372 xp vs. MS462

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agreb12

Stihl Addicted
Reaction score
Picked up the below 372xp, actually seems to be in pretty good working order. Had "been to a saw shop before I bought it" and the fuel breather hose wasn't connected, so I fixed that and cleaned it up a bit. I also got 2 new Oregon 24" chains with it. Gave $600, think its a pretty fair price. Thoughts?
Likely will be a saw to loan to my dad and a couple of experienced friends when they need more than a 40 cc homeowner saw. I have a 395xp for milling and larger stuff and preffered it to an MS660 I had prior. So I figured I would try a decent used 372. The ability to switch bars and the plethora of 24" chains I have is super nice.

This morning I got out to cut some pine I felled this past weekend, my takeaways in comparison to the 462 are, it seems to be a much more manageable power, smoother when leaned on and feels good in the hands. It definitely doesn't have the all out speed and sound of the 462 and is a tad heavier... But is a really nice machine.

I ordered a new OEM exhaust as this one is crushed in and a wrap handle which I prefer on a mid sized saw for felling. Can't believe only the guys on the West Coast can get those.... Also a pull cover sticker cause I am a little meticulous. Any tips for getting to exhaust bolts when the muffler is slightly crushed? I guess when the new one comes, I can just try drilling out the creases.

Anyways, any other suggestions would be appreciated. Have a little bit of CAD, any reviews on the 572 when compared to the 372?

Attachments

• IMG_9232.jpg
    IMG_9232.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9233.jpg
    IMG_9233.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9231.jpg
    IMG_9231.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9230.jpg
    IMG_9230.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
You comparing a MS462 to a Husky 372?
I guess they all have their charm, you're talking about the best saws ever made now and then.
I'd say the quality aim is a little different.

I appreciate my ability to build, service and maintain my DIY copycat saws. Their agenda was simple and solid.
I get the power to weight alright with my 54mm bore 82,5cc DIY MS460, but it's a gas hog.
Not really that pleasant to get started and use for hours either...

I own a 372xpw and use a 462R at work...the 372s are still good saws, but the 462 is just a flat out better work saw IMO. It's not really a fair comparison, as the 462 is a 20+ year newer design than the 372. More power, much lighter weight, etc...the only thing I prefer about my Husky is I like the Husky full-wrap compared to Stihl 3/4 wrap.

Air filter cover needd a wrench to remove on 462. Zo me thsts a huge turn off would push me to the 500i or older saws like 046 460 440

You comparing a MS462 to a Husky 372?

I guess they all have their charm, you're talking about the best saws ever made now and then.

I'd say the quality aim is a little different.

I appreciate my ability to build, service and maintain my DIY copycat saws. Their agenda was simple and solid.

I get the power to weight alright with my 54mm bore 82,5cc DIY MS460, but it's a gas hog.

Not really that pleasant to get started and use for hours either...
A 462 isn't really more complex than a 372. Both are dead simple.

Just one of those things for me. 50 years of saws with toolless air filter covers then the 462 needs a tool, Its out

Latest posts

Back