372xp or 562xpat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigDaddy,
What dealer did you buy from? I was ready to recommend Eastern Truck because of how well they have treated me w/ the last 2 purchases. Sounds like ya got a winner of a deal (and saw)! Congrats.

Hello fellow semi-local!

Bought my saw from Littlestown Ace Hardware. They had a good selection considering how late in the season it is and you read the deal I worked out. I was hoping a local site sponsor might pipe up but no one did so didn't think we had any local.

No regrets on my deal at all and service was great

:rock: Congratulations on you new saw.

just my 2 cents here, if you don't have them then go buy a pair of chaps & include them as a part of the xmas present.

Amazon.com: Husqvarna 531309565 Chain Saw Apron Chaps, Navy: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I can't stress how important it is to wear safety gear.

Thanks!

I have them, that exact pair, and wear them when I cut. Almost a requirement from the farm owner that I got permission from. Got them the beginning of this year. Wear the helmet with ear protection, face sheild as well as safety glasses. Was going to try to post a video of my first cut with it but couldn't get it small enough to post here yet.

Tell you what, I'm hot blooded by nature and sweat my axx off in all this safety gear but won't skip wearing it. Don't want a bad accident and don't want my son to see a bad example. I drink a lot of Gateraide and such and water to compensate for it.

That comparison sucks, I have a 262xp that will blow the doors off of a 365 and my best friend just bought a 562xp that is faster and stronger than my 262 in every way, if anything the 562 is the high performance sports car with the sexy looks and the 372 is the old school muscle car and I think there should of been a period in this post somewhere besides here.

No way. Unless it was a first gen open port 365 or it only had 100lbs of compression. A stock closed port old style will hang right beside a 372 in wood up to 23-24". After that the 372 takes over. I've never ran any 261/262 that would hold a candle to a 372. The new 365's are even stronger.

No way. Unless it was a first gen open port 365 or it only had 100lbs of compression. A stock closed port old style will hang right beside a 372 in wood up to 23-24". After that the 372 takes over. I've never ran any 261/262 that would hold a candle to a 372. The new 365's are even stronger.

I guess I will agree to disagree, I ran a 365 before settling on my 262 as a friend locally was selling some of his older saws. I found my 262 to be superrior in every way to the 365 he also had for sale. But you saying a 562 is strong enough for what it is. I have never been as impressed with a saw as I was with my best friends 562xp

Hello fellow semi-local!

Bought my saw from Littlestown Ace Hardware.

Holy ****, that is local!! Did you try Eastern Truck(just curious)? I thought that was the best place to deal w/ but maybe I was wrong. They threw in stuff to sweeten the deal for me (beanie, file guide kit and a discount on a 2nd chain after coming down on sticker).

Kinda funny that a PA guy went to MD for a saw and the MD guy came to PA for his. :hmm3grin2orange:

BigDaddyR, I think you did great..... both on the trade in value (I'm honestly surprised), and the new saw. I think the 365xt often gets overlooked because it has such great saws all around it. It is definitely a stealth bargain though, as you are finding out. Great to see someone so happy with their purchase (any brand, any saw). I know your wife says you are all done buying saws..... but what you need to do is convey to her that what you are actually purchasing is the hours of your life back (by having the right tools to make the job easier). More time to spend with her, the family, or doing the bathroom remodel she has been wanting ( :D ). As you can see, you will soon need a small saw like the 346 or 550. One thing I'll suggest, is something I do to help subsidize the tool expenses. Get yourself ahead enough to sell a cord of wood or two per year. Seems there is always a relative or friend of a friend that finds my number every year. I'm not talking about becoming a firewood dealer..... just a half cord, or cord here or there to someone you know with some cash in their hand.

Holy ****, that is local!! Did you try Eastern Truck(just curious)?

No, didn't try Eastern Truck. Figured I'd call some places I knew where they were and in the case of Ace's someone I'd done business with before. Pays to have a relationship sometimes. I'll have to add Eastern Truck into the mix for future purchase just to compare.

BigDaddyR, I think you did great..... both on the trade in value (I'm honestly surprised), and the new saw. I think the 365xt often gets overlooked because it has such great saws all around it. It is definitely a stealth bargain though, as you are finding out. Great to see someone so happy with their purchase (any brand, any saw). I know your wife says you are all done buying saws..... but what you need to do is convey to her that what you are actually purchasing is the hours of your life back (by having the right tools to make the job easier). More time to spend with her, the family, or doing the bathroom remodel she has been wanting ( :D ). As you can see, you will soon need a small saw like the 346 or 550. One thing I'll suggest, is something I do to help subsidize the tool expenses. Get yourself ahead enough to sell a cord of wood or two per year. Seems there is always a relative or friend of a friend that finds my number every year. I'm not talking about becoming a firewood dealer..... just a half cord, or cord here or there to someone you know with some cash in their hand.

I can seriously see getting a lot more done a lot faster with this saw as you said and that's a valid point.

Also another valid point. I have a guy at work who is all the time bugging me to buy a chord or truck load or two of the red oak I get. Hmmm maybe nows the time. Like you said I would not plan to be a firewood dealer because without different tools like a firewood processor I think it would be hard to justify the time/profit ratio but selling a few a year while I'm already at it makes sense. Especially since I need a splitter and at least one more saw.

Guy I bought mine from says the 346 is going away and the 550 is the replacement for it. Would like to get one of the 346's before they're all gone.

I can seriously see getting a lot more done a lot faster with this saw as you said and that's a valid point.

Also another valid point. I have a guy at work who is all the time bugging me to buy a chord or truck load or two of the red oak I get. Hmmm maybe nows the time. Like you said I would not plan to be a firewood dealer because without different tools like a firewood processor I think it would be hard to justify the time/profit ratio but selling a few a year while I'm already at it makes sense. Especially since I need a splitter and at least one more saw.

Guy I bought mine from says the 346 is going away and the 550 is the replacement for it. Would like to get one of the 346's before they're all gone.
sounds like a great deal,also sounds like a plan for xtra cash. Might an old married man suggest taking the first part of your new income and taking your bride to eat. I have found a little leverage for getting a splitter ,(346xp) and other equipment essential for having more time with her:hmm3grin2orange: jmho

Yep, the 346s on the shelves are all that is left. I just sold my 455 Rancher and my 346 to buy a new 550. Both of them served me well and I'm confident I'll be 110% happy with my new 550 as well...... it really rips !

2012-12-1513_07_31_zpsce94b683.jpg

Yep, the 346s on the shelves are all that is left. I just sold my 455 Rancher and my 346 to buy a new 550. Both of them served me well and I'm confident I'll be 110% happy with my new 550 as well...... it really rips !

Just out of curiosity what did the 346 go for? Also I heard that there were some issues with the 550 AutoTune carbs. Was wondering if it was urban legend or not. Sounds like yours is fine. And kinda sexy too. LOL

Last edited:
sounds like a great deal,also sounds like a plan for xtra cash. Might an old married man suggest taking the first part of your new income and taking your bride to eat. I have found a little leverage for getting a splitter ,(346xp) and other equipment essential for having more time with her:hmm3grin2orange: jmho

Good idea which I have found works well. The Butter concept. Butter her up with a nice dinner and drinks, then, Oh by the way... LOL

The splitter she would be good with, the extra chainsaw or chainsaws for some reason she just can't understand

Last edited:
Good idea which I have found works well. The Butter concept. Butter her up with a nice dinner and drinks, then, Oh by the way... LOL

The splitter she would be good with, the extra chainsaw or chainsaws for some reason she just can't understand

If she likes cooking, then ask her what it would be like to cook eggs all the time in a big stock pot?

If she likes shoes, ask her what it would be like to walk everywhere in high heels?

If she likes jewelry, ask her what it would be like to wear one huge pair of hoop earrings everywhere?

New saw CONGRATS!!!

Thanks for coming back and posting about your purchase! And the pic is a great bonus.

An 18" bar on that saw will make it a lot more 'nimble' for when you need that, and somewhat easier to 'sell' to the wife unit.

If she likes cooking, then ask her what it would be like to cook eggs all the time in a big stock pot?

If she likes shoes, ask her what it would be like to walk everywhere in high heels?

If she likes jewelry, ask her what it would be like to wear one huge pair of hoop earrings everywhere?

Another good reason to have joined this forum. Justification techniques to get the tools I need and the tools I "need".

I did this to get her to understand why I needed a bigger saw in the 1st place. I reminded her that recently I had picked out the perfect new washer for us. It was consumer reports top pick, in the budget, high efficiency, etc. Went to show it to her and she says, "It's not big enough". It's twice the size of what we have now. "If I'm getting a washer then it needs to be bigger." Okay, called my friend and H&H Gregg and he got me a deal on a larger size that kept her happy.

I reminded her of this. Remember all the time and energy/water we save by having the larger washer. It's the same for my saw. Better more powerful saw. Done quicker, less fatigued-safer and in less time. Then her light went on.

Only difference is I need multiple washers:chainsawguy::msp_lol:

New saw CONGRATS!!!

Thanks for coming back and posting about your purchase! And the pic is a great bonus.

An 18" bar on that saw will make it a lot more 'nimble' for when you need that, and somewhat easier to 'sell' to the wife unit.

Yeah. LOL when she saw the new 365 with the 24" bar on it she was like, "Oh my God, how long is that!" It was priceless. All I could do was stand there and :hmm3grin2orange:

Question about the bar length on these saws. I never measured the one on my 455 rancher but a friend told me it really ends up being an 18" because it's the homeowner version and you loose 2" to the mounting on it but with the pro versions or upper versions of the saws they really were the true length. ie. a 24" is a 24" not a 22" etc.

Just wondering.

The 455 uses the same bar mount as say the 357xp, which is not a homeowner saw. A 20'' bar is a 20'' on both of those. Maybe your friend is thinking of smaller saws that use a 3/8 low profile chain?

Almost all saws lose and inch or two of bar length due to spikes and the center line of the crank to the front of the case. I know most huskies will lose more bar length than a stihl.

Congrats on the new saw!

Get a laminate bar for it, no sense being nose heavy!

Back