where the tank halves are joined. It's a slow leak, but a leak nonetheless.

Is it common for the 372 to develop a leak there? I'm not sure what to do here.

I could replace the tank, but I also was considering a tank sealer, or perhaps some JB Weld. I just don't know how well the JB will hold up?

Has anyone else had their 372 leak there, and if so, what did you do to remedy the leak (short of replacing the tank).

I had a similar problem with mine. I've never had much luck with any kind of sealers, so I just bought a used tank on ebay.

I have used JB weld on fuel and oil tanks. Make sure you remove the fuel cap and drain the fuel and leave open and allow to dry or air out for a day or two with saw upside down so your crack is in the open. Also scuff the surface well with emery cloth, or sandpaper etc. And don't be affraid to make a large patch, go well beyond the ends of the crack or split.

I had a similar problem with mine. I've never had much luck with any kind of sealers, so I just bought a used tank on ebay.

This is definitely an option. . . I wonder if our case is a limited one? I'm curious to see if others will chime in with a similar leak?

I have used JB weld on fuel and oil tanks. Make sure you remove the fuel cap and drain the fuel and leave open and allow to dry or air out for a day or two with saw upside down so your crack is in the open. Also scuff the surface well with emery cloth, or sandpaper etc. And don't be affraid to make a large patch, go well beyond the ends of the crack or split.

I'm an old hat with JB weld -- she has carried me through many the project. :cheers:

Nate, the only true fix is a new tank..... with that said I have had some decent results by cleaning the seam really well with brake cleaner to de grease it and stitch "welding" it back together with a soldering iron, then sealing the tank with the ->Kreem<- tank liner. A little JB over the stitch weld to smooth and strengthen would probably make it all but bullet proof but I didn't go there at the time. Good luck :cheers:

This is definitely an option. . . I wonder if our case is a limited one? I'm curious to see if others will chime in with a similar leak?

It's a known issue on the Husky tanks, they always split in the same place on the seam.... if you post a picture of your saw I'll put a red arrow where it's leaking. :laugh:

I'd put the JB Weld on and see how it goes. It will last for a while, at least, and give you time to look for a new tank, if needed. You've got nothing to lose by trying it.

It's a known issue on the Husky tanks, they always split in the same place on the seam.... if you post a picture of your saw I'll put a red arrow where it's leaking. :laugh:

I bet it's coming from here. :)

picture.php

Not suggesting you do this just a thought maybe someone else has tried it.

I know that tank is plastic and the crack is on a seem but I know that with cracks in steel if you drill a hole right at the end of the crack it usually stops the crack from "running" any further.

Nate, the only true fix is a new tank..... with that said I have had some decent results by cleaning the seam really well with brake cleaner to de grease it and stitch "welding" it back together with a soldering iron, then sealing the tank with the ->Kreem<- tank liner. A little JB over the stitch weld to smooth and strengthen would probably make it all but bullet proof but I didn't go there at the time. Good luck :cheers:

I may just try a repair then. . . Sounds like you had decent results?

:agree2: But im a sucker for some JB weld myself :)

JB Weld is the glue that binds us. LOL :laugh:

Has Husky addressed the issue at all??

I'd put the JB Weld on and see how it goes. It will last for a while, at least, and give you time to look for a new tank, if needed. You've got nothing to lose by trying it.

Yup, if the patch lasted a year, that's a years extra out'a the deal.

Not suggesting you do this just a thought maybe someone else has tried it.

I know that tank is plastic and the crack is on a seem but I know that with cracks in steel if you drill a hole right at the end of the crack it usually stops the crack from "running" any further.

Funny you would mention this. . . I was considering drilling 1/16" holes along the seam, essentially giving the JB "fingers" to hold onto.

Try good old Seal-All. For a saw I would probably get a new tank but I have used Seal-All on both gas and diesel tanks will good results.

I may just try a repair then. . . Sounds like you had decent results?

Yeah, fixed it for a logger known for beating the dog snot out of his stuff, held up for about 7 months until he dropped a tree on it and smashed the saw beyond all reasonable repair. Should last the average guy two lifetimes. :laugh:

Has Husky addressed the issue at all??

Nope... if it doesn't fail under warranty it's not an issue :taped:.... that little rule applies to all companies BTW not just Husky. :bang:

Try good old Seal-All. For a saw I would probably get a new tank but I have used Seal-All on both gas and diesel tanks will good results.

That Seal-All seems to be really good stuff. . . The Kreem says it's for metal tanks and not for plastic ones, so it probably won't work.

I'm also leaning heavily towards JB or Super-Mend.

Yeah, fixed it for a logger known for beating the dog snot out of his stuff, held up for about 7 months until he dropped a tree on it and smashed the saw beyond all reasonable repair. Should last the average guy two lifetimes. :laugh:

Nope... if it doesn't fail under warranty it's not an issue :taped:.... that little rule applies to all companies BTW not just Husky. :bang:

That sounds about right :censored:. . . Being a known issue, they should have the sack to remedy it though.

Latest posts

Back