372 xpw cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idiotwithasaw

another row to hoe
Reaction score
Ok so I bought two cylinders off eBay that were listed as off of a 2171 jonsered. I got them in tonight and I was doing some measuring and one of them stamped 50zn21 measures 49.99 mm with my cheapo hf calipers. And the other one stamped 50zk6 measures 51.44. now I know that most 372 family top ends are stamped 50zk6 and the jonsereds are stamped with a zn designation.

They both appear to be in good shape, the 50zn21 had some minor transfer that I cleaned up with the MM method.

Did I luck into a XPW top end and not even know it? Where do I even get a piston for it?

I'll post pics next.

A lot of debate on the "bigger is better" cylinder on this chassis. I put a new 51.4 cylinder on my 365 special, ran about 20 tanks thru it, and put the 48mm cylinder back on. I like the broad range of power of 365 special cylinder. I was cutting hardwood with a 20" bar and have only ran them stock.

Ok well now that I'm discouraged, they came with one piston I measuredbit and it's the one for the 51.4 cylinder. However I'm not sure if it's useable, it looks like someone took sandpaper to the exhaust side, even if lightly, and the intake has some streaks that while not deep can still barely be felt with my fingernail.

Would you all reuse it or bite the bullet and order an expensive oem piston and do a little port work on the cylinder.IMAG2087.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG2088.jpg
    IMAG2088.jpg
    669.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG2089.jpg
    IMAG2089.jpg
    833.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG2090.jpg
    IMAG2090.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 66
Ok, would you at least get new rings. I was concerned because the skirt measures almost a quarter mm smaller than the cylinder, I know that it needs clearance for oil and to keep from seizing, just seems like a lot of slack. I'm not sure what the clearances should be.

Ok, would you at least get new rings. I was concerned because the skirt measures almost a quarter mm smaller than the cylinder, I know that it needs clearance for oil and to keep from seizing, just seems like a lot of slack. I'm not sure what the clearances should be.
New rings would be a good idea. I'm not to sure about the skirt clearances, but someone here will know.

I put a (Sawking) ported XPW top end on a 365 special and advanced the timing Six degrees and that thing was a total animal. Easily outran any 70cc class saw I have ever ran and honestly felt like it would keep up with a 288.

Joe

That's just it, ported, I'm hoping to be able to run it stock. Maybe take off a little at the transfer inlet do a spike60 special mod to it. Hate to ruin a perfectly good jug though. Maybe I should just tinker with the 50mm.

Now I need to rewatch it. If someone would link it here for others that would be great. I don't know how though.

Back