372xp Stripped Dog Threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oguruma

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2011 372xp for cheap. It runs well but has stripped threads on the inside felling spike. I know the crankcase is magnesium, so how does this complicate repairing this? Is the only viable option to replace the crankcase?

Time-sert will work like a champ. My Jonsered has a helicoil holding the spike on. Timeserts are a bit pricey.

Jeremy

Or drill and tap slightly larger and use a non-metric bolt. Done that several times.

Get a drill and tap decimel equilivent chart.
It will show all drill and tap sizes. Find the size you have then find the next size up. It may be metric or SAE. Drill and tap to that size.
This will get you a tapped hole with the least amount of material removed.

Almost all highly used 372's have the bottom inside dawg bolt hole stripped or it has been repaired.

Also the starter side of the brake flag pivot bolt hole will be stripped out.

get some 162/266 cylinder bolts, drill and tap to 6x1.25, and your good to go. actually got one of my 385's done up like that. you can also use some 365/372 muffler bolts but drill/tap to 6x1 instead. the 357/359 muffler bolts are also 6x1 but the perfect length.

I bought a 390xp this summer with the same hole stripped as your 372. I'm going to heli coil it. Thought about just drilling and tapping to the next size larger sae size, but a heli coil is stronger than that soft magnesium. If it stripped out once, it could very easily do it again.

Latest posts

Back