372XP Rebuild and mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My plan is to mod it with cut squish band and no cutting windows into the piston to see how much different it'll be then my other 372 which has popup piston and windowed piston, only thing it doesn't have real high compression, only about 160, I'm hoping to pump this one up much higher then that, and compare the two saws, my other one runs very well for only 160psi. So this newer one will be also getting a new OEM single ring piston, so I'm guessing this one will out run my other, well that's what I'm hoping anyway.

I'm not convinced on the windows either, to make them worth while you have to raise the lower transfers really high and you are loosing a lot of crankcase compression and port velocity that way. I think it would be better to cut the full shirt ridge off under the pin and allow more flow through there, only raising the lowers up to the base surface. I have a 372BB kit I'm in the process of putting together this way.

Yeah, I've only been able to buy one 288 from those guys. Every other saw or group of saws, sells for way more than I think they're worth.

Same here, first saw I bought from there.

I'm not convinced on the windows either, to make them worth while you have to raise the lower transfers really high and you are loosing a lot of crankcase compression and port velocity that way. I think it would be better to cut the full shirt ridge off under the pin and allow more flow through there, only raising the lowers up to the base surface. I have a 372BB kit I'm in the process of putting together this way.

Ya we'll see what happens, I'd like to see how yours turns out.

Any ideas on what happened to the piston?

No idea, there has been no previous port work done, all the bearings are intact as far as I can tell, I really thought there would be cylinder damage with that, there was junk everywhere from it all in the bottom end, in the bearings, in the combustion chamber.

check the rod for heat damage. i had one identical to that... except mine took out the jug, put it all back together with a used 372 jug and OEM husky windowed piston, new bearings and seals, etc only to have the lower rod bearing go out screwing up my new jug and piston.

Last edited:
check the rod for heat damage. i had one identical to that... except mine took out the jug, put it all back together with a used 372 piston and OEM husky windowed piston, new bearings and seals, etc only to have the lower rod bearing go out screwing up my new jug and piston.

Yes, it does look suspect, I think I mentioned that earlier, appears to have a very slight amount of play too, looks like it got hot. I'm going to use a new aftermarket crank.

ah, i probably missed it... just got back into the saw bug myself... been a few years or four... of course i have to cut some wood like yesterday if I plan on using the fire in the new house anytime this winter...amazing how needing to cut firewood breaks out the fixing/modding in all of us tinker-ers. Who makes aftermarket cranks? I haven't been on the up and up...

ah, i probably missed it... just got back into the saw bug myself... been a few years or four... of course i have to cut some wood like yesterday if I plan on using the fire in the new house anytime this winter...amazing how needing to cut firewood breaks out the in all of us tinker-ers. Who makes aftermarket cranks? I haven't been on the up and up...

Not sure who makes them, but Baileys sells them, I got my given to me to test one out for someone, it looks really good, but looks don't mean everything, who knows what the metal and hardening is like.

Ya, I'm still having fun with saws, I'm just a firewood cutter myself, to heat my house. I really love wood heat!! Good luck with your saws, do you have many left? Or did you sell them?

Not sure who makes them, but Baileys sells them, I got my given to me to test one out for someone, it looks really good, but looks don't mean everything, who knows what the metal and hardening is like.

Ya, I'm still having fun with saws, I'm just a firewood cutter myself, to heat my house. I really love wood heat!! Good luck with your saws, do you have many left? Or did you sell them?

I still have quite a few... I don't cut and sell firewood anymore, and don't have time for tree removals... unboxing stuff i found all kinds of almost finished projects. The MS360 that I machined and ported 4-5 years ago and never got together, my Fresh all NOS brand new rebuild 084... needs a carb yet.. couple 066/660 and 440/460 projects saws. Just got the 360 together the other night. That thing really rips for a 60cc saw. wish there was a way to put a HD filter on it...

Stihl have my 372, 371, 55 with a Partner 5K p/c, Low hour 660, 5 or 6 tankful 440, the 5100 that I only muffler modded, my 7900, poulan S6000, and lots more of parts saws. I think I have enough saw parts to rebuild half of the US.

I'm going to try, try being the key word to dwindle down to one 50cc saw, one 70-80cc saw and my 660. I don't need all these saws anymore, but want to keep my domars and the 660 the 372. So hard to just choose.... lol

How about you? Wish I would have gotten to drink some beers with ya in vancouver... tried, just couldn't get away

I still have quite a few... I don't cut and sell firewood anymore, and don't have time for tree removals... unboxing stuff i found all kinds of almost finished projects. The MS360 that I machined and ported 4-5 years ago and never got together, my Fresh all NOS brand new rebuild 084... needs a carb yet.. couple 066/660 and 440/460 projects saws. Just got the 360 together the other night. That thing really rips for a 60cc saw. wish there was a way to put a HD filter on it...

Stihl have my 372, 371, 55 with a Partner 5K p/c, Low hour 660, 5 or 6 tankful 440, the 5100 that I only muffler modded, my 7900, poulan S6000, and lots more of parts saws. I think I have enough saw parts to rebuild half of the US.

I'm going to try, try being the key word to dwindle down to one 50cc saw, one 70-80cc saw and my 660. I don't need all these saws anymore, but want to keep my domars and the 660 the 372. So hard to just choose.... lol

How about you? Wish I would have gotten to drink some beers with ya in vancouver... tried, just couldn't get away

I still have a fair number of saws, I do sell a couple every now and then to keep the numbers down, I just don't have the room. Just sold two saws, so getting two more done LOL. Got quite a few runners, and always have a few projects, got some old saws too. Ya would of been cool to meet up with ya, but I figured you were going to be really busy over there, not too worry though.

Crank bearings came in.

Bearings installed, and gasket in place.

attachment.php

Crank installed in one half, I seat it as far as it will go with a few light taps with a dead blow hammer.

attachment.php

Crankcase all together and crank seated and centered.

attachment.php

Just just have to clean some light alluminum transfer and put the piston and cylinder on and get some numbers.

Cylinder all cleaned up, wish it came up a little better, but it'll be fine, I've run worse! LOL

The camera make it looks worse then it is, I can very slightly feel the score on the right with my nail.

attachment.php

Cylinder and piston mounted to check timing numbers. I've checked squish so far and its at .030"??? That's the tightest 372 I've ever measured, maybe this single ring OEM piston is taller??? Its the first I've used.

attachment.php

Luckily that score is below the exhaust port, so all is well. As far as the squish goes, I've noticed the earlier cylinders were tighter. So that might be an early jug.

That cylinder cleaned up not bad at all, Will.

I put an 064 together for myself with a really badly scored cylinder once, just to see how far a guy can push these thing and get away with using crap parts. That thing made really good compression, and I pulled it apart after about 50 tanks and the piston looked fine.....I don't know how often a guy would get away with stuff like that for his own use, but it shows how forgiving they can be as long as the transfer is all gone.

That cylinder cleaned up not bad at all, Will.

I put an 064 together for myself with a really badly scored cylinder once, just to see how far a guy can push these thing and get away with using crap parts. That thing made really good compression, and I pulled it apart after about 50 tanks and the piston looked fine.....I don't know how often a guy would get away with stuff like that for his own use, but it shows how forgiving they can be as long as the transfer is all gone.

Yep! I've ran worse! LOL. This one should be no problem at all, and will last a long time.

Latest posts

Back