372XP Rebuild and mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Just got this, bid on it from a local online government auction, all I had to go by was a few pics, which I can't find anymore! LOL, anyway, it was taken apart somewhat, just the cylinder and covers off, looked to be mostly complete and in very good cosmetic condition, appears to have little use, however it ate a piston somehow, big chunk out of it, surprising the cylinder is ok, only some very light alu transfer on it, will clean up just fine. But the bottom end ate all the bits and its in the bearings and what-not. The crank big end appears to be a little sloppy too, so that'll have to go, I have a new aftermarket crank here I'll try out, I paid a little more then I normally would but it looked too nice to pass up, and I have a soft spot for 372's, and hard to come by used ones this nice. My plan is to mod it with cut squish band and no cutting windows into the piston to see how much different it'll be then my other 372 which has popup piston and windowed piston, only thing it doesn't have real high compression, only about 160, I'm hoping to pump this one up much higher then that, and compare the two saws, my other one runs very well for only 160psi. So this newer one will be also getting a new OEM single ring piston, so I'm guessing this one will out run my other, well that's what I'm hoping anyway.

Apologize in advance for my slow moving builds. I think I have everything needed to build this saw though, missing clutch cover though, but that can be borrowed from another saw for testing. Testing will probably be done with a 20" bar and new off the reel Stihl chain, I'll probably make a cant out of 8x8's or something.

All taken apart and all cleaned up ready for assembly.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Use a clutch cover from the 2010 or later XPW it is wider. The XT Strato 372

Will. . . Christmas is just around the corner, and you're building me a 372!!??

Gosh, I always knew you was alright. :msp_wub:

Looks like a new saw from what I can see. Nice:clap:

Yep it is!!

Use a clutch cover from the 2010 or later XPW it is wider. The XT Strato 372

Good to know, but I'll use what I can get, I never had any issue with the stock covers.

Will. . . Christmas is just around the corner, and you're building me a 372!!??

Gosh, I always knew you was alright. :msp_wub:

Hmmm, :msp_ohmy::msp_ohmy: You're nice, but not that nice!! LOL

I got a 371 to build that I was gona sell.

Well fiddlesticks -- there goes my Holiday spirit! :cry:

:laugh:

Looks like a fun build, I'll be plugged in and watching close. :popcorn:

Well fiddlesticks -- there goes my Holiday spirit! :cry:

Looks like a fun build, I'll be plugged in and watching close. :popcorn:

LOL, sorry to crush your heart like that. I'm hoping to get something done every night, we'll see hard to get out there every night though, wife starts wondering what the heck I'm doing. Haven't done much with saws the past year, so want to get back to some projects here.

I'm also patiently waiting on a Webber customs 372 full wrap.

You and me both! I have a 372 that needs one. :laugh:

Rod will be in PNG till late October. . . Then I kick him right in his sac so'z he has some motivation. :check:

LOL, sorry to crush your heart like that. I'm hoping to get something done every night, we'll see hard to get out there every night though, wife starts wondering what the heck I'm doing. Haven't done much with saws the past year, so want to get back to some projects here.

Hopefully you'll have a 562XPW to play with here soon. The 372XPW parts finally came in...

You and me both! I have a 372 that needs one. :laugh:

Rod will be in PNG till late October. . . Then I kick him right in his sac so'z he has some motivation. :check:

LOL, that'll get him movin! Well I didn't know you had a 372, now I don't feel bad anymore.

Hopefully you'll have a 562XPW to play with here soon. The 372XPW parts finally came in...

YUMMMMMMM, sweet, can't wait, I just moved the boat out of the garage tonight for a bit, getting tired of pushing it in and out every time I work on a saw, now I can get **** done.

You just let me know when I should start shipping this truckload of saws and parts your way!!

LOL, that'll get him movin! Well I didn't know you had a 372, now I don't feel bad anymore.

No, you should still feel bad. . . I wanted two. :cry:

Actually, after running Forrest's 562 this spring -- I want one of those eventually. I was waaay impressed with that little firecracker!

I need to get my pro-saw stable up to snuff. I have a proposal out for two large tree projects, one is a big hazard tree deal, and the other is a 40 acre stewardship gig.

No, you should still feel bad. . . I wanted two. :cry:

Actually, after running Forrest's 562 this spring -- I want one of those eventually. I was waaay impressed with that little firecracker!

I need to get my pro-saw stable up to snuff. I have a proposal out for two large tree projects, one is a big hazard tree deal, and the other is a 40 acre stewardship gig.

Cool, is your 372 stock? At one point I had 4 372's, sold a few to by buddy. Now down to 1 runner and 1 371 that needs to be put back together, and now this one, along with many other saws.

Cool, is your 372 stock? At one point I had 4 372's, sold a few to by buddy. Now down to 1 runner and 1 371 that needs to be put back together, and now this one, along with many other saws.

Yeah, it is bone stock.

It's at Rod's shop to template on. It developed the classic tank leak, so JJ sent me a tank -- the awesome fella that he is.

When Rod's done with it, it'll be getting the treatment.

Yeah, it is bone stock.

It's at Rod's shop to template on. It developed the classic tank leak, so JJ sent me a tank -- the awesome fella that he is.

When Rod's done with it, it'll be getting the treatment.

Sweet!! You'll have to post a thread on it when you build it. Ya JJ is a great guy, always been pretty great to me.

Sweet!! You'll have to post a thread on it when you build it. Ya JJ is a great guy, always been pretty great to me.

I haven't done a thread in a long ass time. . . They take a lot of extra work to document.

I'm going to be busier than a three peckered billy-goat for the foreseeable future.

Everyone and their dog wants something, and I'm falling behind.

[/complaining]

I haven't done a thread in a long ass time. . . They take a lot of extra work to document.

I'm going to be busier than a three peckered billy-goat for the foreseeable future.

Everyone and their dog wants something, and I'm falling behind.

[/complaining]

Yup they do take some extra time, but its fun. Good luck. Sounds like you're as busy as a 1 armed wall paper hanger.

That looks way better than I thought it would.....I shoulda bid on that one after all...lol:hmm3grin2orange:

I actually thought you paid plenty, Will, but I'm um er, "frugal". :)

Ya like I said, more then I normally pay for a blowed up saw, but it looked nice. If I didn't have the parts already to fix it, it wouldn't of been worth it to me, if you had to buy the parts you'd be into it for $450ish, after shipping and the dam tax they charged me.

Ya like I said, more then I normally pay for a blowed up saw, but it looked nice. If I didn't have the parts already to fix it, it wouldn't of been worth it to me, if you had to buy the parts you'd be into it for $450ish, after shipping and the dam tax they charged me.

Yeah, I've only been able to buy one 288 from those guys. Every other saw or group of saws, sells for way more than I think they're worth.

Back