372xp or 562xpat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
576 vs 372 both great saws they just do the same job differently, its not until you have had both in your hands that you will notice a difference and decide which route to go.

From a 455 to the TRIPLE NICKEL (aka 555...officially from now on it will be reffered to as the TRIPLE NICKEL!) is a huge jump but mas bar stock 20", then jump to the 562 will wear what you want ti to but doesn't have the balls for the longer ones.

What they hell are you cutting that you need a 28" bar?.......last time I checked there werent alot of 4' diameter trees left out there.

Spent a bit more time cutting and develop a lil finesse............

You have to ask yourself & be honest just how many times you'll really require a 28" bar, just my 2 cents.

I've dropped red oaks the size your talking about & larger with a 24" bar on my 365sp with no issues to feed my wood stove.

After borrowing a 562xpat demo saw from my local saw shop I'm 562xpat all the way.
This 562xpat kicks my 365sp out of the park.
The power & speed to weight ratio is amazing on the 562. :rock:

Talk with your local shop and see if they can provide you with a demo or loaner of each saw & run some tanks of gas.

You'll know right away what saw is best for you.

Good Luck & let us know what you decide. :)

576 vs 372 both great saws they just do the same job differently, its not until you have had both in your hands that you will notice a difference and decide which route to go.

From a 455 to the TRIPLE NICKEL (aka 555...officially from now on it will be reffered to as the TRIPLE NICKEL!) is a huge jump but mas bar stock 20", then jump to the 562 will wear what you want ti to but doesn't have the balls for the longer ones.

What they hell are you cutting that you need a 28" bar?.......last time I checked there werent alot of 4' diameter trees left out there.

Spent a bit more time cutting and develop a lil finesse............

From my original post.

the size of wood I'm cutting and likely have access to cutting for the next few years. Mostly red oak about 25-35" DBH dead standing and down.

Looks like I'll have to see if I can get a loaner of at least the one or both to make a final decision.

The high top filter isn't needed.. I converted one of my old flat top 365's to a high top with the HD filter after I had already put a ported 372 piston and cylinder on it... didn't notice a bit of difference... likewise, the heated handle version of the 365/372 only comes with the low pro filter and flat top cover. the HD filter is not needed and the std filter is still light years ahead of any stihl HD filter setup. you will rarely have toclean it.

The divider plates are simple... there are two side covers on the side of the cylinder... four security torx screws and the cover is off. the divider is cast into the aluminum cover. a dremel or die grinder will knock them down in no time. there are a couple video on you tube and plenty of pictures here. just search X torq. I would buy a new 365 X torq in a heart beat over the more ($150-200 difference) 372. you don't have to disassemble the engine or anything to do the diver port modification and you'll have a 372... this is the route I would go... run a 20" bar and have a 28" on hand for the bigger rounds.

Now this is extremely helpful and thank you. I'll look for the videos and photos. My concern was that I saw one video and he had the cylinder off the saw. Like I said I'm handy and don't have a problem working on most things. But, to take a brand new saw and modify it which would probably void he warranty is something I wouldn't feel comfortable doing if I have to take the engine apart.

Take off covers, cut off dividers level and polish and reassemble is something I can do.

I got a really good quote today on the 365XT and really feel like this is the way I will probably go now looking at all the great information you guys have given me.

I wish I could get away with the 562XPat but I know I'll be running the longer bar often enough that I'll want the larger saw. It's a shame because that thing is "sexy". LOL

Last edited:
From my original post.

the size of wood I'm cutting and likely have access to cutting for the next few years. Mostly red oak about 25-35" DBH dead standing and down.

Looks like I'll have to see if I can get a loaner of at least the one or both to make a final decision.

18-20" bar will get the job done easily.

Now this is extremely helpful and thank you. I'll look for the videos and photos. My concern was that I saw one video and he had the cylinder off the saw. Like I said I'm handy and don't have a problem working on most things. But, to take a brand new saw and modify it which would probably void he warranty is something I wouldn't feel comfortable doing if I have to take the engine apart.

Take off covers, cut off dividers level and polish and reassemble is something I can do.

I got a really good quote today on the 365XT and really feel like this is the way I will probably go now looking at all the great information you guys have given me.

I wish I could get away with the 562XPat but I know I'll be running the longer bar often enough that I'll want the larger saw. It's a shame because that thing is "sexy". LOL

You are more than welcome. I really thought from your initial post the 365xt was the saw for you.

18-20" bar will get the job done easily.

I'll be the one to disagree, especially with that 'Easy part'. Dropping the 30-36" tree with a 20" bar is a chore for a novice. And very unsafe IMO if they aren't experienced in the proper technique. Once that 36" tree is on the ground, bucking it up with a 20" bar sucks. You can't always cut from both sides depending on where branches an crotches. If I'm cuttting a bunch of 30-36" trees I prefer to have a 28" bar. Plenty of big oaks around my parts to justify the cost of the bar, actually seems that's the norm that I'm running into these days

25" trees and down a 20" would be ok. 30" or bigger isn't any fun with a 20" bar bucking unless it's flat ground. I would plan on a 28" for whichever saw you pick.

Think of it this way... The 562xp is like a Caddy suv... Nice and comfy ride and pretty fast for what it is..

Now the 365/372 is like an SVT lightning/raptor. Menacing looks, Awesome power and just as fast, but it has the versatility (of the bed) to do more for you. The 365/372 will run a longer bar just fine. And do it considerably better, but the 562 has a more comfy ride...

Think of it this way... The 562xp is like a Caddy suv... Nice and comfy ride and pretty fast for what it is..

Now the 365/372 is like an SVT lightning/raptor. Menacing looks, Awesome power and just as fast, but it has the versatility (of the bed) to do more for you. The 365/372 will run a longer bar just fine. And do it considerably better, but the 562 has a more comfy ride...

That comparison sucks, I have a 262xp that will blow the doors off of a 365 and my best friend just bought a 562xp that is faster and stronger than my 262 in every way, if anything the 562 is the high performance sports car with the sexy looks and the 372 is the old school muscle car and I think there should of been a period in this post somewhere besides here.

a well ported 562xp is a thing a beauty to behold. but a ported 372 it will not make. i run my ported 562xp a lot in trees 16-18'' dbh and smaller but when im consistantly over the 18'' dbh its 372 all the way with 24'' bar. i can drop limb and top anything in my neck of the woods woth a 24'' bar. on the landing i run a 20'' bar.

a well ported 562xp is a thing a beauty to behold. but a ported 372 it will not make. i run my ported 562xp a lot in trees 16-18'' dbh and smaller but when im consistantly over the 18'' dbh its 372 all the way with 24'' bar. i can drop limb and top anything in my neck of the woods woth a 24'' bar. on the landing i run a 20'' bar.

When a real expert speaks, novices should pay attention.

Trouble is, even (especially) the experts disagree often.

I'm no expert, but I'd take a 50cc/70cc combo any day over two of the very best 60cc saws.

If you're cutting big hardwood regularly, you're living in 70cc-class territory.

Don't overlook the jonsered 2166/2172.

It's funny that this thread should come up bc I am going back and forth on a 562xpw like Wills and a 365xt. Price difference isn't enough to sway me either way. On the one hand, I like the autotune idea and the lighter weight of the 562. The 365 is appealing as a beater saw (I could see myself working it harder than my new 2171 Mastermind built me). 365 would be easier to replace than the 2171. Arguement could be made that the 365 is too close to my 2171 in size and shape and that the 562 would be more nimble. If the 562 couldnt cut it, I have the 2171, 288, and the 2095 that I could go to. Anxious to buy another saw but kinda lost in the decision. :msp_unsure:

Decision Made-Saw put to wood-My Analysis

So I called around yesterday a little in the A.M. and then decided to take my 455 Rancher to one of the local dealers who had fixed my Husky line trimmer. Their quote was about 30$ higher than a dealer about 30 minutes further but I figure I'd go talk to them and see what we could work out. Showed them my saw, they looked at and made offer in the fair range. They tried to convince me that the 562XP would out cut the 365 and the 372xp. I considered it but they weren't willing to deal a little on price and I understand that because it is the "now" technology and they don't have to deal. In the end here's where I ended up with all this.

Bought the 365 X-torq with 24" bar w/ full chisel full skip chain for $630 OTD - very happy about this - felt like more than a fair deal
feel like I saved about $235 over the 372XP with the quotes I had gotten :msp_w00t:

Decided to go with the 24" bar and chain to start out with for 2 reasons.

1. The 28" combo was about 50$ more and I was trying to stay in the "value" buying area I felt good with.
2. from 20"-28 with a much more robust saw is a larger jump handling wise for my experience level and felt like it was a wiser move to give myself time to acclimate to more power and learn how to use that effectively. Also though it might be an easier day to day combo instead of showing up at every cutting with a 28" bar for a 14" tree. LOL

Will probably get a 20" bar also for when in smaller wood.

455 Rancher was traded it for $250. Initially they said 240 but got them to come up $10. May have gotten more on CG but at that point I only paid $300 for it new and got great use and learning with it. Fair price I felt and I didn't have to hassle with selling it after the fact. :msp_thumbup:

Full Comp Semi Chisel chain 24" $21.00

Ordered outer saw dog also, will be in next week. it was cheap- cant remember price.

Got 2 different style chains to try them both out to see which I liked better on it

Free files, scabbord and about 1 1/2 hours of counsel on the saws, differences, pricing, chain sharpening, and operation with no pressure - Priceless!

Kevin who waited on me was helpful, non rushing, non pushy and was a wood cutter himself for family heat needs. Could I have gotten a better deal, maybe, but the experienced advice and good buying experience was well worth a few dollars and I'm not sure they were even available because I feel it was a competitive deal. I try to be happy with a fair deal for everyone and not beat the last 10$ out of someone.

Now for my take on the saw.

Completely awesome!:chainsaw:

Used the full chisel full skip as what I had to buck yesterday afternoon was what was left of a large oak trunk. This saw and chain combo ate it up. In about 1/4 to 1/5 the time it was taking with my 455 Rancher. That was pretty much my whole goal, not to take forever in the bigger wood and I got my wish.

Was impressed with how quickly it went through large trunk and pulled itself right through.

I have a few smaller trees that the large one took out that I had to cut as well and it seemed to rev unless I gave it full throttle through those also. I'm thinking this might be the 4 stroking I was hearing about because when I went full throttle on it and pushed it in it stopped and ate through the wood like a hungry fat kid. LOL sorry about that. My sensor filter slipped.

With the 455 Rancher I had just planned on cutting the trunk and loading what I could of that before dark when I went back out to it. With the 365 I was able to cut up the trunk, cut up the downed pieces of the other trees it killed, fell the 10' sections left of the other trees and buck them out and still would have time to cut more and get it loaded.

Extremely happy with the saw and I haven't even modded it yet.

Cons:

Only one I can see is weight. I new it would be heavier and am strong enough to handle it but would be happier if it was lighter. I guess this is where the two saw plan comes in with the lighter 40-50cc saw for limbing/cutting anything below 12-14".

Any way to slim down this chubby girl? Where is the xtra weight the 372XP got rid of? I doubt the air restrictors that will be cut off will make up the .6lb difference. Just seeing if there's a way to trim it down.

Wife was okay with this but it part of my xmas Present. I'm fine with that. Then she says it's the last of my chainsaw purchases. God I love her sense of humor:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks again for all of the great advice that got me to this decision, saved me a bunch of $$ and got me a saw I needed/wanted.

Congratulations if you made it this far:cheers::yourock:

Last edited:
Bought the 365 X-torq with 24" bar w/ full chisel full skip chain for $630 OTD - very happy about this - felt like more than a fair deal
feel like I saved about $235 over the 372XP with the quotes I had gotten :msp_w00t:

Cons:

Any way to slim down this chubby girl? Where is the xtra weight the 372XP got rid of? I doubt the air restrictors that will be cut off will make up the .6lb difference. Just seeing if there's a way to trim it down.
Ya did good, fine saw! But you would have been equally impressed, or more so with the 562xp. ;)

The 365 XTorqe weights No More than a 372xp XTorqe. Despite what the specs say. If anything, the 372 weighs more...

Ya did good, fine saw! But you would have been equally impressed, or more so with the 562xp. ;)

The 365 XTorqe weights No More than a 372xp XTorqe. Despite what the specs say. If anything, the 372 weighs more...

Maybe they fattened it up in the specs to not cannibalize the 372XP. I noticed on their site the 365 specs are pretty much non existent and most of them in metric so that most of the US market can't make sense of them.

Now for my take on the saw.

Completely awesome!

Used the full chisel full skip as what I had to buck yesterday afternoon was what was left of a large oak trunk. This saw and chain combo ate it up. In about 1/4 to 1/5 the time it was taking with my 455 Rancher. That was pretty much my whole goal, not to take forever in the bigger wood and I got my wish.

...<snip>...

Extremely happy with the saw and I haven't even modded it yet.

Cons:

Only one I can see is weight. I new it would be heavier and am strong enough to handle it but would be happier if it was lighter. I guess this is where the two saw plan comes in with the lighter 40-50cc saw for limbing/cutting anything below 12-14".

Sounds like you bought the right saw for the right reasons. Can't argue with happy. 14 lbs. is fine for a 70cc saw. Like you say, need a two saw plan, though, for all kinds of reasons.

BigDaddy,
What dealer did you buy from? I was ready to recommend Eastern Truck because of how well they have treated me w/ the last 2 purchases. Sounds like ya got a winner of a deal (and saw)! Congrats.

Back