372 xpw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I snagged one while I could. I absolutely love the XPW, if I were only able to keep one saw- that would probably be the one. I dont have much time on mine, but it gets better and better as I use it.
If I had to replace it, and couldnt find another, I would grab an XT as I know they are fine saws as well.

The "break in" is definately overrated! But I have built enough engines (just no saws) to know that it is best to properly run the rings into a fresh hone job. It may not be a rule nor is it going to ruin the engine. But ring life WILL be longer if ran in for a tank or so.

I snagged one while I could. I absolutely love the XPW, if I were only able to keep one saw- that would probably be the one. I dont have much time on mine, but it gets better and better as I use it.
If I had to replace it, and couldnt find another, I would grab an XT as I know they are fine saws as well.

Hmmm? Bailey's still shows them?

Ive never been around a modded saw. Are the tree huggers gonna run me out of the woods when it comes time to do a muffler mod to mine? I mean, is it obnoxiously loud?

Louder, but not enough so that any difference will be noted by the haters at a distance.

Most are still quieter than an old Stock Mac 10-10 LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I love my 372xpw. Its stock and in my own opinion the best stock saw out there, I wish they still made them. This is a pic when I first got it.

attachment.php

Hippies.

When it became socially unaccptable to curb stomp 'em, shave thier heads and put a flea collar on them, they bred, and voted.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I just completely lost it, the missus came in and whilst in hysterics I pointed to your post, then she lost it. Much fun was had...

We both hate hippies. On a side note we were on a holiday the other year and decided to go on a cave tour. We were lucky enough to share the tight confines of the cave with two hippies. They stank the whole cave out with rancid body odour. It was delightful...not...

Great saw once you ditch the wrap handle. I have a stock 372xpw, a Univent (ported saw by Unifire) and I might have one just kicking around in a box somewhere (just in case). Very fast, very powerful and very easy to like. Keep the chain sharp and the saw will do the rest.

The "break in" is definately overrated! But I have built enough engines (just no saws) to know that it is best to properly run the rings into a fresh hone job. It may not be a rule nor is it going to ruin the engine. But ring life WILL be longer if ran in for a tank or so.

I've built engines from saws to dirt bikes to Big Block Chevy's. The only engines I have ever seated the rings in are 4 stroke car and truck engines... And those I break in how I drive them... hard and fast. If you want a dog... then break it in slow...

Not saying you're wrong. You can do it how you see fit... :) I'll keep being stubborn and do it my way. Once I have a failure, maybe I'll change. But I've been building engines for over 25 years. So I think I'm doin' OK... :)

Gary

Ive built several v8 engines. I have always followed the cam manufacturers recommendations on breaking in the cams and cam bearings. By the time those are ran in I always figured the rings were to! I knew I was opening pandoras box here! As far as drag engines go. I don't see very many high mileage drag motors? I am talking about an engine that will last with normal use.

Ive built several v8 engines. I have always followed the cam manufacturers recommendations on breaking in the cams and cam bearings. By the time those are ran in I always figured the rings were to! I knew I was opening pandoras box here! As far as drag engines go. I don't see very many high mileage drag motors? I am talking about an engine that will last with normal use.

Can o' worms! Can o' worms! :laugh:

Just funnin'...

Cams didn't need to be broke in that way until all the ZDDP went out of the oil about 6 years ago. Ask me how i know. 2 cam failures in as many years... come to find out the flat tappets were failing due to the lack of zinc and phosferous (sp) in the oil. Good times...

Now we have to do the 2,000 rpm break in thing for 20 to 30 minutes on any flat tappet cam. Totally sucks... but necessary.

I have a sreet/strip motor in my pro street truck that sees a lot of street time... so... they can be built to last my friend. :)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YXQ6yO7BxT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Talk about a hijack!

Gary

Can o' worms! Can o' worms! :laugh:

Just funnin'...

Cams didn't need to be broke in that way until all the ZDDP went out of the oil about 6 years ago. Ask me how i know. 2 cam failures in as many years... come to find out the flat tappets were failing due to the lack of zinc and phosferous (sp) in the oil. Good times...

Now we have to do the 2,000 rpm break in thing for 20 to 30 minutes on any flat tappet cam. Totally sucks... but necessary.

I have a sreet/strip motor in my pro street truck that sees a lot of street time... so... they can be built to last my friend. :)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YXQ6yO7BxT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Talk about a hijack!

Gary

Thats one Hell of a chain saw!!!! LOL I love the sound of a good "snotty" cam!! Hijack away! I can't wait till my kids free up some of my money to build another car. Its all fun here. Everyone has different thoughts on different aspects of an engine.

372xpw

I had a chance to buy a 372 last year rebuilt by a dealer/shop.

they went through everything.....

I don't need it, just a bad case of CAD at the time...

Now I don't know what to do with it....

I have done alot of reading using the search function. I have only seen one picture of a muffler mod? And it was the one that everyone blew a nut about because the guy was a tool. I know there must be 100's of pics. Ok, smack the piss out of me! I just need to do some more searching.

Back