372xp 576xp or 390xp with 28 inch bar????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climber338

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys. Just looking for some some opinions. Im someone who really likes to use smaller saws. I figure a good sized bar for some of the removals that im doing now would be around 28 inches. Would the 372xp be to small and if it is then should i go with the 576xp or should i just go for the 390xp? Im also looking for something that i can take into the tree to make a larger cut if i need to. Thanks

I have owned a 576xp Autotune for just over a year now. I use both a 20" and 24" bar. I typically use the saw to buck firewood. It has been a great saw so far without issue. Hard telling what it can/could do with a 28" but I can say it performs very well in Oak/maple with a 24". The anti-vibe on this saw is very impressive and although not light rather well balanced with 20-24" bars.

Would not like to climb to much with any of the saws. But thats just me. I do not like to get more than one foot over ground. You might get a qualified answer on that one.
What kind of wood do you normally cut? Soft or hard? The 372 will pull the 28 inch fine in soft wood. And for occasional work also in the harder stuff.
Taking into consideration that you prefer nimble saws I would go with the 372 or the 576. 390xp will most likely be overkill with a 28 bar. Especially for pulling a 28 inch bar once a year full buried in an oak or ash.

Motorsen

Im usually in oak and maples for the most part. I try to drop the trunk as high as i can but yesterday i had to chunk the tree down to around 40 inches so a larger saw would have been nice (bad back lean towards a house) . Its not going to be a "climbing saw" but i do want something that can pull a 28" chain in oak and still be able to drop something larger while in the tree.

28" is pushing it with a 372. It will be a bit weak in the cut compared to the rest. It all depends on how much cutting you are doing. Might want to look at a Dolmar 7900 with the 28", which is about the same weight as a 372 with a bit more power. I run a 28" on my 395xp and it is an animal with that bar on it.

I run a 28" on my Simonized 372 and in hard wood, Oak Beech and Ash, it pulls like a train. On large take downs I reckon a ported 70cc ish saw has to be a good tool to have in the box.

576 has more torque than the 372. A 390 will be stronger than both but weigh a lb more than a 576 and 2 lbs more than the 372. If porting is considered a 372 will be big enough. Stock I would chooose between the 576 and 390. Check out the 441 cm thread with videos of a stock 576 autotune running a 28" bar.

Last edited:
I run a 28” bar on my univent (ported 372xpw 75cc by Unifire) and on my 7900. The vent runs very close to the 7900 but is still a pinch behind. No replacement for displacement. My 395xp(s) run 32” and 36” bars. Very strong old skool saws but they are like a cinderblock with a handle. I have not run a 576 autotune or a new strato 372 but I would think both would be happier with 24” bars. The 390 might be the way to go but I will be a heavier saw.

IMHO, if it were me, I would go with the 576 Autotune in a heartbeat. Those things are awesome from what i gather. They automatically adjust to their environs. You do not have to tune it! However, if i werent to to choose the 576AT, then I would do as Brad suggested and have a ported 372.

I've also been running a 576xpAT for over a year, usually with a 22" bar. The saw is very impressive, and I would have no second thoughts about putting a 28" bar on her.

It is one awesome saw!

For your line of work you need power in a lightweight package, the 7900 is hard to beat in power to weight. If you what to stick with Husky, I guess I'd lean in the direction of the 576-AT or a modded 372. The 390 is a stronger saw, but that's a lot of saw to deal with up in a tree..

Have you got a dealer that stocks all of them so you can handle them? From what I remember the 390 and 576 are within a lb with half wraps dry. I guess what i'm saying is go handle all of them and see what you think will be the most comfortable. They will gain about 3-3.5 lbs with fluids also. The 390 and 576 won't be nose heavy with a 28" unless its a cannon bar.

I'm about 40 miles west of you in Berkshire County 24 inch bar handles anything we cut over here. I own a couple of 7900, 4 372, and I just bought a 576 Auto Tune. If your not going to use the saw hard the 7900 is going to have the most power. For a saw that will just run and run with no problems the 372 non strato is headache free. I have only used the 576 A/T for a week and it is the smoothest saw I have ever run but the test of time will see how she holds up. I have run all 3 with 24 inch bar full skip chain and they worked fine.

I have a 372XPW ported by Brad. That saw is unbelievable. I run it normally with a 32"RW Oregon bar and a sharp chain. Balances nice. I run Stihl skip on it and never looked back. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's that good.

Latest posts

Back