372xp or ms441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi guys, I'm pretty new at this so I have a few questions. I have a chance to buy a brand new 372xp with a 24" bar and 2 chisle chains for $675.00 out the door. or i was thinking about getting a new stihl ms441. what do you guys think is the better saw? how will the 372 compair to the 441? witch one is more reliable? what is the better saw? any other information you guys can give me would be greatly apericated. thank you

lol Mr Wojo. Nice try. You just stirred a hornets nest. Get the MS441, much better saw in quality of construction. :spam:

372xp.

you will be sorry if you dont, better 6 ways from sunday. great price on that saw too.

I would pick the 441 as I like a bit more torque.

It is hard to beat the price on the 372xp but the one I've ran couldn't keep up with my 441 stock. Granted it was a little easier on the arms and the pocket book. Both are awfully smooth.

20"-24" bar get the 372xp. 25"-28" I'd get the 441.

The 372xp has a longer track record the 441 is still fairly new. The 372xp is cheaper than the 441. The 441 is more fuel efficient and has 5.5hp. the 372xp can be modded easily the 441 not so easily they are close in weight. They both are good choices. The 372xp comes in two flavours a 72cc 5.3hp and a 75cc 5.4hp version. I would pick the best dealer support in your area be it husqvarna or Stihl.

lol Mr Wojo. Nice try. You just stirred a hornets nest. Get the MS441, much better saw in quality of construction. :spam:

Again I ask, what does "better quality in construction" mean??? Either state whats better about the 441 or dont, this generic statement means nothing.

Just because the 441 costs more doesnt mean you Stihl have to justify the premium you paid by saying "its just better quality"

Dollar for dollar the 372 wins IMO. It has a much better track record and a better power to weight ratio. The 441 will cost you $75-$100 more I bet and you get nothing for your money except to say "I own a Stihl"

LOL, anyway, Hijack here.

Haven't posted about my new 372xpw, since I bought it new last month. I milled and ported it, and ran it all this past week falling over on the N. Ca coast.
I was pretty dang impressed with the weight to power ratio, pull and 8 tooth and 32" with ease. I can bury the dawgs and bar and it just keeps going and going.
Despite being the 75cc version it don't think it will touch my 460s, but for being lighter, who cares.

Last edited:
Again I ask, what does "better quality in construction" mean??? Either state whats better about the 441 or dont, this generic statement means nothing.

Just because the 441 costs more doesnt mean you Stihl have to justify the premium you paid by saying "its just better quality"

Dollar for dollar the 372 wins IMO. It has a much better track record and a better power to weight ratio. The 441 will cost you $75-$100 more I bet and you get nothing for your money except to say "I own a Stihl"

Well, over here the 441 is a lot cheaper than the 372xp, but I still wanted the 372 - track record, weight and bulk made the choise real easy.......

:cheers:

Not to drag this thread off topic but...

How long has the 441 been available? 2 years? 3?

No major complaints that I've heard of and I suspect a few have been used pretty rough and still keep on kicking.

How long does a saw need to be sold before people consider it a viable option?

I suspect most models of any manufacturer are lucky to go more than 5 years without some modification and only a few are lucky to keep on the shelves for more than 10 years in relatively the same form they were born.

Granted, the test of time is wonderful, but at the same time unfortunate. Some very nice saws have and will be retired as a new generation springs up. That is the way of life.

Seeing your being picky... the 372 has longer track record, not better.

Wojo, if you are being serious, go try both. And try using search... ;)

Last edited:

I was able to use my brothers 441 for a very short time and liked it but I dont know anyone with a 372xp. thats why I was trying to compair the two. cause at $675.00 out the door it seems like a good price. but its also a lot of money to spend if I'm not satisified with it.

Maybe I missed it; How much for the 441?

I quoted both a year ago and the price was exactly the same, so I went with the 441.

Easy on the hands
Will pull a 32" skip in hardwoods (and probably a full comp)
Great filtration
Light enough to limb with
Sips Fuel

Maybe all the above can be said about the 372. I just don't have any experience with that saw.

my roommate has been running a 440 an a 441 all day building log homes for just over a year now. he just bought a 372xpw a couple weeks ago and he likes it way more than the 440 and 441. he actualy likes the 440 more then the 441.

LOL I like how track record means so much to Stihl owners when talking about the obsolete 260, but when it refers to a new Stihl model then a documented track record is not very impressive.

I guess I am just ornery today but I get irritated when I see the same baseless statements thrown around over and over again just for the sake of saying something.

I need to get outside

my roommate has been running a 440 an a 441 all day building log homes for just over a year now. he just bought a 372xpw a couple weeks ago and he likes it way more than the 440 and 441. he actualy likes the 440 more then the 441.

No surprices there!!! :)

As I have recently posted a small excavation company, run by friends of ours from south central Indiana, recently quit using 372's because they rattle apart. They are hard on equipment, but maintain them well. Some of the other problems they mentioned were broken a/v mounts and failed oil pumps. They now use some leftover 044's, 440's and 441's.

Personally, I greatly prefer the 441 if for no other reason than the difference in torque. I've used a few 372's and they cut great, fast and are smooth....just gutless for torque. And this was with a 20" bar. I can't imagine full comp on a 28" bar in oak.:censored:

Latest posts

Back