372xp decompression valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchy85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently purchased Husky 372xp. Seems like a good a saw, in good shape, and runs good. After running for awhile this evening I noticed some splatters on top of the clutch cover. The area around the decompression valve was wet. After I let the saw sit for awhile there was a small puddle there. What is this from and what is wrong with it? Thank you.

Are the splatters fuel, bar oil or something else? That would be a clue to work with.

I recently purchased Husky 372xp. Seems like a good a saw, in good shape, and runs good. After running for awhile this evening I noticed some splatters on top of the clutch cover. The area around the decompression valve was wet. After I let the saw sit for awhile there was a small puddle there. What is this from and what is wrong with it? Thank you.

Check to make sure the de-comp valve is tight. And check your compression. The De-comp valve might just be loose, If it is not sealing after your saw fires it will score the piston and cylinder in time.

Check to make sure the de-comp valve is tight. And check your compression. The De-comp valve might just be loose, If it is not sealing after your saw fires it will score the piston and cylinder in time.

:agree2: And it also might ruin the decomp threads in the cylinder if it gets very loose. The wet residue you see is probably oil. Are you running alot of oil in your premix?

:agree2: And it also might ruin the decomp threads in the cylinder if it gets very loose. The wet residue you see is probably oil. Are you running alot of oil in your premix?

I don't know if its loose or not, I will try and tighten it tomorrow. I was running 40:1 but, dad said to run 50:1 so I did. The saw did seem to run better with 50:1 in it.

Can I take the decomp. valve out? Because, I don't use it anyway. How would I cap the hole?

There are plugs available to block off the port/hole. Is it fuel? mix oil? What does it smell like? Sure it is coming from the decomp? Sometimes just lightly pulling on the decomp while spinning it will reseat the valve and problems are gone. You would most likely hear it hissing if it was leaking and you compression would be low.

I didn't think to smell it. It's not hissing or anything. The compression seems to be good.

I wouldnt dream of taking a comp release out of a saw that came equipt with one even little saws, it takes the strain off the starter assy ymmv.

Replace it if its bad is what I would do simple as that, you can spray some soapy water on and run it you will know.

Kansas

Make sure it's tight and the valve is seated. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it. You probably flooded the saw a few times and it's just a bit of unburnt fuel with a some of carbon in it.

Latest posts

Back